News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reverse is for smart people

Started by billschroeder5842, September 01, 2012, 05:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

If it makes you feel any better I backed over my wife's focus 4 years ago in my lifted f250.............

billschroeder5842

Thanks, but I feel sorry for you!

I have not heard the end of it from my wife about me being a "Bad driver"

Bimmer goes in next week--drop it off in the morning and pick it up the next night.

No work yet on the Charger....but that is an October expense!
Texas Proud!

JB400

When I was 4, I was sitting in my mom's new Plymouth Duster Turismo in the passenger seat.  We lived at the top of a steep hill.  She got out and left me in the car.  I grabbed hold of the shifer and pulled it in to first.  No the car was not running.  The car rolled down and knocked out the left side mirror.  I didn't get in trouble.
I worked in a salvage yard in high school.  I took out the left side quarter panel and ripped off the entire door skin on a 96 cavalier.  It's all plastic.  Luckily, the car  was smashed on the right side. :icon_smile_big:

billschroeder5842

Got the Bimmer back yesterday---looks good.

Got the Charger estimate...$883.00

Ouch!
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

Well hopefully soon you come on here and tell us it looks great too.  Still sorry this happened to your Charger of course but it could have been worse as we have said.

bill440rt

$883 is not bad at all.
I take it he is repairing everything?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Homerr

$20,833 isn't bad at all for a restoration.   :2thumbs:

Lord Warlock

at least you have only done it once,  I on the other hand have done it at least twice, possibly three times.  Luckily it wasn't the charger r/t that was involved or i'd be suicidal.  (can't murder the culprit when you can only blame yourself)  I backed out of the garage in my stealth twin turbo, and nailed the neighbor's van who had parked it there to do some maid work for the wife when she was prego 16 years back, put a small dent in the front bumper of the neighbors car, used insurance to fix it (which then promptly raised my rates for 3 years), but only scratched the rear bumper of the stealth which i fixed myself. 
Then I repeated the process again with the stealth backing up into the wifes Intrepid, again no major damage to either car, thank goodness for an elastomeric style rear bumper on the stealth, it actually rode up the nose enough to lift the body of the stealth up....whipped out the buffer and some compound and couldn't tell i'd done anything. 

I eventually replaced the rear bumper of the stealth just because it had a dimple in it.  I believe i did it again with one the mustangs i had, again with one of my wife's daily drivers, but can't put a finger exactly which one. 

I usually look out the kitchen window before going into the garage, use the garage door opener, and look behind me as the door starts to go up, but obviously forgot a couple/few times.  Nowadays I am alot more careful doing it as its too expensive to fix a 40k car for being stupid.

I'm a safe driver when i'm on the street having had one accident in 30+ years of driving, and it was minor and not my fault as the other guy veered into my lane and my avoiding him caused the accident i was in, but i'm semi dangerous in my own driveway. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

A383Wing

kinda proves the theory that most accidents occur within a few miles of home...wonder what the stats are of accidents in your own driveway

Bryan

Ghoste

Which maybe just means that most of us don't drive nearly as far as we think we do?

billschroeder5842

**UPDATE**

I took the Charger in today to get the rear end fixed--a penelty tax from my stupidity. The guy who owns the place (Hollywood Finishes, Keller, Texas) has a '70 charger that he is fixing for his own use, so he was crawling all over mine looking comparing etc. His '70 will be magnificent when he is done.

I pick it up next Friday as I have a couple of extra things being done to it. I'm traveling next week so the timing works out perfectly.

I think my baby is in good hands!
Texas Proud!

hatersaurusrex

Don't feel bad... when I was in high school I had a 91 Ford Ranger, and I got in it one November morning to go to school and forgot that my sis had her 88 Civic parked right behind me.   I put it in reverse without looking back and BANG.   Of course my old man has a temper like a pit bull, so I jumped out in a panic and looked, luckily only a little abrasion on her bumper so just backed out through the yard and went on my way before anyone could see what happened.    She never knew either, and probably won't unless she buys a Charger and comes lurking on here :)

A few years ago, my wife's jeep was parked behind my F150, so I cut the wheels and backed out of the driveway through the yard.  Right as I got to the road, I heard a nasty metal-on-metal scraping sound.   I was looking in the rearview the whole way so I assumed a bearing gave out or something else.   Got out and looked underneath, nothing there.  Went around behind the truck and... yeah.  Mailbox.   It put a couple of ugly scratches on my tailgate but talk about feeling stupid.   If you've never owned an 04-08 F150, the beds on those things are very high in the air.   I never saw the mailbox in the mirror.   I'm glad I didn't have one of those fancy brick jobs...

I banged the mailbox back onto the post and went on to work, but every time I look at those scratches now I feel stupid.

Maybe the moral of the story is 'Don't back up when driving Ford trucks unless you've surveyed the area first'.   I'm sure there are guys on here who will abbreviate that to 'That's what you get for driving a Ford in the first place' :)

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Dino

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on November 10, 2012, 04:53:30 PM
Maybe the moral of the story is 'Don't back up when driving Ford trucks unless you've surveyed the area first'.   I'm sure there are guys on here who will abbreviate that to 'That's what you get for driving a Ford in the first place' :)

Fails On Reverse Drive     :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Twas backing CHRISTINE out of her hibernation about 2 months ago. Couldn't see sh*t through the dew on the glass, along with being tinted balck as night. Anyway, bout the time I'm thinking "I shoulda seen that well by now. WTF?" BANG!  $1000.00 worth of rear bumper screwed. My boy was standing there at the time and never said a word. I asked him later why the hell he didn't say something. He replied: "I figured every time I try and tell you somethings close, you yell back to "Stop yelling your gonna make me hit something", so I didn't and damn if I ain't in trouble anyway?".....I had to just laugh.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

jasonspragg

ouch, I bet you will forever check your back window when you back up.

Side note, love how minor the damage is to the charger and how major the damage is to the bimmer, gotta love the fact our cars were built like tanks and can take hits and not show alot of damage unlike fiberglass bodies

JB400

In this case Cooter, dang if you do, dang if you don't.  Dang :2thumbs:

kikgas01

Be sure to post pics of the repair!!