News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD Blaster II Coil question.....

Started by Cooter, October 10, 2012, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Ok, so I converted my old, Busted Chrysler, Non working eletronic ignition to the GM Module hidden inside like I saw somewhere, and am wondering if the MSD 6A/6AL boxes have a built in resistor for the coil, or does MSD send straight 12 volts to the Blaster coil?

Even though I'm NOT running an MSD module, I AM running the MSD coil, with GM module. I know the GM HEI has NO Resistor. Wondering if I still need one or can I run the MSD coil off the HEI module without burning up the coil.

I've gone through about three coils on the GL and it has ALL MSD stuff. Bad coils?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

The Blaster II is supposed to be able to take it, thats one of the reasons you can bypass the ballast when you switch over to that stuff.  I've run my MSD straight to my Blaster II for a few years now and no problems.

Cooter

Yes, but with MSD, they tell you plainly on the package "No resistor needed"...However, I'm NOT running the MSD box, but a GM module. I was wondering if the MSD box might have a "Built in" Resistor that nobody knows is in there.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

You can run a continuous 12V to the Blaster coil....no problem. I now use a Blaster SS with a 6AL box and it works fine. Most OEM replacement type coils are not designed for continuous 12v duty.

I'd recommend the epoxy filled Blaster coil....no oil to leak out and ruin your day.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bill440rt

Bypassed resistors here as well with an MSD6AL  & coil in two cars.  :yesnod:
I did "dummy wire" a ballast resistor in one of them just for a stock appearance. Been running the same box & coil in that car going on at least 10 years now.

You can score used 6AL's pretty cheap, too.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

lasvegas69charg

hey bill...how did you do a dummy bypass.  I want to keep the stock look also.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

bill440rt

Easy. Wired it in with the correct colored wire into the harness, wrapped it with black harness wrap tape. The "real" connections are also buried under the harness tape, IIRC the MSD was wired into the original ballast wires as an ignition source.

This is a fairly old pic (did some minor changes since then), but gives you an idea just for looks.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

lasvegas69charg

i have a blue on one side and and a blue and brown on the other side.  how do i know which one to bypass to get a 12v to the ballast?
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

John_Kunkel

Keep in mind that when using the MSD control box with the Blaster coil the box controls the power to the coil so no ballast is needed...when using the coil alone (without their control box) they specify a certain resistor be used.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

yea...what JK said....I kept the ballast in mine for looks, but I took out the resistor and installed a round metal rod and soldered it in place of the resistor

Bryan

Jaysick

The reason the ballast resistor is there is because ignition systems were designed to run on lower voltage to compensate for the volage drop during initial starting because of the drain the starter causes.  you have to keep using a resistor to drop the volage down to something like 9v unless you use a msd trigger box which is a capacitor that sends out the correct voltage to the coil on its own.  Otherwise you still need to keep the ballast resistor in place if you dont have a MSD trigger box like the 6al.