News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine rebuild

Started by twodko, October 15, 2012, 12:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I know this is hard to gauge but my 440 is getting tired with close to 100k miles on it. It already has a mild cam in it and I'll replace with same. Also the OO I bought the car from had the original pistons replaced with lower compression ratio ones.......something to do with unleaded fuel. I want to replace those with the original ratio pistons. I'm keeping the stock HP exhaust manifolds and will Install the heat blockoff valley pan. Just a basic rebuild and the shop will have to pull the engine.......that's just not something I can do myself for a number of reasons. The engine has an Edlebrock carb on it now that I don't like so I'll have the original carb rebuilt/reinstalled too.  Don't really know what machine shop labor rates are here in NorCal but I need to start budgeting for this to happen next year.

Let my education begin.......
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

pullrock

I used Mopar Engines West to rebuild my engine.  It cost me 10k but the engine was broken in and dyno ready to install.  I am sure you can skip that step to save some money.  Angie is the one who will answer the phone.  She is very knowable about engine building.

http://www.moparengineswest.com/home.htm

Thanks,

Eric
68 Charger R/T
San Jose,CA

twodko

Thanks man, I'll check them out.

BSB67

Quote from: twodko on October 15, 2012, 12:27:26 PM
I know this is hard to gauge but my 440 is getting tired with close to 100k miles on it. It already has a mild cam in it and I'll replace with same. Also the OO I bought the car from had the original pistons replaced with lower compression ratio ones.......something to do with unleaded fuel. I want to replace those with the original ratio pistons. I'm keeping the stock HP exhaust manifolds and will Install the heat blockoff valley pan. Just a basic rebuild and the shop will have to pull the engine.......that's just not something I can do myself for a number of reasons. The engine has an Edlebrock carb on it now that I don't like so I'll have the original carb rebuilt/reinstalled too.  Don't really know what machine shop labor rates are here in NorCal but I need to start budgeting for this to happen next year.

Let my education begin.......

You cannot get the original pistons or original compression height pistons assuming you have a 1969 motor.   The 6 pac piston will be your best choice if you are looking for a factory like piston. If you are using the factory 906 or other similar open chamber head, 9:1 is about all the compression ratio you will be able to handle due to the lack of quench.  Possibly more, possibly less depending on your cam.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

twodko

So I can't get pistons with the original compression ratio? I wasn't think about OEM pistons. This is going to be a big learning curve for me, glad I've begun asking you guys now.
I'm not a hardcore full on OEM maniac but my car is 98% as it came from Ma Mopar.......except new paint, upholstery and tires/wheels.
Getting the car back to it's stock 375hp would be great...still strong and still factory. Our cars can be nasty muscled and fast, part of me would like to do a 450-500hp build but then it's becomes a truly modified car.
Can't have both unless I had another engine and some Lotto money. :shruggy:

cdr

i would buy a crate engine & have it installed,less down time,keep the stock 440 in the garage,
http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/  :Twocents: build a 470 with stealth heads very small cam & you would love it
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

twodko

The street killer krate is bad nasty.  :2thumbs:

Challenger340

Quote from: twodko on October 15, 2012, 08:01:33 PM
So I can't get pistons with the original compression ratio?

Nope......but as already mentioned, the L2355F six-pack pistons are a good substitute.

Used in conjunction with the CompCams upgraded Factory resto "magnum" Camshaft, or similar from others, plus 400hp is a no brainer.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Supercharged Riot

Build the engine yourself!

Its a whole lotta fun  :yesnod: