News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lee1 / Car #71

Started by Tooz 72, October 10, 2012, 05:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

The people cashing in their 401k to buy the teenage car of their dreams no matter the cost were hardly rich but they were foolish.  Most of the truly wealthy didn't get that way by being stupid.  I lament the days of buying musclecars when they were cheap too but on the other hand, the reproduction market wouldn;t exist had that artificial price spike happened and we'd be in the ame boat as someone trying to restore a Studebaker Champion or something.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 12:41:45 AM
If you could afford the best cars would you clone up a clapped out Satellite?  Really?
That actually depends on if you can get the exact car you want with all the options you want.  If the car was available, get it.  If not, cloned Satellite it is.

Cooter

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 14, 2012, 12:44:29 AM
It's all about the pedigree.  They want documentation.  That's where the money is at.

Amen, How many cars that sell at BJ do you see back on that same damn blockj being resold again...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on October 14, 2012, 12:42:55 AM
If you could afford the best cars would you clone up a clapped out Satellite?  Really?

I'd build my badass cars, Afterall, IMO, true car guys don't give two rats asses about resale value and resale is the only reason you want to be king sh*t on turd Mtn. with a Hemi car. My 500 C.I. wedge would weld your ass to the pavement in your pure stock Hemi Cuda, but my busted Dart ain't worth what that Cuda is now is it?  but that's just me..I'm far from having money, so answering that one is a no go here.

Then you are one in a million.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 12:46:33 AM
the reproduction market wouldn;t exist had that artificial price spike happened and we'd be in the ame boat as someone trying to restore a Studebaker Champion or something.

I can remember a time when you couldn't buy brand new fenders for your Charger. I can remember welding up the fenders on my own Charger even when they were available because of pricing. I can still remember building a Mopar with junk. I still am. No, the rich didn't do me or this hobby any favors.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 14, 2012, 12:46:39 AM
That actually depends on if you can get the exact car you want with all the options you want.  If the car was available, get it.  If not, cloned Satellite it is.

Well that analogy is a little obvious don't you think.  If the car you wanted wasn't available and you had to have it then cloning is your only option.  I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about building clones versus buying the real deal if you had real wealth at your disposal.
But then again, I suspect you know that.

JB400

The people cashing in their 401k to buy the teenage car of their dreams no matter the cost were hardly rich but they were foolish.  Most of the truly wealthy didn't get that way by being stupid.  I lament the days of buying musclecars when they were cheap too but on the other hand, the reproduction market wouldn;t exist had that artificial price spike happened and we'd be in the ame boat as someone trying to restore a Studebaker Champion or something.
It's actually cheaper to do a Champion than what we are doing.  Only because there is a small niche.  And only the people that love them are redoing them.  Our cars are overpublicized and that's part of why our cars are so high.  But, your right.  It took some people to spend out of the ying yang to get their dreame car to get our hobby where it is today.  But now, we need to sit down and write the rulebook.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 12:47:28 AM
Quote from: Cooter on October 14, 2012, 12:42:55 AM
If you could afford the best cars would you clone up a clapped out Satellite?  Really?

I'd build my badass cars, Afterall, IMO, true car guys don't give two rats asses about resale value and resale is the only reason you want to be king sh*t on turd Mtn. with a Hemi car. My 500 C.I. wedge would weld your ass to the pavement in your pure stock Hemi Cuda, but my busted Dart ain't worth what that Cuda is now is it?  but that's just me..I'm far from having money, so answering that one is a no go here.

Then you are one in a million.

Far from it. Round these parts, we(Mopar guys) most all build our own cars. Some here are even well off too. One is building a Hemi Cuda clone as we speak. Because he can. one of the VERY FEW rich car guys I can relate to. He does almost ALL his own work. The ones he pays to do things for him, would do it for nothing (Me included), as he is that nice of a guy. No, far from one in a Million. Just, on the Internet maybe.

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on October 14, 2012, 12:49:44 AM
the reproduction market wouldn;t exist had that artificial price spike happened and we'd be in the ame boat as someone trying to restore a Studebaker Champion or something.

I can remember a time when you couldn't buy brand new fenders for your Charger. I can remember welding up the fenders on my own Charger even when they were available because of pricing. I can still remember building a Mopar with junk. I still am. No, the rich didn't do me or this hobby any favors.

Again, you are one in a million.  Me on the other hand, they have done me a huge favor because even though I had to keep cars running with junk too, around here the junk supply has pretty much vanished.

Ghoste

Then count your blessing Cooter because not all areas have that resource.  I wish I did.

JB400

I'm going to have to ask you to reconsider that.  You wouldn't have the parts today to build your Challenger the way you are without the aftermarket.

JB400

That's my problem right now, the junk is gone.  I have no other options than to go aftermarket.  That's why I signed on here.
Everything else is just a bonus. :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 14, 2012, 12:54:02 AM

I'm going to have to ask you to reconsider that.  You wouldn't have the parts today to build your Challenger the way you are without the aftermarket.

Well, Let's see....I looked into buying an original BB/Hemi Rear sway bar on EvilBay and at Carlisle. Rear one was over $800.00 NOS...
Looked into the front as well both places. Anything heavy, they wanted huge money for in original form. Sway bars and T-bars are bout the only aftermarket items I have "splerged" on. ALL were available way back in 1995 when my brother was looking through his PST book. No rich helped out there. Suspension parts have been around for a long time.

As for the 4-speed, 440,and Dana 60? Well, the 440 and 4-speed is a no brainer. Cheap JUNK. The Dana 60? Well, I looked into the NEW Danas..$2000.00 for what I built myself for under $500.00 out of used JUNK. Sure, i had the money to buy the new one, but refused.

As for the body? No Dynacorn unit here, just a well worn, JUNK 1972 Challenger, 318/904/8 3/4 JUNK car.

I don't see a relation...

Ghoste

I also remember seeing cracked B-body automatic consoles going for 800 bucks at swap meets.  That is until the aftermarket created the repop for 400 dollars.  Do you really think if the deep pocketed rich folks weren't willing to dish out nearly a g note for a cracked original that anyone would have bothered reproducing them?

JB400

Your only looking at the major stuff.  If it wasn't for money,  PST wouldn't exist.  That premade exhaust system that's supposed to be do it yourself  would not be possible.  Carlisle would probably never exist.  It's all those nickel and dime stuff we take for granted is what I'm looking at.  It's stuff like that that gets the average joe into the hobby.  But, we're not average, we're one of a kind. :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 01:04:19 AM
I also remember seeing cracked B-body automatic consoles going for 800 bucks at swap meets.  That is until the aftermarket created the repop for 400 dollars.  Do you really think if the deep pocketed rich folks weren't willing to dish out nearly a g note for a cracked original that anyone would have bothered reproducing them?

I was rebuilding consoles for B-bodies back 1996 when i had my Satellite. No way in hell was i gonna pay $400.00 for a reopop then or now. All the aftermarket/rich folk did was make my used sh*t worth more.

A crack here, or there doesn't bother me like others. Wanted a 4-speed console in the GL...Was i gonna pay the repop price? Nope. Even though they are available, it has none to this day. i will find a well worn. busted, thrown away for junk one and rebuild it cheaper. until then, I refuse to believe the rich "Created" the aftermarket supply of parts, and the little guys building cars and asking for parts didn't have anything to do with it at all. No way.

JB400

If it wasn't for the rich guys, we wouldn't have as many cars on the road as we do today.  In other words, they made your stuff worth less than if they spent their money elsewhere.

Ghoste

Tilting at windmills comes to mind.  Ah well.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 01:12:11 AM
Tilting at windmills comes to mind.  Ah well.
Sorry, first time I heard that expression.  But, I think I get what you mean.

Cooter

Anyway, back to Lee 1. and his new "Rich" owner.

Ghoste

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on October 14, 2012, 01:16:24 AM
Anyway, back to Lee 1. and his new "Rich" owner.
As long as the new owner is happy with the car, that's fine.  But, when it comes time to sell it, full disclosure needs to be given as to what has been done to the car.

Ghoste

I think the full disclosure is mostly out there now. :lol:

lukedukem

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 01:19:43 AM

exactly.   :lol:
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2012, 01:19:43 AM
Hopefully, the next buyer is aware of it.