News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How many General Lee owners here ?

Started by 440, October 10, 2012, 02:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own a General Lee or Standard Charger?

General Lee
35 (33.7%)
Standard
62 (59.6%)
Undecided
7 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Ghoste

Really?  That surprises me a little.  I don't know why exactly, I guess maybe I just figured if you were a fan of the GL then one of the ones from the show would be a grail?

Dino

I watched DOH as a kid like everyone else, but I wouldn't want to own a GL.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I'd rather own a real one then a replica, the only problem with that is you get stuck between two evils. On one hand you want to restore the car but catch flack for doing so or (depending on the car) you have a car that is pretty sub standard.

JB400

A mut is just as good as a pedigree to some people.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on October 16, 2012, 06:46:36 AM
Really?  That surprises me a little.  I don't know why exactly, I guess maybe I just figured if you were a fan of the GL then one of the ones from the show would be a grail?

No, you are just assuming I'm like everybody else and just would give my left nut to own a Hemi Superbird/Daytona/Cuda/etc. and that isn't the case.
Do the research, the 17 remaining cars were JUNK!!! Many came to the new owners who paid OUT THE ASS for a big, steaming pile of dog sh*t unloaded of the trailer. Simply so they can tell all their buddies they own a "Real" big POS. Not I. I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if i spent that much on a roach of a WB car.
I'm perfectly content owning my junk my way...No real GL for me. Too much With babysitting a clone, i can only emagine having to babaysit and b*tch at every little person looking for a "Trophy" momento from it....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 16, 2012, 06:53:50 AM
A mut is just as good as a pedigree to some people.

In my case it's better.  I looked for a long time to find a non R/T as I did not want to restore a Charger to fender tag specs.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

Loved the DoH and the GL. As a kid I wanted one. Now, not so sure I'd want one anymore. They're actually very commonplace around these parts in the northeast US. I can think of at least half a dozen owned by close friends nearby.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on October 16, 2012, 06:54:37 AM
Really?  That surprises me a little.  I don't know why exactly, I guess maybe I just figured if you were a fan of the GL then one of the ones from the show would be a grail?

No, you are just assuming I'm like everybody else and just would give my left nut to own a Hemi Superbird/Daytona/Cuda/etc. and that isn't the case.
Do the research, the 17 remaining cars were JUNK!!! Many came to the new owners who paid OUT THE ASS for a big, steaming pile of dog sh*t unloaded of the trailer. Simply so they can tell all their buddies they own a "Real" big POS. Not I. I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if i spent that much on a roach of a WB car.
I'm perfectly content owning my junk my way...No real GL for me. Too much With babysitting a clone, i can only emagine having to babaysit and b*tch at every little person looking for a "Trophy" momento from it....

I don't know that I ever thought that but I can understand what you are saying about babysitting. 

kikgas01

Quote from: Cooter on October 16, 2012, 06:54:37 AM

They gave 5 grand a piece. ANY RUNNING CHARGER IS WORTH THAT!!!!!!!! THEY WERE NOT ALL CRAP!!!!!!! I am thinking I might need another General.....A nice one....

skip68

I got my car from a sound guy at fox studios in LA.   He told me that Warner Bros was paying $2,500 per car if it was complete but no motor.   :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

WB General Lee

I have a hard time believing someone would not want a real General Lee. Maybe not everyone is in the position to buy one for whatever reason it may be which is fine. There are not enough real cars available. It's no different than would you own a 440 car over a Hemi car. Or in my case I am looking for a winged car. I would like to have a Hemi Daytona but I will most likely end up with a 440 4spd Superbird because it will be more practical and affordable for me.

Cooter

Quote from: kikgas01 on October 16, 2012, 07:24:54 AMThey gave 5 grand a piece. ANY RUNNING CHARGER IS WORTH THAT!!!!!!!! THEY WERE NOT ALL CRAP!!!!!!! I am thinking I might need another General.....A nice one....

Not saying you are wrong, but my opinion/facts/whatevfer differ on the prices paid. Right? Wrong? indifferent, doesn't matter, point is, babysitting a real anything can and usually is a PITA..Look at how mnay have taken Momentos from The Farm house. Really? A piece of old ass wood i can "Clone" by walking out in my backyard, you drove all the way to Georgia or wherever, to steal??? Not I..Not I...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Stealing chunks off the house?!  Now THAT really surprises me.  You gottta be seriously hardcore into something to want a hunk of wood.

Mr. Lee

Quote from: GL#10 on October 16, 2012, 12:30:51 AM
I have owned and still own

one replica

3 tv series and 4 Movie General lee's

#57 #76 #13  #4  #10 #17 # 18 

Who wouldn't want to own a GL  ???

I think no one can exceed your GL collection K.c.  :2thumbs:

Boy, would I love to own a real series-used one, but I guess that's out of range for me.  Will you share pics of your cars here?

Mike DC

The framework under the original Georgia "Duke Farm" was a log cabin that dated back to the Civil War era.  It was being torn down (not salvageable) so people were grabbing chunks of it on occasion when they visited it.  It's not that strange IMHO.

Owning a real Warner Bros GL is a mixed blessing, particularly the most valuable surviving TV-series cars.  

It's like owning a low-optioned 318 survivor that is not really the car you wanted, but it's a shame to start modifying it.  The TV-series GLs are like that but much farther worse along those lines.  The cars look more like HLPAG jobs than decent replicas, and they drive like them too.  They are barely driveable on public roads and they don't live up to people's mental picture of The Real General Lee at all.  

Several of the owners of the TV  series survivors also own a better condition replica to cruise.

Ghoste

Oh, ok.  I thought it was like a place where someone was now living or something and people were coming up and breaking chunks off of their home.

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on October 16, 2012, 01:57:20 PM
Oh, ok.  I thought it was like a place where someone was now living or something and people were coming up and breaking chunks off of their home.

If I remember correctly at one time a member on CGLFC  has something to do with tearing it down and he was selling pieces of the old house.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Mr. Lee

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on October 16, 2012, 02:09:43 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 16, 2012, 01:57:20 PM

If I remember correctly at one time a member on CGLFC  has something to do with tearing it down and he was selling pieces of the old house.

It was posted on the CGLFC but this is the story:

.....As you have probably already heard the Dukes farmhouse in Georgia is being dismantled. The owner was told it was a safety hazard and he is currently having it torn down. The contractor is saving the pieces and selling them. The money he raises will help pay him for the job.....

I thought I read somewhere that they started tearing it down but were going to save it once they learnt the history about it.

Brightyellow69rtse

i dont own one, but i would absolutely love to one day. super cool looking car imo!

Mr. Lee

hatersaurusrex

Interesting shots of what was left of the farmhouse from a geocacher taken a few years ago (nothing but two chimneys left now):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8738830c-9cc7-4b5a-a62f-2ae4c16a4e1f

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

BlueSS454

I may be joining the EX GL owner club soon.  As some have already said, babysitting them anywhere you take it be it a screen used one or a clone can become a bit of a burden.  Some aspects of owning one can get slightly on the irritating side of it too.  I've had people in the interstate almost crash into me several times trying to take cell phone pics and drive. 
I have had a lot of fun with mine and it has opened doors to some really good experiences, but I am coming to the point of letting it go and letting someone else have fun with it.  I have a few other reasons for coming to this decision as well, some financial, some personal.  It would be going to a member here so I know it would be in good hands  :yesnod:
Tom Rightler

Alex87

mine will be when its done
69 Charger 440

elanmars

Quote from: BlueSS454 on November 02, 2012, 04:11:48 PM
I may be joining the EX GL owner club soon.  As some have already said, babysitting them anywhere you take it be it a screen used one or a clone can become a bit of a burden.  Some aspects of owning one can get slightly on the irritating side of it too.  I've had people in the interstate almost crash into me several times trying to take cell phone pics and drive. 
I have had a lot of fun with mine and it has opened doors to some really good experiences, but I am coming to the point of letting it go and letting someone else have fun with it.  I have a few other reasons for coming to this decision as well, some financial, some personal.  It would be going to a member here so I know it would be in good hands  :yesnod:

What's your price? though I'd de-General-ize it...
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography