News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley carb ?????? second time

Started by Highbanked Hauler, August 30, 2012, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I have what I believe to be a 600 CFM  with vacume secondaries.. What tells the cfm on this thing  and it has a dead spot for about 2 sec. when you step on the throttle. After it passes the dead spot its fine.. Ideas??  
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

firefighter3931

The choke horn will have a list # stamped on it which will tell what it is.  :scope:

The flat spot is just tuning ; the vacuum pod may have a leak/torn diaphram or the spring is too stiff.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Highbanked Hauler

not familiar with carburetors.   Its gone from a flat spot to a bog till I get the throttle half way down  and   then it starts to haul.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chryco Psycho

typically it is in the accelerator pump , Start with looking down the throat of the carb , there should be a shot of fuel as the throttle is opened  , next look at the linkage / pump arm if there is play that is the bog , there should be Zero play , the pump arm should move with the slightest movement of the throttle ,if not the screw will need to be lengthened or the arm bent to eliminate all play , make sure the arm doesn't bottom out at full pump though .
Next you could have a blockage in the pump the pump arm should move easily , if the spring compresses but the arm does not move fule can harden in the passage block flow , , you can unscrew the squirter under the choke plate , be careful there are 2 paper gaskets one above & below the squirter . you will need needle nose plier to lift the squirter out & install it , thereis a check pin under the screw to prevent back flow this is often stuck just give it a tap & it will break free , try the squirter again Gently to confirm fuel flow  .
If nothing else works check the float level , if it is low it will bog .
Let us knwo waht you find .

XH29N0G

A quick addition.

If you remove the squirter without taking the carburetor off the car, you will want to make sure nothing drops down the barrels. 
The first time I did this, I put a piece of cloth down the throat and it caught what I dropped.

If there is a problem with this, I am sure someone will pipe in.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Highbanked Hauler

here is what I have so far..   I pumped the throttle and it did squirt gas in the front barrels. the pump arm and the linkage moves no problem. with no gas in the carb  I could hear the pump try to work BUT I noticed a very small stream of gas come out of the gasket just above the accelerator pump so I may have found the problem. When I change the gasket should I change the accelerator pump also as I am not sure how long it has sat ???
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dmichels

1 what engine is the 600 on? is it built
2 your bog could be the accel pump but it also could be the sec spring
3 if I remeber right the accel pump diaphram and gasket is one piece
4 you may want to rebuild  the whole carb there may be other issues
5 buy the book "Holley  Rebuilding and Modifying" (Amazon has it) It is geared for the beginer but goes in depth on tuning and troubleshooting. I bought it 20 years ago for my first rebuild and still take it out for reference.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Chryco Psycho

the gasket is split above the squirter so you are getting more fuel than it should , there are 2 thin paper gaskets , one above & below change both as a starting point

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 31, 2012, 09:57:00 PM
the gasket is split above the squirter so you are getting more fuel than it should , there are 2 thin paper gaskets , one above & below change both as a starting point

Does this thing have a "power valve" in it as I have heard they cause a flood out problem??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chryco Psycho

yes & they can cause problems , they are rated in inches of vacuum the valve stays closed until vacuum drops lower than the rating so make sure you get the same one or measure the engine vacuum to get the correct one , typically 6.5" is factory if you have an larger cam 4.5 may be better suited

cuda66273

Always Ignition 1st then carburetion...

Where the initial timing at?
Where the total?
Are you using the vac can on the distributor what port is connected to?