News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona Tires

Started by 69hemidaytona, October 09, 2012, 09:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69hemidaytona

I'm wondering if all Hemi Daytonas came with F70x15 Goodyear polyglas custom wide tread tires. I'd also like to know if NOS, reproduction, or both had  numbers ink stamped on the tread.

hemigeno

I am not sure there's a definitive answer to that question.  Recently, late-built 1969 cars have been observed with original F70x14 Goodyear Speedway tires which were previously thought to be only a '68 or early '69 tire (those weren't Hemicars, of course).  I've heard others say they feel only a Firestone brand 14" tire is correct for late '69.  My assumption would be that F70x15's would follow that same pattern, but I haven't researched the topic all that well.  The A12 guys go nutso over finding Goodyears in that diameter, so I might lean a little bit more in that direction.  IMHO, if you can find either of the two Goodyear styles or the Firestone equivalent (especially if they have good date codes), get 'em.  You're probably not going to make every "expert" happy anyway no matter what's on the car, so get whatever you can.

As for inkstamps, I'd guess that most of the assembly-line tires had visible ink stripes and numbering when new... but without any stickers on the tread like you would see on vintage tires that would come from a tire shop or the dealership.  Depending on the source of vintage tires, you might find they have stickers which need to be pulled off - but I don't know if they had inkstamps as well (possibly so   :shruggy:  ).  Repro tires all come with stickers, but I don't think they have inkstamps or at least any that remotely resemble the original stuff.

:Twocents:

pettybird

A12 cars should be G70, no?

maxwellwedge

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 10, 2012, 12:49:59 PM
G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

A man with all the answers spoken with the fewest words.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 10, 2012, 12:57:38 PM
G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

That DB has been scarce around here too   :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

maxwellwedge

G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

I did say yes twice..... ;)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: moparstuart on October 10, 2012, 01:09:06 PM
G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

I am a Ford guy now...kidding!  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 10, 2012, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 10, 2012, 01:09:06 PM
G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

I am a Ford guy now...kidding!  :lol:
we knew about the GM's and could somewhat overlook that but this is too much   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

Stu, what do you have against Ford. They did not take Billions of dollars of tax dollars from us, like Chrysler and GM.  With that in mind, none of us saw any benefit from it.  Todays Chrysler is 50 percent owned by Fiat.  :brickwall:

hemigeno

Quote from: pettybird on October 10, 2012, 12:29:16 PM
A12 cars should be G70, no?

G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

Thanks for the correction   :2thumbs:   Forgot that the lift off hood cars are extra-special.

odcics2

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 10, 2012, 01:46:15 PM
Stu, what do you have against Ford. They did not take Billions of dollars of tax dollars from us, like Chrysler and GM.  With that in mind, none of us saw any benefit from it.  Todays Chrysler is 50 percent owned by Fiat.  :brickwall:

Actually, I think its 52% owned by Fiat.  But, getting a loan and "taking" are 2 different things.  Chrysler has paid back the government dollars that were loaned under Obama.  The interest rate they were charging was highway robbery!!
As far as direct benefits to you, you can still go to a dealer, or aftermarket, and buy MoPar parts for your cars...  old and new.   I won't even mention the hundreds of thousands of dealership jobs, vendor jobs, trucking jobs, factory jobs, engineering jobs, etc.  Even guys building pallets are working.   They all pay taxes, too.  

All those "direct" folks buy everything that you do for your home to keep the economy running.  

I digress: I have personally seen F-70-14 Goodyears with ink stamped numbers on the tread.   I have seen an NOS G-70-15 red line also stamped.   Like stated above no stickers, just ink stamps.

p.s. IMO when Chrysler was taken over by Daimler, it's heart was torn out...  :eek2:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemigeno

Quote from: odcics2 on October 10, 2012, 03:38:39 PM
I digress: I have personally seen F-70-14 Goodyears with ink stamped numbers on the tread.   I have seen an NOS G-70-15 red line also stamped.   Like stated above no stickers, just ink stamps.

Hey Greg - rumor has it that the vintage set of tires I have were purchased from you years ago; and might even be the set you referenced just now... any truth to that, or the other rumors that they were assembly plant cast-offs when the change was made to RWL Polyglas for the '70 model year?

:scratchchin:

odcics2

Who did you buy them from?   What are the 5 date codes?   I'd need to see the actual tread, too.  Post a photo.  There are different versions of the tread, depending on the tire being assembly line or 'after market' from the Goodyear store.  Or even used on other brands!

So.. who says they are cast offs?   There are a lot of folks out there that know everything, and will be the first to tell you that!

Me? I know nothing!   :smilielol:

69hemidaytona

Quote from: odcics2 on October 10, 2012, 05:21:51 PM
Who did you buy them from?   What are the 5 date codes?   I'd need to see the actual tread, too.  Post a photo.  There are different versions of the tread, depending on the tire being assembly line or 'after market' from the Goodyear store.  Or even used on other brands!

So.. who says they are cast offs?   There are a lot of folks out there that know everything, and will be the first to tell you that!

Me? I know nothing!   :smilielol:
WHAT? Now I need to not only be looking for the right brand, size, stripe color, and date code, but also the correct tread pattern?  :pullinghair: This might be one of those places where I'm going to have to settle for less than perfection.

odcics2

Details details....   It's either correct, or it's not.    And you get to decide it it's worth the time and effort.     

69hemidaytona

Quote from: odcics2 on October 10, 2012, 08:29:38 PM
Details details....   It's either correct, or it's not.    And you get to decide it it's worth the time and effort.     
And don't forget the money!

odcics2

HA!  A rather LARGE detail!  :lol:

Mopar John

If you look at the pictures of our Daytona up on the rack being judged at the Mopar Nats you can see the ink marks on the front two tires!
This post is dated Aug 16th 2010. These front two tires were part of a five tire deal with three being NOS and two correct date coded almost new tires. I remember pealing what was left of the Goodyear stickers off the two fronts. So I think these tires had both ink marks and Goodyear stickers. The last one had almost a complete Goodyear sticker and I left it on and displayed it as the spare. Later I found out that I received a deduction for the sticker as a Daytona assembly line tire wouldn't have one@#$%^&*())!
MJ

held1823

allow me to use john's post as an excuse to once again swoon over the best color combo daytona on the planet. these should be the photos he is referring to.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 10, 2012, 01:20:49 PM
G70 Yes-yes  Goodyear

I did say yes twice..... ;)

Qualifications?

Rape, murder, arson and rape.

You said "rape" twice.

I like rape.

Side note:  RIP Alex Karras...

69hemidaytona

I found six Goodyear Polyglas Custom Wide Tread F70x15 tires. Five of them are date coded for March, April, or May of 1969. One is NOS, two are almost NOS as they still have the nipples on the tread, two have 95% tread, and one has about 70% tread. There are some interesting differences in two of them though. One has a completly different tread pattern than the other five do. Also the NOS one which is dated early 1969 has a slightly narrower white stripe. Five of the tires have a .300 inch wide stripe while the NOS tire has a .280 inch wide stripe. I know it doesn't sound like much but I can visibly see the difference in them. Does anybody have any idea as to which tread pattern is correct for a 69 Hemi B body, and why there is the difference in stripe width?

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on November 07, 2012, 01:30:00 AM
Details details....   It's either correct, or it's not.    And you get to decide it it's worth the time and effort.      
I found six Goodyear Polyglas Custom Wide Tread F70x15 tires. Five of them are date coded for March, April, or May of 1969. One is NOS, two are almost NOS as they still have the nipples on the tread, two have 95% tread, and one has about 70% tread. There are some interesting differences in two of them though. One has a completly different tread pattern than the other five do. Also the NOS one which is dated early 1969 has a slightly narrower white stripe. Five of the tires have a .300 inch wide stripe while the NOS tire has a .280 inch wide stripe. I know it doesn't sound like much but I can visibly see the difference in them. Does anybody have any idea as to which tread pattern is correct for a 69 Hemi B body, and why there is the difference in stripe width?

69hemidaytona

more pics

69hemidaytona

more pics again

69hemidaytona

last pic