News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got T-Boned today

Started by Paul G, October 09, 2012, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

No, not in my Charger or my SRT10 pickup thank God.

5:30 this morning on my way to work. I stop at this intersection, 4 way stop, cross traffic goes, my turn to go, just as I am crossing the intersection out of now where "BAM CRASH" the loudest noise, I am hit in my passenger door. I can see the grille of the vehicle that hit me through the passenger door window. My truck tilts up on the two drivers side wheels. I am slammed against the seat belt. Thinking that the truck is going to roll I am holding tight to the wheel trying to push myself away from the drivers door, afraid the window is going to explode when it hits the pavement. I come back down on all four wheels and the truck stops. The engine died, I put the truck in park and get out. I can walk, my arms work, no cuts I can feel, I am just sore on my right side. I look back at the vehicle that hit me, it was an older Jeep Cherokee. It was facing the direction it came from still in the intersection, my truck is just past the intersection, he was blocking traffic. I go over to the Jeep and the driver is just mumbling and twitching. I try to talk to him and he doesn't acknowledge me or even speak. Just mumbling and twitching. Something is wrong with this guy. I call 911 and start giving them info.

Of all the traffic passing through only one guy stopped to help. Only one. He kept talking to the guy that hit me. Trying to keep him calm. Eventually the driver started to ask what happened, did he get hit? He tried to start his Jeep, which it would not start, then he wanted to get out. I am glad that guy stopped to help and was there. Finally the cops and paramedics show up. The driver was put on a back board and taken away in the ambulance. Luckily I am just bruised.

I think he was having a seizure of some kind. Probably still on the gas when he hit me. I never saw him coming. My wife says I left early today. I wonder why? Look at the pics of the vehicles. They both crumpled exactly as designed. Neither of us have serious bodily injury. Both vehicles are totalled. If he had not hit me and continued through that intersection there were many obstacles he could have hit, utility poles, trees, and on coming vehicles he would have hit at an even higher rate of speed. Mostly small commuter cars with people on there way to work. I wonder why I left early today?

The vehicle that hit me.

My vehicle. The cab floor buckled, the dash is bent, the seats are bent and the right frame rail rolled a little.

Leaf spring clamps were spread apart on both springs

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

rebby

Holy crap! That was quite the impact. Glad that you're alright... Wow.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Ghoste

Glad to hear everyone is uninjured, thank God he didn't hit the driver side

Fred

How lucky it was the passenger side and you were on your own. Glad to hear you weren't hurt. Sorry about the truck.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Paul G

Thanks guys. You know, I feel like I had to shoot my horse today. That was a good truck. There is something to say about big heavy vehicles. My utility box is loaded heavy with electrical items, spare parts and test equipment. My truck didnt spin around, it barely moved out of the traffic lane. I wonder how the other driver is doing?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

69rtse4spd

Glad to hear you are OK. Sometimes you just wounder about why things work out the way they do. What year Chevy truck is that, since I work here at the Ft. Wayne plant. Wounder if the utility bed with all the extra weight kept you from rolling over. Something to be said for the full size vehicles.

Chryco Psycho

I am glad you are Ok , you just never know what is coming  :2thumbs:

Paul G

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on October 09, 2012, 07:35:08 PM
Glad to hear you are OK. Sometimes you just wounder about why things work out the way they do. What year Chevy truck is that, since I work here at the Ft. Wayne plant. Wounder if the utility bed with all the extra weight kept you from rolling over. Something to be said for the full size vehicles.

It was an 06.

JB400

You took quite a hit.  At least you can count your blessings.  Things happen.  Makes us appreciate life just that much more.  Glad your ok, and glad you wasn't in the Charger. :2thumbs:

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BigBlackDodge

1970Moparmann

Hell of a hit.  Glad it wasn't worse.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Brightyellow69rtse

wow glad your ok! im thinking your gonna get alot more sore in the coming days though.

Paul G

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on October 09, 2012, 09:15:17 PM
wow glad your ok! im thinking your gonna get alot more sore in the coming days though.

Thats what people keep telling me.

skip68

Dang Paul, pretty good hit there.   I'm sure you'll be more sore tomorrow.   I'm betting you'll have some nasty seat belt bruising.   Have a beverage and RELAX.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

TexasStroker

Man, glad you made it out alright Paul.  Looks like the boxes might have taken some of the impact too...He clearly didn't take off from the stop sign and have that much speed.  Had it been a car he hit it could have been really bad.  Especially if it was a kid getting taken to school etc.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

flyinlow

Glad you are not seriously hurt. Good thing the hit was on the pass. side so you had some crush area.  Advil and Crown Royal will help with any pain.

hatersaurusrex

...my wife wonders why I give a cursory check in both directions even if I have a green light or the side roads both have to stop... you never know.

Glad you weren't hurt any worse than some soreness.   Poor Chebby took the worst of it :(
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

oldcarnut

Good to hear your ok.  Amazing how people will cause another accident rubber necking at yours but won't stop to see if they can help.  I've had friends that if someone had at least stopped that saw the accident and left a name,  they wouldn't have had to pay when the other guy was at fault but lied because there were no witnesses to back anyone up and made it look like my friend caused it.  Hope it all works out for you.

Cooter

I can't help but think the driver in the Jeep prolly had this condition that causes this for a long time and it just caught up to him. Some people shouldn't be on the road at all if there's even the possibility of this happening. Same thing happened here about three weeks ago. An elderly woman came across the median and struck another car head on. Everybody figured she had a stroke, you know, something unforseen. But, no. She had a history of siezures. This time it cost someone their life. All because she knew she could sieze at anytime.

Glad to see your ok.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Yep, found out after the fact that my father in law had been driving with a condition that absolutely meant he should NOT have been driving.  It's wierd but shortly after i found out his car always had a flat battery (and yes, that was sufficient to ensure his staying off the road).

71ChallengeHer

Glad to hear you ok. Sorry about your truck.  :pity:

Dino

Glad you're okay Paul but you did see a doctor right?  If not, do so now.  Doesn't matter if you walked away, you still need a doc to check you over and record everything.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

4cruzin

WOw that hit pretty hard!   Glad all survived!   :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Paul G

Quote from: Dino on October 10, 2012, 11:27:08 AM
Glad you're okay Paul but you did see a doctor right? 

Yes I did see a Doc just in case my back (sciatica issues) or something else shows up a day or two later. Doc took some xrays and says just bruised.

And btw, I am more sore today.

Talked to our fleet manager today. He says I am probably going to get a Ford 1 ton cab chassis this time. They will install a utility box and lift gate on it. I asked for cruise control on this one. Hopefully a CD or MP3 player is part of the package. 

Chryco Psycho

I hope the new furd will be better than the one I drove last year , it was a total lemon , I told the lease people to send it back & let them try building it again !!
Glad you are Ok , it is typical to feel worse the day after which is why you always exchange info & do not leave an accident saying you are fine !!

tan top

:o  wow glad you ok !! , some hit by the looks of it  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html