News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UK inventor tests the first air car

Started by Fred, October 07, 2012, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Monday, October 08, 2012 ยป 07:55am

Cars, homes and factories could be powered using the air we breathe in the future, according to engineers at a special summit.

British scientists developing the technology say normal air can be used to store energy by cooling it to -190C, turning it into a liquid.

When the liquid air is later warmed, it rapidly expands into a gas, creating high pressure that can drive the piston engine of a car, or generate electricity in a turbine.

Dr Tim Fox, of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, which has organised the summit of experts, said: 'We're coming out of the cave blinking on this one and we're only just getting an inkling of how great the energy storage benefits of liquid air could be.'

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

aussiemuscle

it's not the first 'air powered car' by a long shot. first time i've heard of using super-chilled liquid air, but that uses more energy to create and ship than Gasoline.

A383Wing

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 07, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
Did Chuck or Fred supply the air?

Could have been Jim as well....I think there is enough "hot air" on this forum to power the entire world

Bryan

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 07, 2012, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 07, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
Did Chuck or Fred supply the air?

Could have been Jim as well....I think there is enough "hot air" on this forum to power the entire world

Bryan

All the air's gone out of Jim, he's on his honeymoon.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

daveco

Seems like it would take a fair bit of energy to liquefy ambient air.
R/Tree

twodko

Yes indeed. Super cold technology will open many new doors in the future. While it isn't cost effective to super compress ambient air et al yet, when they figure a method of doing so cheaply i.e. Pumping it into deep ocean  trenches and then cannisterizing it we'll be on the the way to some amazing things.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

twodko

The Brits and Japanese have also won the Noble prize this year in medical research for finally unlocking the secrets of individual cells! This discovery offers fantastic opportunities to find cures to our most devastating diseases.

FYI.....there will be a pop quiz today......be forewarned!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

69rtse4spd

I hated pop quiz's in school, hate em now, do I need to study. :brickwall:.

A383Wing

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on October 08, 2012, 08:30:26 PM
I hated pop quiz's in school, hate em now, do I need to study. :brickwall:.

nope..yer gonna fail anyway...why waste yer time studying..go drink some beer and be happy

Bryan