News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mounting bolt bushings for an Inland shifter - I seem to have a good fix

Started by bull, September 24, 2012, 10:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Any idea where a guy might find these double flange plastic bushings? They go around the three bolts that mount the arm to the shifter assembly. I've got most of one and about 1/8 of another. I tried Brewer's website already.

bull

Actually, now that I look at it these things are made of rubber. They're so stiff and old I thought they were plastic.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 25, 2012, 04:11:38 PM

Just replace them with metal bushings.

I was thinking about using brass but then got to wondering why they used rubber. Any idea? Was it some sort of vibration dampening thing?

Rolling_Thunder

it was used to absorb vibration but that also adds to a loose feeling of the shifter when ti wears
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bull

It'll be a pain in the butt I'm sure but I'm going to try using brass. Going to have to be a custom built thing since it was originally a double flange grommet. A single flange bushing on one side with a washer on the other should work.

John_Kunkel

You don't need fancy flanged bushings to replace the rubber grommets, just a straight bushing that is the ID of the stud and the OD of the hole in the handle and a washer on top that will cover the hole.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 27, 2012, 03:14:22 PM

You don't need fancy flanged bushings to replace the rubber grommets, just a straight bushing that is the ID of the stud and the OD of the hole in the handle and a washer on top that will cover the hole.

I'm leaning that direction. At the hardware store today I picked up some nylon bushings that can be manipulated to fit. It's difficult to find (impossible maybe?) to find 7/16" ID almost anything out there anymore. What I found is 3/8" ID and around 3/4" OD so I've got some room to work. There's a recessed area in the base of the handle so I'll have to probably carve those down to fit too.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

After an hour or so of measuring the Inland shifter base and mounting and drawing up a sketch of the part I wanted to try last week I gave it and a 6" brass bar to a friend of mine who made up these bushings for me. Nothing but the bushings was what I would call 'precise' so I had to hone some burs off the mounting holes in the arm and straighten the bolts to get the bushings to fit inside the recess but it looks like they'll work.

It's great having good friends so willing to help. :2thumbs:

69rtse4spd

Looks good, no to rain on your day but should have used Amco Bronze, will last much longer then brass. If you ever want to try some just send me your print.

bull

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on October 08, 2012, 09:16:15 PM
Looks good, no to rain on your day but should have used Amco Bronze, will last much longer then brass. If you ever want to try some just send me your print.

Will do. How much more does bronze cost?

John_Kunkel

For the intended purpose I don't think the material matters all that much...it ain't gonna move so it won't wear.

bull

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 09, 2012, 03:52:33 PM

For the intended purpose I don't think the material matters all that much...it ain't gonna move so it won't wear.

Overdone, just like German engineering. :2thumbs: