News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header leak help

Started by billschroeder5842, October 05, 2012, 04:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Any ideas on how to diagnose a leaky exhaust coming off a header on the passenger side?

The noise has been slowly getting louder but today it reached the point---got do something.

I put my ear to it and it seems to be coming from the center section but I cant say for sure. It is pretty quiet at idle and at speed but makes that loud *clap clap* upon acceleration.

The system is about 5 years old and they are Headman headers.

Any suggestions on figuring out if it needs tightening, a new gasket or if one of the seams needs a weld?

Thanks!

Texas Proud!

Mopar Nut

I found my header leak at night where I could see the flame, but that was 35 yrs ago.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

c00nhunterjoe

Bad leaks lead to soot deposits. Odds are the gasket is leaking. Spend the extra few dollars and buy the nice gaskets that are "re-usable"

justcruisin

Percy's 66036 :2thumbs: Presuming big block.

firefighter3931

Here's a good read Bill, along with some pics and part numbers you might need  ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,93609.25.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

billschroeder5842

*UPDATE*
I shot up the nuts wit WD40 and let it sit over night--I got up early and they all spun off with not too much fuss. I "pulled the header" away from the engine to make sure it is loose...no problem.

Here is the question; when I pull the header away (remember its the passenger side) to get the old gasket out and put the new one in, I can get the front and most of the middle bolts away from the header however the rear is still pretty covered up-it pulls at an angle.

Any idea on how I can "pull" the header away from the engine so I can swap gaskets? I thought of putting a rope around the collector under the car and pulling on it or I could disconnect the end of the header collector from the pipes. I'm sure that would give me enough room but I'm not into extra work and I worry about leaks.

Any ideas?
Texas Proud!

billschroeder5842

*SUCESS* (well it seems that way for the moment)

I opted to loosen the header collective at the pipe as it gave me some extra flexibility.The gasket went on pretty easy (I did have to fight with a stuck old one) and everything went together well.

I started it up and everything was pretty quiet and sounded much much better.

So, $11 for a gasket, $8 for grade 8 nuts and 4 Coors lights (okay I was in and out on the LSU football game) and about 90 minutes. But part of the time was general goofing around.

I feel lucky that it was only a gasket-I did not even remove the sparks plugs!).
Texas Proud!

Dino

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 06, 2012, 09:51:03 AM
Here's a good read Bill, along with some pics and part numbers you might need  ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,93609.25.html

Ron

Aarghh look at that poor guy wrestling with that header in that ugly white c.. hey wait a minute...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Gotta love siamese ports on the headers....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"