News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Random post about a gas cap that won't fly off my car.

Started by 440, October 05, 2012, 12:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today I forgot the gas cap and left it on the trunk lid of my Fairlane while I drove home from the gas station. I remember thinking I should check it as I drove away from the pump but didn't bother. I have forgotten it before and driven reasonably short distances at low speeds and it has surprisingly always been there.

Well, today I had the old car cranked up to over 60 mph and when I got home there was the little ol cap, sitting on the trunk lid. Granted the paintwork on my car is toast but f^ck me, how the hell does it stay attached in the middle of the trunk lid and not fly off. It's only lightweight plastic. Must be some freak of eddies that keep it in place.

Fred

There's just no explaining some things.
Count your lucky stars. Unless you're lucky enough to come across one at the wreckers, I think you'd have a bit of a job getting hold of a replacement cap.
Oh and don't waste your money on a lotto ticket, I think you've used your luck up for this week.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

It's one of those universal plastic LPG caps so a replacement would be easy to obtain. They come with a strap so you can't loose them. I cut it off because it looked ugly.

This cap must really like me  :lol:

Fred

Sounds to me like even though you cut it loose......it's still very much attached to you. (or at least the trunk lid) :lol:

I thought you were referring to a petrol cap.

bill440rt

Maybe there's gummed up, sticky gas crud on the bottom of it which helps it adhere to smooth surfaces?  :scratchchin:  :shruggy:

Either that, or it just loves you.  :drool5:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

The paint is anything but smooth and the cap is clean. Regardless, for the cap to stay there at 60+ mph is quite amazing I think.

A mans best friend maybe?  or at least mine  :smilielol:

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

paironines

When I was a kid my Aunt left a pair of needle nose pliers on the rear bumper of her car and I found them there after a trip on the interstate and thru downtown Cincinatti.

Dodgecharger74

74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

Fred

Quote from: 440 on October 05, 2012, 08:22:35 AM
The paint is anything but smooth and the cap is clean. Regardless, for the cap to stay there at 60+ mph is quite amazing I think.

A mans best friend maybe?  or at least mine  :smilielol:

Well if I were you I'd keep it on a shorter leash from now on just in case!  :smilielol:

kab69440

I made a trip to Columbus with a half-full milkshake sitting on the bumper of my Power Wagon. Surprisingly enough, it was no longer frozen when I got to Toys R Us.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

A383Wing

my brother-in-law left a Styrofoam cup of coffee on the rear bumper of my 94 Dakota and it stayed there the whole 25 mile trip from his house to mine..freeway driving included

Bryan

aussiemuscle

i left the petrol cap of my dad's toyota on the roof after filling up. luckily it got wedged into the roof rack, so i didn't loose it.

Bob T

Saw the guy behind my work van line up my cap that had been formerly left on the roof and then watched it explode into a cluster bomb as it went under his front tyre. He was grinning, cant blame him for it, I probably would've too back then  :hah:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

rt green

third string oil changer

Well, here is the cap and the position it was at while on the wild ride. I still can't believe it didn't get blown off.

Fred