News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a 68 today

Started by keepat, October 03, 2012, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

:iagree: all the above. Car looks great as it sits.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

keepat

It is a two owner car that never left VA. The guy I bought it from has owned it since 1995. It started life, light green with black top, green interior, 318, and auto. The 2nd owner painted it black and put a 383 in it. All original metal with minimal rust as the car was garaged keep from day one. It will need a trunk and some lower quarter work, but as with most cars there is always something hidden that I'm sure I'll find.
The plan is to start tearing it down next summer after we finish my son's 68 Mustang Bullitt. Below is a link to my son's Bullitt build. We will build a modern Bullitt Charger that will look original but all Hi-tech underneath. This Charger will out run and handle most Mustangs!

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184589       
Thanks!
Pat 

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: keepat on October 04, 2012, 03:46:40 PM
The plan is to start tearing it down next summer after we finish my son's 68 Mustang Bullitt. Below is a link to my son's Bullitt build. We will build a modern Bullitt Charger that will look original but all Hi-tech underneath. This Charger will out run and handle most Mustangs!

Awesome!!!!! Any ideas yet on what suspension, motor, and wheels you are going to do?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

68 Bullitt Charger

Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

greenpigs

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 04, 2012, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: greenpigs on October 04, 2012, 03:14:33 AM
If only mine looked that nice!

I would save your money and switch out that green interior or dye it and just enjoy it as is.

Whats wrong if he sells the car due to the green?

What are you talking about? :shruggy:

He just bought the Charger and is going to rebuild it in the near future.

My original post was just saying it is real nice but the green interior just doesn't go well with the black repaint.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Bob T

Well done, a real nice looking car.
Get out and get some fun miles in.
I like the idea of the Father/Son Bullitt gig  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

hatersaurusrex

That's one sexy beast!!! Every time I see a black/black '68 I rethink my choice of B5 on mine....
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Bob T

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 05, 2012, 08:59:16 PM
That's one sexy beast!!! Every time I see a black/black '68 I rethink my choice of B5 on mine....

If you've got the choice before topcoat, then hit the B5, less of them around  :2thumbs:
( Says the guy with the black car - originally factory QQ1   :D
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Dans 68

QQ1 over a B5, especially for a '68. Hands down....   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68RT440

I remember seeing that car in the corral at Carlisle this year. I took a ton of pics of it because my car is an original black car green top/green interior car, and this is the first car other than mine that I saw that was close to that combo...oh and I layed under that car to get sheet metal measurements to use on my restoration.. :2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 04, 2012, 12:59:25 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 03, 2012, 11:15:57 PM
Pat, nice car.  Definitely need some details.  What's the plan with it?

sell it? Seems now everytime I see a 'semi new member' come on here saying they scored something nice they always then put it on ebay or sell it......

"semi new member"  ??       He's been on here for over 6 years.......... :2thumbs:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 68RT440 on October 06, 2012, 11:26:46 AM
I remember seeing that car in the corral at Carlisle this year. I took a ton of pics of it because my car is an original black car green top/green interior car, and this is the first car other than mine that I saw that was close to that combo...oh and I layed under that car to get sheet metal measurements to use on my restoration.. :2thumbs:

Are you sure that's the same car?  We were sitting next to that car for quite some time on Friday. Or was it Saturday? Anyhow.  :scratchchin:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1974dodgecharger

New enough...to post a few...Theres members here who been forever and come post a pic of their and ask, "What you guys think about my charger'

then you see their add on ebay a week later  ::)

So time on a board equals=nothing

Sometimes a good seller knows his people and well alot of 1st to through 3rd gen chargers people are here and he knows if he can and will try anyting to get a sale.  ::)

Usually when you ask a poster how much he paid he will kindly oblige, but the person who likes to keep it secret usually does to sell later (to make profit of course)

Not accusing this poster at all....just asking.  :cheers:
Quote from: HeavyFuel on October 06, 2012, 02:52:09 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 04, 2012, 12:59:25 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 03, 2012, 11:15:57 PM
Pat, nice car.  Definitely need some details.  What's the plan with it?

sell it? Seems now everytime I see a 'semi new member' come on here saying they scored something nice they always then put it on ebay or sell it......

"semi new member"  ??       He's been on here for over 6 years.......... :2thumbs:

kingjoop

1968 Dodge Charger R/T (8barrel 500Ci)
Only milk comes in 2 liters

My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber.

Hot Chicks and much more Horsepower: www.performancegirls.com

keepat

Took a few more pictures of the charger today and went trough all the paper work that came with the car. The original owner, who owned the car until 1994 save all the invoice and VA inspection receipts, which came with the car. Most of the invoice noted the owners name, home phone #, address, date and miles. So I tried calling the home #, left a massage and an hour later he called back and we had a great conversation about the cars history.

He bought the car in March of 1968 just after getting out of the Air force. In 1967 he saw a add for the new Charger in a magazine and he knew he had to get one when he got out. A few month after buying the car he got a job with NASA in Norfolk and worked there for the next 44 years and he used the charger as a daily driver into the 90s. In that time he put about 6500 mile a year on the car

The car was never in an accident and always garaged. In October of 1994 he sold the car with 150,298 miles on it to the guy I bought it from. I asked if he had any old pictures of the car back in the day and he said yes there are some slides of the car when it was new. When he sends them I'll post the pictures, until then here are today's pictures.
Thanks!
Pat

69rtse4spd

Very nice, would have fun just driving it the way it is. :2thumbs:.

P.S. I have no trouble telling what I paid for my Chargers, cause I don't plan on selling any. But when I bought them prices were low. And besides, if I do sell one & somebody wants to lowball me, just tell them no.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1974dodgecharger

thats a beuty for sure....damn looks good....looks so much better than the 'stang' or I mean bullit or steve...errrr never mind
Quote from: keepat on October 06, 2012, 07:03:14 PM
Took a few more pictures of the charger today and went trough all the paper work that came with the car. The original owner, who owned the car until 1994 save all the invoice and VA inspection receipts, which came with the car. Most of the invoice noted the owners name, home phone #, address, date and miles. So I tried calling the home #, left a massage and an hour later he called back and we had a great conversation about the cars history.

He bought the car in March of 1968 just after getting out of the Air force. In 1967 he saw a add for the new Charger in a magazine and he knew he had to get one when he got out. A few month after buying the car he got a job with NASA in Norfolk and worked there for the next 44 years and he used the charger as a daily driver into the 90s. In that time he put about 6500 mile a year on the car

The car was never in an accident and always garaged. In October of 1994 he sold the car with 150,298 miles on it to the guy I bought it from. I asked if he had any old pictures of the car back in the day and he said yes there are some slides of the car when it was new. When he sends them I'll post the pictures, until then here are today's pictures.
Thanks!
Pat

GOTWING

Fred

I'm going to say it again.............it really does look best in black!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Fred on October 08, 2012, 09:43:46 PM
I'm going to say it again.............it really does look best in black!

I agree, Love black Chargers. Looks great as it is. I wouldn't touch a thing.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

68RT440

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 06, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

Are you sure that's the same car?  We were sitting next to that car for quite some time on Friday. Or was it Saturday? Anyhow.  :scratchchin:

It was Saturday that I saw it. I have a ton of pics and the guy that was selling it was under a little canopy a few feet away and I asked him if we could take measurements. He said no problem as it was an original shet metal car...he also said it was an original green car, so if this car was originally green, then its gotta be the same one...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 05, 2012, 11:09:54 PM
QQ1 over a B5, especially for a '68. Hands down....   ;)

Dan

I haven't started paint yet... and as many good things as I hear about QQ1, I haven't seen one in person.   I've seen B5 cars of all ilk (even new Challies) and love it.    Just hearing that QQ1 is a better color isn't enough to convince me, I'd have to see it on a car first.   Internet pictures can't be trusted, obviously.   Anyone in Jacksonville or Nashville area willing to let me take a peek at theirs for proof-of-concept? :) :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

keepat

Quote from: 68RT440 on October 09, 2012, 04:30:34 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 06, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

Are you sure that's the same car?  We were sitting next to that car for quite some time on Friday. Or was it Saturday? Anyhow.  :scratchchin:

It was Saturday that I saw it. I have a ton of pics and the guy that was selling it was under a little canopy a few feet away and I asked him if we could take measurements. He said no problem as it was an original shet metal car...he also said it was an original green car, so if this car was originally green, then its gotta be the same one...

Yes this car was at Carlisle for sale but he was a little high on his price. I followed up a few months later and he was ready to sell and I was ready to buy.
Thanks!
Pat