News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I don`t remember a 68 Charger in Vanishing Point?

Started by kikgas01, October 03, 2012, 02:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudacharger

Bob T's 1968 charger r/t was the restoration platform for the remake motion picture Vanishing Point Charger r/t.

The story goes like this I came across a gentleman I met back 2005 in Las Vegas that owns the 68 Charger that was in the remake movie Vanishing Point 1997....T.V. budget production movie that was made for HBO and then released on DVD.  The 1968 black charger that looks real similar to Bob T's....I had your charger in a parking lot in 2005 at a health club and this guy comes up to me and says I own a 68 charger that looks very close to yours and I'm in the process of a restoration.  He does a full walk around and asks to take photos of the car....said his name was Charles and was the director of a film called Vanishing Point. 

In any event I'm in Vegas for awhile doing some work and I see the car is for sale just across from the airport this was around October 2012 I think.  All the memories of my old charger came back to fold.... when the writer/director/owner was having the car restored after the film was made he had pictures of your car for reference...he said he wanted the car to look like yours exactly (so your car was the platform for the restoration).  Charles decided to go with torque thrust wheels instead of the magnums and mentioned he wished it was a real R/T.  I'm unsure of the whereabouts of the car today.

End of story.... :2thumbs:

Bob T

Cool story, a bit more history on the old car ,  Thanks for putting that up  :cheers:
Hmm, might have to look for a set of Torque Thrusts some time, quite neat wheels
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 04, 2013, 02:24:34 AM
Just a heads up.  HBO is showing the remake of Vanishing Point this month.

I prefer the original, but the remake isn't bad either.  At least there's a nice chase scene between a Charger and a Challenger :popcrn:

I prefer the original too but love the chase scene in the remake.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

remta1

both have mopars screaming their asses off whats not to like  :yesnod:

Lord Warlock

strangely, i just saw this on cable Wednesday, came in at the desert scene, changed channels when they flipped the charger.  Was nice seeing a charger but not what they did to it, They never came close to where a Hemi would have more power than the 440 did.  Interesting watching a younger Agent "K".  Guess he learned to drive better before they invented the "red button". 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Bob T

Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 07, 2013, 12:33:08 AM
strangely, i just saw this on cable Wednesday, came in at the desert scene, changed channels when they flipped the charger.  Was nice seeing a charger but not what they did to it, They never came close to where a Hemi would have more power than the 440 did.  Interesting watching a younger Agent "K".  Guess he learned to drive better before they invented the "red button". 

Although it does look a lot like Agent K Tommy Lee Jones, it is not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point_(1997_film)

I had to watch it again last night  :icon_smile_big: , nice skid  :2thumbs:
Tonight I'm watching Duel
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Lord Warlock

i'd have to watch again, thought it was him, but it was a few days ago, and my memory isn't that good
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on December 07, 2013, 02:42:24 AM
Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 07, 2013, 12:33:08 AM

Although it does look a lot like Agent K Tommy Lee Jones, it is not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point_(1997_film)

I had to watch it again last night  :icon_smile_big: , nice skid  :2thumbs:
Tonight I'm watching Duel

The Mrs. loves Duel.......personally I find it boring, it puts me to sleep.

Bob T

Fred, I haven't seen it for so long, I'd forgotten how it went , bit slow but not bad
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2012, 02:08:51 PM

It's from the 1997 TV remake of "Vanishing Point".  

That's been re-titled as the "who cares" version.  :lol:

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on December 08, 2013, 04:48:13 AM
Fred, I haven't seen it for so long, I'd forgotten how it went , bit slow but not bad

It's a great sleeping pill.  :yesnod:   If the mrs. wants to watch it she has to do it after I've gone to bed.

Lord Warlock

It was on HBO tonight, so evidently its on all this month on HBO if you have it. 

Fred

We have it on DVD.  :yesnod:   Along with almost every other car movie ever made.

Ghoste

Fred

It's a decease alright.........this becomes evident when you check out some of the titles. There's an unbelievable lot of crap mixed in with the good stuff.  :slap:

Ghoste

Aint that the truth.   I'm betting we have a lot of the same titles.  :lol:

Lord Warlock

At least they actually show the hemi in this one,  I don't remember seeing the hemi motor in the original. 

Ghoste

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on December 09, 2013, 09:31:39 PM
Aint that the truth.   I'm betting we have a lot of the same titles.  :lol:

I bet we have. After all, they all come from over there don't they.   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Not all of them but for sure most.  I have the obligatory Mad Max and some other Aussie film about a kid in a stolen Porsche.

Fred

I can't place it but then again if it only has a Porsche in it, it's no wonder. I'm particularly fond of American muscle.  :icon_smile_big:
Have you heard of "Running on Empty"? An Aussie movie well worth a watch.

Ghoste

I might have that Running on Empty one too.  I'll have to look now.  :lol:

Fred

I think the dumbest one in my collection (and as I've already said, there a quite a few) is "Speed Demon"

Ghoste

Bad Georgia Road for me but at least there is a 70 Charger in it.

Fred

Actually I tried long and hard to get that movie when I first heard about it but to no avail. Just as well by the sound of it.