News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a vaca, Mexican style.

Started by Patronus, October 02, 2012, 08:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

Thought I would ask if anyone had thoughts for a Mexican vacation. I've never been and could use some advise. Just me and the girlfriend. Thinking two weeks on the gulf side of things. Prob need a rental car..? Any insights..advise?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Indygenerallee

Don't drink the water!!  :lol: Seriously don't know and Mexico is the last place I personally would want to take a vacation with all the drug lords.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Chryco Psycho

Come to Panama , far safer & nicer , we can show you around , just might not want to leave like us !!

skip68

Mexico is not a safe place to go to.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Patronus

Thanks you guys! Yeah, I hear ya on the security aspect. Looking for a warm spot for the first of the year. I've been to Panama (thank you JOTC) Don't want to have to travel to far. Was just wondering if anyone had an idea..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

twodko

Think Costa Rica, Beliz, Virgin Islands......

Mexico is Mexico.......Mexico is don't go.   :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 02, 2012, 08:35:35 PM
Don't drink the water!!  :lol: Seriously don't know and Mexico is the last place I personally would want to take a vacation with all the drug lords.

:iagree:  Better to be safe than sorry.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

68X426

Mexico? - stay domestic and visit Los Angeles or El Paso. All the romance and lots less crime.

I seem to know lots of folks who travel, and they all love Costa Rica and Panama. They only like Mexico if they are behind a tall wall with security in an all-inclusive resort. It's a shame it has come to that, but you can't see a country if you have to live in fear. The Mexico of the 50s to the 90s is gone away.  :Twocents:

Contact a travel agent or two, they typically work eagerly to earn their commission and can give you lots of real advice.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JB400

I agree with everyone else, Mexico is messed up right now.  It'd kinda be like going on vacation in Afghanistan.  Go to Iran for free room and board. :icon_smile_big: It'd give our American celebrity something else to ignore.
In all seriousness, if you really want to go to Mexico, I'd go to the big resort towns like Cabo.  They have the security to deal with the druggies.  Besides, they pretty much stick around the borders I think.  Check the Mexican papers to find out what's been going on there.  Wherever you go, have fun.  :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 12:32:33 AM
I agree with everyone else, Mexico is messed up right now.  It'd kinda be like going on vacation in Afghanistan.  Go to Iran for free room and board. :icon_smile_big: It'd give our American celebrity something else to ignore.
In all seriousness, if you really want to go to Mexico, I'd go to the big resort towns like Cabo.  They have the security to deal with the druggies.  Besides, they pretty much stick around the borders I think.  Check the Mexican papers to find out what's been going on there.  Wherever you go, have fun.  :2thumbs:

Don't need to get the paper's. It's on the news every other day.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 12:36:52 AM

Not in misery, excuse me, Missouri

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 12:37:45 AM

Well............I don't know what to say!

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 12:39:49 AM
I agree with everyone else, Mexico is messed up right now.  It'd kinda be like going on vacation in Afghanistan.  Go to Iran for free room and board. :icon_smile_big: It'd give our American celebrity something else to ignore.
In all seriousness, if you really want to go to Mexico, I'd go to the big resort towns like Cabo.  They have the security to deal with the druggies.  Besides, they pretty much stick around the borders I think.  Check the Mexican papers to find out what's been going on there.  Wherever you go, have fun.  :2thumbs:

About time!!!! :nana: :nana: :nana:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 12:41:26 AM
I agree with everyone else, Mexico is messed up right now.  It'd kinda be like going on vacation in Afghanistan.  Go to Iran for free room and board. :icon_smile_big: It'd give our American celebrity something else to ignore.
In all seriousness, if you really want to go to Mexico, I'd go to the big resort towns like Cabo.  They have the security to deal with the druggies.  Besides, they pretty much stick around the borders I think.  Check the Mexican papers to find out what's been going on there.  Wherever you go, have fun.  :2thumbs:

I figure sooner or later you'd say it for me.  :icon_smile_wink:

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 12:43:23 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 12:41:26 AM

I figure sooner or later you'd say it for me.  :icon_smile_wink:
We'll just have to wait and see.

chargermike

mexico is safe and these people are paranoid. been there many times and the beeches are fantantic. cozamel. or playa da carmen. but go to the gulf side. the people are very nice and your not going to get killed or kidnapped. i have been all over the gulf coast of mexico. and have never had a problem. the people and the food have always been the best. most of the people on here are afraid to leave there own house. stay away from boarder towns and why would you go to a boarder town. they have no beeches. go to mexico and have fun. you wont be sorry.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  but drink only bottled water and stay in the tourist area. dont be stupid and wander around back streets. and if you smoke weed.....bring your own cause mexican weed sucks.

chargermike

bill just noticed this is you. go to mexico you will have a great time. call me and i can tell you where to go. dude mexico kicks ass and is very safe. the water is the bluest blue you will ever see. go to cozamel. it's an island and very beautiful. and the people are the best..

Nacho-RT74

the deal with water is not because anykind of contamination, is because from country to country the PH, minerals and purification treatments on water are diff and if your body is used by years to drink some specific water, and suddenly changes, will feel that. That's all.

I work on show bussines, and I have seen stupid international artis  being critic EVEN WITH BOTTLED water and requestion only EVIAN water... so stupids... we have MINALBA brand, local brand which is rated one of the best of the world, better or equal to  EVIAN

Now about safety and everything. There are some countries more dangerous than others ( Venezuela at this time is not safe, no matter where you want to go, or where are you from, even local, is a shame ), is true, but as far you are on the news and keep informed you should not to be worried about. The danger in Mexico is mostly drug mafias related and not common criminality ( not saying Mexico doesn't have that, but just like any country in the world ) Venezuela for example is simply basic violence anywhere, not necesarily drug mafias related, just to steal what you have. And you can get killed for it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

4cruzin

I am currently planning a trip to Cozumel and I like Mexico as it is within a few hours from here and I like to dive.  We can be there in about 5 hours as long as the layover is not too long. 

Quote from: chargermike on October 03, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
the water is the bluest blue you will ever see. go to cozumel. it's an island and very beautiful. and the people are the best..

I agree that the water is beautiful but I just got back from Bora Bora and the water there is amazing . . . . . We are planning a trip around Christmas sometime and checking prices this week.    :2thumbs:   This will be my 8th time to Cozumel . . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

nvrbdn

had a couple friends just go to mexico for a vaca, and they go to one of those all inclusive places. all the activities and hotel, pools, restaurants, everything in one location. guess its like vacationing in a compound. but they felt safe.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RIDELIKEHELL

You guys sound like my mother c'mon! Mayan Riviera is their bread and butter so they police it like crazy so that the locals don't f it up. Sure there has been murders at  resorts in Mexico but all of them don't seem to make sense. I have been to Mexico the last 3 years in a row on spring break as the wife teaches and its her only time to get away. We fly in to Cancun and book our own car/driver and we are at our resort in 30 minutes just in time for lunch. The best spot we have been to is Secrets Maroma Beach as the staff cater to you every need and it has top shelf liquor and food. I have been looking at that property again this year but since its finally caught on as to the high standard their prices are higher. Seriously check out its ratings on trip advisor....if you need any info shoot me a pm  :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

JB400

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on October 03, 2012, 12:03:58 PM
You guys sound like my mother c'mon! Mayan Riviera is their bread and butter so they police it like crazy so that the locals don't f it up. Sure there has been murders at  resorts in Mexico but all of them don't seem to make sense. I have been to Mexico the last 3 years in a row on spring break as the wife teaches and its her only time to get away. We fly in to Cancun and book our own car/driver and we are at our resort in 30 minutes just in time for lunch. The best spot we have been to is Secrets Maroma Beach as the staff cater to you every need and it has top shelf liquor and food. I have been looking at that property again this year but since its finally caught on as to the high standard their prices are higher. Seriously check out its ratings on trip advisor....if you need any info shoot me a pm  :2thumbs:
I think he wants to stay away from the shooting. :icon_smile_big:

RIDELIKEHELL

Very Funny  :lol:  Stay away from the Pacific side
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

skip68

You couldn't pay me to go to Mexico.   There's just to many other places to go to that are beautiful and safer.   My brother goes every year because his wife is from Mexico and he even says it's getting bad.   I'm sure there's safe guarded places in Iran to but you won't catch me there either.  Like I said, just to many other places to go with no risk.   A few months ago my brothers wife's family (15) came up from Mexico.  They said the same thing that it's not safe anymore even for them.  They said Americans don't hear most of what goes on.  They say the government is doing nothing it seems like and the police are involved and or paid off.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

JB400

My comment on Iran.  :smilielol: The last Americans that I went over there got arrested for entering the country illegally, supposedly.  I think the way things are between us and them, you'd get arrested as soon as you got off of the plane.

Marck

We've been to Cancùn and Playa Del Carmen twice, and it was hands down some of the best vacations of our lives.. It's been 5 or 6 years since we were there last, so I wouldn't know about safety today, but we didn't have any issues at all..  :2thumbs:

Dans 68

Just stay at the larger resort areas, and you should be fine. I have been going for decades down to Mexico, with not too many problems. I do have lots of stories, though.  :D

My brother went down to Los Cabos a while ago and had a great time. Lots of security and checkpoints around. Hmmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with the G20 meetings....   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Fred

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 03, 2012, 12:02:25 PM
had a couple friends just go to mexico for a vaca, and they go to one of those all inclusive places. all the activities and hotel, pools, restaurants, everything in one location. guess its like vacationing in a compound. but they felt safe.

I don't see the point in that. Might as well vacation in your own backyard.

Fred

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 04:41:38 PM

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea, everything's on hand. Plenty of food and drink in the fridge, comfortable bed, and it's free. 

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 04:47:59 PM
Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 04:41:38 PM

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea, everything's on hand. Plenty of food and drink in the fridge, comfortable bed, and it's free. 
extra benefit, no travel time, no jet lag

skip68

Well then that settles it Fred.....  Stroker & I are going to vacation in your back yard.....   If you know what I mean.....   :smilielol: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :spank: :moon: :boogie: :-* :scared:

Fred

You were supposed to be on that plane 7 days ago.
The beer's getting warm.

nvrbdn

everyone to freds for a free vacation. :boogie: :boogie: there will be music  :rock: :smash: :violin: swimming pool  :flush: cooking classes :stirthepot: bonfires :fireangry: brew :cheers:  trail riding  :mcride: and group time :grouphug: call for reservations  :callme:  its all free :o :rofl:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

skip68

Fred

I'm waiting by the phone.  

And if you all bring your mopars...............we'll have a race to the finish.  :drive:

JB400

Heck with the reservations, just show up!  The more the  merrier. :2thumbs:  Just don't give the monkeys beer.

Fred

No monkies allowed   :rotz: ....................they'll have to stay in the boat.
All apes welcome.   :cheers:   :smilielol:

Patronus

Some good advise, thanks for posting all.  :coolgleamA:  Mike, I will track you down later..
I think Syria has some beautiful scenery this time of year, and perhaps an airline you can smoke in the back still?  ;)
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

68X426

Patronus, send a PM to Charger Steve. ChgrSteve67

He just got back from a long one in Mexico. He'll share first hand info.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow