News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone recommend a car cover for a Daytona?

Started by johnnyseville, October 02, 2012, 07:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Been looking around, besides Year One, found another company that makes them, just wondering what you guys are using.  Any info appreciated.
too many to list!

41husk

I just bought a California car cover for mine.  It cost oabout $300.  I got the storm Weave, not the most expensive but not the bottom tier either.  I was told it is for indoor outdoor use and was waterproof.  I covered the car in Indy and the storms came Friday night.  Saturday when I pulled the cover off the car was soaked.  Even had the usual water in the trunk.  I dried the cover and put it back on Saturday night.  No rain but the dew had seeped through and the car was wet again.  I called Cal covers and was told the stormweave is not completly water proof.  When I told her about the dew, I was told it must be a heavy dew.  This is a far different attitude anf info I got when I called to order.  Oh I almost forgott, the first cover had to be sent back because they sent the wrong cover.  I am in the market for a cover for the Challengers, but it won't be California car covers! :RantExplode:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

johnnyseville

Thanks for the warning, will scratch them off my list.  I basically need to keep dust off while in the garage, but having a good waterproof one would be an added plus just in case.  Will keep looking.  Have a feeling a really  good one is going to be expensive as usual.
too many to list!

limelightsuperbird528

I've had an evolution 4 cover for 20 years. It's a nice thick cover. I don't know if any covers are really waterproof. For rain or dew or dust I use norton brand plastic sheeting on a roll from the automotive paint store. It is 10 feet wide and 100 feet long. Very thin like saran wrap and cheap. Roll it on the car, cut to length with sissors then cover with the car cover, an expensive or cheap one. Even in thunderstorms your car won't get wet.  Plus I use it to cover my other cars and stuff in the shop when I'm painting from overspray.

A383Wing

I have a nice cloth one on mine...wife made it from a couple of covers we had here

Bryan

41husk

You can have the great big California car cover logo and phone # deleted from the front for a $40 fee :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 02, 2012, 06:42:46 PM
Thanks for the warning, will scratch them off my list.  

I think they are the only source left out there for a consumer grade custom fit cover.   If there are others, please list them.  

I understand that 41husk is not happy compared to his expectation of what the cover would do, and I can appreciate that.    Their verbage even on their recommended outdoor covers says "rain resistant", not rain proof.    They claim all their covers have some ability to breathe.     If that is the case, I am not sure how you can be rain proof.    

This summer, I saw a cover that RK Motors used on one of their show cars be literally rain proof.   He said it was about a $1500 cover.     The water beaded and ran off it like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock.  As I recall, the car did need to be wiped down just a little bit. 

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

held1823

doug might have cost me a new keyboard, if i can't get the spewed soda out of this one.

that, good sir, was quite the analogy
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

I love my california car covers  have had one for 17 years the other one for 7  , but i dont use them  outside
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

41husk

I have a problem with the marketing and customer service not the product.  Oh and maybe the price, but then I am cheap :Twocents:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Aero426

Quote from: 41husk on October 03, 2012, 09:24:08 AM
I have a problem with the marketing and customer service not the product.  Oh and maybe the price, but then I am cheap :Twocents:

I hear ya loud and clear. 

FJ5WING

I have an old Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories cover that I bought in the late eighties. Is a great cover for what I had! (unrestored)

Im not so sure I want to use it going on the car when she comes home because the cover isnt flannel lined, Its very heavy weight material but like I said Im not thrilled about throwing that on the Bird without a lining.
wingless now, but still around.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 03, 2012, 09:38:12 AM
..., Its very heavy weight material but like I said Im not thrilled about throwing that on the Bird without a lining.

Sounds like it needs Depends not a car cover..  :smilielol:
Sorry couldn't resist, just kidding  :icon_smile_big:

41husk

You don't put diapers on the entire wing car, just the tires :smilielol:  Sorry Gene :icon_smile_big:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hemigeno

cdr

i think my garage would cover one just fine!   PM me & i'll tell you my address :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

Quote from: 41husk on October 03, 2012, 11:38:15 AM
You don't put diapers on the entire wing car, just the tires :smilielol:  Sorry Gene :icon_smile_big:

actually in Stu's case, the Depends needed to be on the tranny

Bryan

1970Moparmann

Quote from: moparstuart on October 03, 2012, 09:18:35 AM
I love my california car covers  have had one for 17 years the other one for 7  , but i dont use them  outside

I have one California Cover and two BS ones.  The California one is very soft and has been holding up good. :2thumbs:  Only used in a garage.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

4cruzin

I have a couple breathable covers and certainly neither are waterproof.  And of course every time I go to a show over night . . . It would rain and I would get the same results . .  Car is soaked!  Not only that but all the dirt from the years of inside use was also now on the car.  I asked many vendors at the major shows and no one made a waterproof cover.  I was thinking of just having one made . . . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

TheAutoArchaeologist

The problem with an outdoor cover is... it is outdoors.  It will flap in the wind and move around, which causes damage.  Even the softest internal fabric can cause paint burns.

That's why when you take a car or boat on an open trailer, you never put the cover on.

wingcar

I have used California Car covers and have had no issues with service in the past.  I would order from them again.  I actually have a new CCC in the box that I am saving for the day when my clone is finally finished and on the road.  It doesn't have their logo or phone number printed on the cover.....perhaps that shows it age....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

62 Max

Happy with mine,one on the bird is 20 yrs old,the wagon 5 yrs.If you want something "completely" water proof,get a poly tarp!! :no:

Charger_Dart

I recently bought a California Car Cover and found a 10% off discount code because I insure with Hagerty Insurance. From what I can tell if you insure with them you become a member of HVA (Historic Vehicle Assoc.) and they have a link - http://www.historicvehicle.org/Membership-Info/Member-Discounts/California-Car-Cover
Hope its useful!

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

rnjump

I have a few california car covers and always thought they were quality. I own a new Screaming Eagle Harley that came with a black cover. It looked so nice I bought a black cover for my bird. That was a mistake, they collect dust and you are not supposed to machine wash them. If they ever touch the shop floor they really turn to crap. I have bought some new plastic tubs and the covers don't have to be left on the floor. As soon as I take it off it goes in the tub and the lid goes on!

moparstuart

I abuse my california covers pretty badly , they lay on the floor alot and have been machines washed many times .  They still look great