News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley Street Avenger on Factory Intake- Adapter Needed?

Started by MoparMotel, October 01, 2012, 10:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I'm replacing my factory carter AVS with a Holley 770 Street Avenger I ordered last night and while speaking with the Holley Tech he said if my factory mopar intake is spread bore which it is then I would need the Holley 17-2 Adapter.

If I need it I need it but would prefer to save that $55 towards something else if it is not necessary.

Any input?

http://www.holley.com/17-6.asp
1968 Dodge Charger

Chryco Psycho

I have no clue which intake you have But if the AVS bolted on it should not be the spread bore intake , but the bolt holes may not line up for the Holley so you might still need an adapter , transdapt probably has one for under $20 through Summit

bull

MoparMotel

Ok, got it straightened out. Apparently the holley tech on the phone thought I had an intake for a thermoquad type carb where the primaries and secondaries are different sizes. I showed a picture of my intake to a local carburetor shop here in town and he confirmed my intake will work fine with my new holley without that adapter.

My mistake for not checking. Good thing I didn't spend $55 on the adapter yesterday!

Here's my intake with carb off.

1968 Dodge Charger

Chryco Psycho

sometimes the secondary linkage will interfere with the choke , make sure you check for WOT before filling the carb with fuel .
A thin spacer will life the carb enough generally .Did you also get the 20-7 linkage adapter ?

MoparMotel

Yes I did, I ordered the 20-7 Adapter along with the 20-36 Throttle Stud.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these cars so I can hopefully work on them myself one of these days.
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Well got the carb on and tuned last night... All I've got to say is holy shit! It literally feels like I'm driving a different car. Way better throttle response and when the secondaries kick down this thing freaking takes off!

I had him set the timing to your guys reccomendation and that made a big difference as well. When he put the light on it I was at 9* advance.... It is now at 18* initial and 38* total all in by 2500rpm and man does it run good the throttle is so much crisper.

Thank you very much guys for the advice, I'm all smiles right now :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Charger

bull

Chryco Psycho

So now you understand why I always recommend Holley type carbs although typically I have switched to using Proforms in most cases . The throtlle response is soooo much better ! :2thumbs:

MoparMotel

Going to do a little work to the car today. Ordered a cool looking red and blue steel braided fuel line with pressure gauge from Jegs and also ordered the coil relocator bracket from Fabulous Fabrications. Going to put both on today. Everyone have a good one today! :2thumbs:

1968 Dodge Charger