News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recommendations for diff and A833 fluid

Started by bull, October 17, 2012, 02:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm finishing up the prep to get this thing started and broke in but I want to make sure the 4 speed and rear end are ready, even if they do nothing. What type of fluid would you recommend for these two components?

68X426

I think you can't go wrong with the whole line-up at Valvoline. http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/gear-oil/

The builders and racers here will add opinions for weights. :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Chryco Psycho

75-90 w gear oil for both , or Rdline MTL for the trans

cdr

the trans is supposed to have atf ,i would mix 90 wgear oil & 1/2synthetic atf,if in a cold climate the gear oil will make it harder to shift until it warms up the oil
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Brightyellow69rtse

i used redline mtl for the tranny and it shifts like butter now, well after i got a pressure plate that wasnt screwed up.  i got redline shockproof (i forget the weight) in the dana. 

bull

I saw Redline at the store and was going to get it but decided to give Lucas synthetic 75w-90 a try. Been wanting to try Lucas in something so now's my chance. We'll see how it goes.

Chryco Psycho

I will not run ATF in a manual trans , they seem to wear much faster than when using gear oil , the only time I would think of using ATF is in sub freezing like - 30 temps & I would still use 1/2 & 1/2