News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re: NHC's 68 Charger resto/thrash-update- it's alive

Started by NHCharger, September 30, 2012, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Don't you love that crap? How many butt connectors can we fit in six inches of wiring?

Forgot to ask, did you wire wheel the body to get the paint off? Looks like it. Must've been a tedious job.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

six-tee-nine

Just read trough this. I was still a few pages behind....

WOW is all I can say. I really love the paint booth part. I'm contemplating something similar. When I see your pictures the only thing I can think is : I have a loooooooooong way ahead of me. I need to buy some hours on ebay to extend my days from 24 hrs up to 30 hrs a day.... :icon_smile_big:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

Bull- I had the doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid and front valance media blasted. When I got them back they were still dull. I went over them with a 3M paint and rust stripper that you just attach to the end of your drill. For the rest of the body I did strip all of it with the 3M paint and rust stripper. Probably went through 15-20 pads. Yes, very tedious.

Six-tee-nine, when I sometimes get discouraged I go back and view this thread. It shows me how far I have progressed working 12-16 hours a week on this.

73Rallye440- forgot to answer your question on the paint. Primer- PPG DP50LF Epoxy Primer. Because I primed it last October I had to sand it with 600 and re-prime. When I primed the last time I cut the primer with a reducer. It made the primer lay a lot flatter. Paint- PPG Deltron 2000 Basecoat ( $600.00+/gallon). Clear- Dupont ChromaClear G2-4700S ($300.00/gallon).

Also like to mention. Bought the tubular UCA's, poly bushing kit, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm and new steering box from Firm Feel. Great company and customer service, answered all my dumb questions.
Bought the disc brake kit from Fine Line. Still working on the brake system but no complaints so far. I noticed it's the same disc brake kit that several other vendors sell.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

nh_mopar_fan

Cripes.

How long are you going to milk this project?  :icon_smile_big:

NHCharger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 03, 2013, 08:28:48 PM
Cripes.

How long are you going to milk this project?  :icon_smile_big:

Hopefully not much longer.  ::)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Interior about done, except for carpet and seats.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Car is done from firewall back.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

OUTSTANDING  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: very good job,i am jealous  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

The engine was the wild card. I was able to compression test all the cylinders when I bought it except #3 & 5 because the headers were tight against the plugs, couldn't even remove the plugs. Well had a blown head gasket AND cracked head, guess where ::). Also four of the pistons were damaged. Engine builder said they appeared to have been dropped before they were installed. He said someone did a half assed rebuild just to get the engine back in the car. found plenty of that all over the car.

So since I was going to have a blank canvass I contacted our local engine guru (Ron- Firefighter) and he cooked up an nice engine package that my engine builder said should produce 500-525 HP.

Even the Denzo mini starter was still a tight fit. Had to remove the bolt extensions and even grind down the starter bolt so it didn't hit the block.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

I used a Pypes 2.5" crossover kit. It's a universal kit so it sure was nothing that fit out of the box. Took a lot of dicking around to finally clear the trans. cross member.

I'm running Dynomax ultra flows.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

Looks great. Love the color. Diggin' the tuff wheel too.

Jason

NHCharger

Quote from: jaak on March 08, 2014, 11:12:27 PM
Diggin' the tuff wheel too.

Jason

Another member (JB666?) had one. Thought it looked good in a second gen. Also installed a Flaming River tilt steering column. The one I got was stainless steel so I just polished it up for a bit of contrast in the all black interior. They're pretty simple to install.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bill440rt

Are you going to be painting the inside of the door frames black to match the interior or leaving them body color?  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

RIDELIKEHELL

:2thumbs: What Distributor you running there? Firecore?
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

WHITE AND RED 69

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bakerhillpins

WOW, Brian looks fantastic!  Can't wait to see it in person.  :yesnod:   :drool5: :drool5:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NHCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on March 09, 2014, 08:16:59 AM
Are you going to be painting the inside of the door frames black to match the interior or leaving them body color?  :scratchchin:
Uh-oh. I took reference pics of two different 68's at Carlisle. The ones that I used because the lighting was better showed it body color. When I checked my pics of Rarefish's all original 68 it shows it black like the rest of the interior. Too late at this point to change it.

What really irritates me is this. Box says 67-68 gas cap, looks like a 69 to me. I bought this two years ago, so I'm stuck with it for now.
Also when I took the trunk mat out of the box today and laid it in the trunk I noticed it had all the perforations for the cut outs in the wrong spots. They have all the cut outs reversed/mirror image. This is a REM product I bought two years ago at Carlisle so again I am stuck with it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on March 09, 2014, 01:23:08 PM
:2thumbs: What Distributor you running there? Firecore?

Why yes it is. Purchased the Ready to Run unit from Ron- Firefighter (OK shameless plug  :D ).
You can see the coil unit mounted to the PS inner fender wall. Like the fact that it eliminates the ballast resistor and ECU with only a minor modification to the engine harness.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Dino

Looking good!   :2thumbs:

I have the same Firecore system and can't wait to try it out.

The gas cap is correct for '68.  The '69 cap says 'FUEL'.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

Dino your right I just checked. My car had the 69 cap that says FUEL. I actually like the 69 caps better ;)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel