News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re: NHC's 68 Charger resto/thrash-update- it's alive

Started by NHCharger, September 30, 2012, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

After the rear end debacle I was pleasantly surprised with the roof and front valance. Valance had a small dinger in the middle that I pounded out and smoothed over. The roof had a few low spots but no rust. The trunk lid was rust free except for a few pin holes on the bottom side.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

The doors had the usual parking lot dings along the back edge. Driver side had one bad spot that they had packed with bondo. I cut that area out and cut and bent a new piece of metal to fit.
The passenger door was rust free (think it was a replacement door). It was hit in the middle and had an inch of filler  :rofl: I pounded the dent out but because the metal was stretched from the hit it was flimsy. I welded a backer piece of metal on the back side of the door to stiffen it up. both doors had lots of little dents which needed to be tapped out and smoothed over.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

lookin great,your gettin after it  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

Thanks cdr, I've been at this for over a year.
The fenders required some work. The driver side had one small patch in the dogleg, other than that no rust. Just the assorted bumps and bruises.
The passenger side was a piece of shit. It was a replacement fender that came out of Ted Stephen's yard in AL. Pretty sure he danced a jig on it before shipping it north. It had no rust but was beat all over. i did the best I could with the hammer and dolly. Also had to do some metal shrinking in two spots. I'll be the first to admit my metal shrinking skills suck. If this was an #'s R/T car I would have bought AMD metal for this fender and both quarters. I was not happy with the amount of filler on the passenger fender, even thou it's only 1/8" thick in a few spots.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

The passenger fender also took a hit on the front edge, caving it in. Someone tried to pull it out with a dent puller :hah:
I cut the spot welds on the bottom edge of the fender and cut the bad section out. Hammer and dollied it back into shape. Ended up stretching the metal doing that so I made a relief cut in the middle to remove the excess metal. There is a low spot that runs almost the length of the fender from one side to the other. I ran a piece of tape down it to make sure all the contours lined up. For a small repair this was a pain in the ass.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

rebby

Impressive work so far... Keep it up!
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

NHCharger

Haven't got much accomplished since October. Hadn't been feeling well off and on for a couple of years, gastritis said the Doc. Turned out to be a perforated appendix. Was on restricted lifting for a month before and after they were removed (Halloween). Been slammed with work the last three months so the Charger has sat quietly. I did manage to spray some sealer on her late October, so the body work is done except for the engine compartment and cowl area. The back side of the fenders got a coat of SEM rust inhibitor and a coat of undercoating.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Yanked the engine mid December. Since I have it out I'm going to tear it down and have it checked out. For a Christmas present I got my gauges back from Mr. Heater Box. Amazing how this project has evolving from a quick fix to full resto including brake, steering and suspension upgrades.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

I decided against black for a color, too much up keep and was concerned the it might show any flaws from my bodyworking skills - or lack there of. Valance has not been wet sanded, cut and buffed yet. Just wanted to paint that to make sure I liked the color before doing the entire car.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

awesome job thanks for the update... really liking the color
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

NHCharger

Against Bakerhillpins advice I am converting the car to non-A/C. I only cruise and drive with the windows down and the non A/C units are much easier to deal with. I did find one bad spot in the frame when I removed the steering box. An amateur attempt was made to fix it. I'm going to cut it out and do it right.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on February 03, 2013, 07:29:10 PM
awesome job thanks for the update... really liking the color

RLH. I have pictures of your resto scattered through out my shop. Been using them for a reference guide. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mytur Binsdirti

Almost looks like you know what you're doing.  ;)

lexxman

What did you use to clean up your panels? The doors and valance look nice before and after paint.

NHCharger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on February 03, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
Almost looks like you know what you're doing.  ;)

:rofl: :rofl: This is my first go round with a second gen. Some definite differences from my 3rd gens.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Quote from: lexxman on February 03, 2013, 07:37:53 PM
What did you use to clean up your panels? The doors and valance look nice before and after paint.

I had the doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid and front valance media blasted. After I got them back I went over them with a 3M paint and rust stripper. The rest of the car I also stripped with the 3m paint and rust stripper, went thru about a dozen or so disks.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

glad to see you makin some progress  :yesnod:  i too have been gettin some done on my junk

NHCharger

Charlie, I've been watching your progress on FB, looking good.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

Quote from: NHCharger on February 03, 2013, 07:47:48 PM
Charlie, I've been watching your progress on FB, looking good.

thanx,glad that you are feeling better also,it sucks when doctors run test after test & cant tell ya whats wrong! i went through that for about 6 years, my wife thought i was crazy------------well she was right lol

bill440rt

Looks great, NH!  :cheers:
What color blue did you go with?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

lasvegas69charg

looks great and love the color.  What color interior are you going with
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉