News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How white is 70 white?

Started by b5blue, September 27, 2012, 06:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Forgive my ignorance but having decided to shoot my 70 Charger in white I ordered "Bright White" from Kirker Paints as it showed a match for a Chrysler paint code. (The only white offered in pre-mixed with a Chrysler #) Comparing the paint chart that came with the paint shows 3 others that are much whiter with mine almost looking very pale grayish next to them.
Having never seen any white 2nd gens in person I've nothing to go by but at this point I could change to "pure white" as I'm ordering more paint and the cost is minimal. (Thinking one gallon is not going to cover all I want to shoot.) A ballpark match would be okay as the plan is to re-shoot in a year or two to B5 Blue when money is not so tight. I could use this gallon I have as a topcoat/sealer in lots of places that will never be seen later if a really pure white is more correct for 70.  :scratchchin:

bill440rt

1970 white was code W-1, also called Spinnaker White in other years as well.
It is not a "true" white, but more of an off-white with an ivory hue.

If you're planning on repainting it, then I guess it wouldn't matter. It sounds like the Kirker paints have "generic" colors of white rather than exact factory matches.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/Misc/colors2.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Mine is white but the previous owner has no clue if it's a Chrysler color or not.  Mine looks pretty bright but as with every white it depends on wht pther white car is parked next to it.  That's when you see the blues and reds in the white paint as well.

Best thing you can do is go to a body shop and see if they can show you the paint samples to compare.  If they don't have the original white on a sample you can ask what the minimum amount of paint is they can make for you.  When you have a bit of paint you can go compare to others.  I really like the white on my car so I'm going to visit a body shop as well so I can figure out where it came from.

Pic of mine and one of White and Red's.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

Thanks guys! Bill's link helps by comparison to the white of the page the color chart is on with the white sample. That's about the difference on my chart samples. Dino thanks for the pics, Chargers wear white well!  :2thumbs: