News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

top speed

Started by Charger1970, September 29, 2012, 08:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1970

Was there ever any info available showing the top speed of bone stock Daytonas and Superbirds? Just wondering...it has nothing to do with my girlfriend asking which one is faster.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

A383Wing

Superbirds had more drag compared to the Daytona....I think the Daytona was .29 CE from what I remember

Bryan

Arnie Cunningham

Bone stock, my 4 bbl bird is turning 6000 rpm at 120 mph.  Somewhere around 6500 to 7000 rpm, the engine explodes, a belt comes off, the polyglass tires give out, the points float, the nylon teeth come off the timing chain gear or some other similar mayhem occurs.  That puts the bone stock top end somewhere below 140.  Most of the problem is the 3.54, 3.55 gear ratio that all Superbirds were built with.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

daveco

Sounds like somebody needs to pony up a rock stock 4 speed Hemi Daytona for some Salt Flats testing... :scratchchin:
R/Tree

Ghoste

And a rock stock four speed Hemi Superbird for comparison.

daveco

Is it too much to ask???...think of the children :'(
R/Tree

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Charger1970 on September 29, 2012, 08:44:43 PM
Was there ever any info available showing the top speed of bone stock Daytonas and Superbirds? Just wondering...it has nothing to do with my girlfriend asking which one is faster.

Well, if the Superbird's 150 mph speedo is accurate - I've pegged mine twice back in the day (and actually had it sitting past the 150 mark).   Downhill south of Danville KY on the 4 lane approach to the Kentucky River.

When I hit the bottom the G forces seemed liked they pushed the car down.

dreamcatcher

My tribute bird with the 426 and a six pack with 271 gears hits the 130 140 very easy...  :icon_smile_wink:
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

hemi68charger

Not sure what my top speed would have been, but I did 125+ with 4.10's/Gearvendor at Texas Motor Speedway....... I didn't keep at it since there were people on the track maintaining it. Plus, it is a different feeling when your inches from the wall and whipping around on about 33 degree banking....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi Runner

My RR traps 140 in the quarter with 3.73 gears. I just put a gear vendors in it for some really high mph!! I'd really like to add the SB aero parts and run it at Maxton. That'd be major fun!

Ghoste

Tell your girlfriend it's the Charger and leave it at that.  :D

Chryco Psycho

Any of them can be fast ,  the Dana limits most 4 spds with the 3.54 gearing but geared with 2.76 in an 8 3/4 look out , I believe there is a 2.5 gear ratio also .
For example @ 5000 rpm with 275/60 tires & 2.76 gears you are doing 146 MPH
@ 6000 RPM you are doing 181 MPH & @ 7000 rpm you are doing 212 MPH
So over 200 MPH is possible & was done in 69
Take my Charger for example , I have the 2.76 gears, the 275 /60 tires & the 833 OD so above happens in 3rd gear , adding 4th gear the #  look like this -
5000 rpm  in OD / 4th is 212 MPH
6000 rpm in OD - 252 MPH
7000 rpm in OD - approx 275 MPH
the reality is after 200 mph the HP to go faster becomes enormous , roughly 1200 HP to get to 250-260 which is why I have twin turbos to add to my charger after EFI  :coolgleamA:

pandamarie

What would belly pans and lowering the car do to top end speed? Less drag = less HP to push it to higher top end.
I am still in the process of building my Daytona clone, (the Dean of the college kicked it out of the shop so its back in my garage next to my 32 Buick) I am adding MPEFI to it, have the Gear Vendors installed with 3.23 gears, will be working on the belly pans after I finish the exhaust, going with 3" SS , just got my TTI headers with bungs for O2 sensors.
The engine was built to turn 7000 rpm but dont plan on running it over 6000. hard to come up with money on disability.
I will be happy when I can run mine over 200.

Indygenerallee

Im gonna say this without trying to sound like a asshole but building a car living off disability money and being realistic about it reaching over 200 MPH is a longshot, more power to ya but your gonna need loads of $$$ and time to do it and do it SAFELY.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Scaregrabber

Any Mopar I drove back then with a 440 or Hemi always reached it's redline in high gear. The wings were not required to reach top speed with a stock 440 or Hemi. I can't remember but I think 3.23 means around 150 MPH and 3.54 around 140MPH with stock size 15 inch tires.

Sheldon

A383Wing

a lot more HP is needed to push a car up past the 150 mark...the wings & noses helped a lot...wind resistance in a stock "B" body back then would limit the speed & RPM you would see out of your car...just because you can hit 6000 rpm in first gear or second, I doubt you would reach it in 4th gear

Bryan

pandamarie

Thanks for no help, you will all see the car in a few years, its far from stock and all the speed parts and body parts have already been bought and paid for including a 10 point cage. Guess you missed the OD part too. Have already had the engine to 6500 before the OD install so not worried about the engine. Also just found a set of 2.73 gears out in the shed so with the drag of a stock Daytona running a 29" tall rear tire and 6500 rpm I think I will come close if not top 200. I can do all my own work have for 50 years right now its just time and pain that keep this project slow.

A383Wing

Arnie Cunningham

"Bone Stock" i.e. right off the showroom floor, my guess is that the Daytona would be the "fastest" (top end).
Did any Daytonas come with 3.23s?  If so, they would definitely have a higher top end.
Daytonas would also be the "quickest" as some of them had 4.10s

Question:  I have seen Superbirds with 4.10s in them but I have never seen documentation of a factory
produced, ordered or mistakenly assembled 4.10 Superbird.  Are there any documented examples of
a Super Track Pack Superbird from the factory?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Brutalowner

Does anybody know the frontal area of a stock or race prepped Daytona/ Superbird? It looks like .28-.29CD is the accepted drag coefficient.
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

Indygenerallee

Idk, all I know is my Daytona is gonna be slammed on the deck, probably 2" ground clearance and my front aluminum "Nascar" spec spoiler will be just as low  :lol:
I have a 8 3/4 2.97 gearset and my 5 speed 545RFE behind the Hemi oughta be enough to get me in trouble.  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Brutalowner

Would be cool to find data from the real race prepped wingcars, from 69-72. Info such as frontal area, drag coefficient, tire dia, rake, etc. It's bound to be out there somewhere....
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

JB400

Here's a cool article of winged history.

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles/winged-warrior-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-181

My favorite part:  With the major problems sorted the project was moving at a fast clip, but then the all-powerful styling department, which had been left out in the cold up to this point, decided to muscle in. One leading stylist was determined to carve up the Daytona's nose, and was met with a blunt refusal from the team. Throwing a tantrum in front of Dodge boss Bob McCurry, he was bluntly told by the chief, "I don't give a sh*t what it looks like. It goes fast. If you can't help, get out of the way."   :smilielol: :smilielol:

tan top

Quote from: pandamarie on October 02, 2012, 08:56:37 AM
Thanks for no help, you will all see the car in a few years, its far from stock and all the speed parts and body parts have already been bought and paid for including a 10 point cage. Guess you missed the OD part too. Have already had the engine to 6500 before the OD install so not worried about the engine. Also just found a set of 2.73 gears out in the shed so with the drag of a stock Daytona running a 29" tall rear tire and 6500 rpm I think I will come close if not top 200. I can do all my own work have for 50 years right now its just time and pain that keep this project slow.

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 03, 2012, 12:47:22 PM
Idk, all I know is my Daytona is gonna be slammed on the deck, probably 2" ground clearance and my front aluminum "Nascar" spec spoiler will be just as low  :lol:
I have a 8 3/4 2.97 gearset and my 5 speed 545RFE behind the Hemi oughta be enough to get me in trouble.  :lol:

:o :coolgleamA:  sounds  like some serious top end persuing going on ! Guys , would love to see some pictures of the build ups etc etc some time  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

I get what CP is saying I think, that BONE STOCK, the cars will all run out of engine before the aero packages make any difference.