News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ramchargers

Started by mauve66, September 29, 2012, 07:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauve66

trucks that is
still trying to get something that can tow the charger, can't afford newer trks like i want so i have been watching older trks, they don't come around often in good shape out here.  then i remembered ramchargers, are they capable of towing a full dress 1st gen and steel trailer??
i've seen motor range from 318 to 360 to 440 all autos, all in decent condition, pros??  cons??  i know there are a couple of trk enthusiasts around here

thanks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

daveco

A long wheel base is important for happy towing, a Ramcharger is pretty darn short.
R/Tree

Chryco Psycho

I agree too short to tow with , I think the wheel base is slightly shorter than a short box ram

mauve66

i've seen a tow capacity sheet for 318 and 360 motors showing from 4500-6800, don't know if they were for 4X2 or 4X4 though, regardless of what the factory says though its to short of a wheel base for a car trailer??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

daveco

It's not TOO short (a buddy of mine used to tow a car trailer with a 2wd 318 Ramcharger), it's just not fun.
A 3/4 ton LWB is what I would want.
R/Tree

daveco

What is your geographic impediment?
Budget?
R/Tree

mauve66

250 miles to los angeles
250 miles to phoenix
400+ miles to salt lake
lazy, don't want to drive 5+ hours to find out its a 30-40 footer with a good photographer to make it look better than it is
don't get me wrong, i'm hoping to drive my charger everywhere i go when its done, but i need something other than paying 75-100 bucks per tow to get it to and from repair shops (body, alignment, whatever else comes up), plus if we do go farther than salt lake a truck would probably be more comfortable and it would have a/c which i don't know if i will ever get into the charger.

plus i'm tired of this 4 cyl ford and want a mopar again

i did tow it once with a 96-98 short bed 4X4 ram and it did seem to push the truck when trying to stop but the trailer didn't have brakes on it and i'm not 100% sure the suspension on the trk wasn't worn out (bought it at an auction from an equipment company so i'm not sure how it was treated in its former life. i sold it before ever starting to work on it.

i appreciate all the feedback, but your depressing me as this ramcharger i'm looking at is pretty damn nice and seems priced right, but of course that still doesn' make it a good deal.
i gues i was hoping your answer would be "great, go for it", thanks for the honesty though

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

daveco

Trailer brakes make all the difference, but patience is rewarding. A good deal on the right tow vehicle will show up.
A regular PU truck will also be much more usefull in non-towing applications.
R/Tree

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

mauve66

440 trk, like it better for the motor and the matching interior

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3264584826.html

318/360 trk, never been found of the all red mopar interior form the 80's though

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3278603851.html
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

daveco

My thoughts exactly on the red interior, still a darned nice looking truck. Keep in mind there is a reason these things are priced the way they are, they just aren't as useful as a regular truck.
Now if that is a compromise that is acceptable then a Ramcharger may work out OK, assuming (danger, danger) the trailer/brakes situation is optimised
R/Tree

daveco

The 440 thing is obviously a transplant, who knows what that may involve.
R/Tree

daveco

I've actually been looking for the ideal tow vehicle for the last couple of years now and have not been able to settle on one particular set-up.
What I have decided to look for is a 3/4T or single wheel one-ton 1989-93 reg cab long bed.

• Modern Brakes
  • Fuel Injected
...and some hope of being able to find maintanence/replacement parts.
R/Tree

daveco

It is out there somewhere....
R/Tree

Chryco Psycho

I would look at an older 3/4 ton Cummins , lots of power & great milage even while towing

mauve66

just found a v10 2500 for $1500, a little body damage but better than 7K, didn't someone on here have a v10.....................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

1970Moparmann

Allen (Hust) had one.  This would be a much better option than a Ramcharger.  Through some wind at you and you'll be white knuckling it and turn into an alcoholic.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mauve66

alright, so i gave in on the ramcharger, when i read about cummins they have 12valve and 24 valve, then they talk about a 5.9 diesel and some models have a "pin" problem that ruins motors, EVERYBODY says the autos don't hold up to the motor

so far i "THINK" i should be looking for a 24 valve, 92-99, 2500 preferably, manual trans, with less than 175K miles on it

is this the prefered target area??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Chryco Psycho

I had an 89 Cummins with the KDP & a friend had a 92 , mine hit 600,000 miles with no problem & my friends was 1.3 million with no issue , the KDP is an easy fix too . 93-97 would be the years I would look for though

daveco

The "pin" (Killer Dowel Pin) problem is pretty simple really. The front cover/accessory drive gear cover is indexed to the front of the block with steel dowel pins.
The pins carry no load once the mounting bolts are torqued, this makes it possible for the pins to slowly work their way out of the locating holes.
Sometimes they fall out and end up getting caught between cam drive gears resulting in significant even catastrophic damage.
Kits are available to eliminate the risk.
R/Tree

mauve66

the difference between the 12 valve and 24 valve??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Indygenerallee

12v is mechanical 24v is electronic injection, 24v is better driveability but you need to watch out for a 53 block (they crack on the 99-01's I should know I had one!  :eek2:)
the injection pump and lift pumps are pricey over $1800.00 for both (just parts!) but the 12v is pretty much damn near bulletproof after you fix the KDP. I have bought and sold 5 Cummins this year they go like hotcakes!!  :icon_smile_big: Damn good trucks!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bull

Going would not be a problem for something short like a Ramcharger. Stopping, on the other hand...

mauve66

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 07, 2012, 09:08:38 PM
12v is mechanical 24v is electronic injection, 24v is better driveability but you need to watch out for a 53 block (they crack on the 99-01's I should know I had one!  :eek2:)
the injection pump and lift pumps are pricey over $1800.00 for both (just parts!) but the 12v is pretty much damn near bulletproof after you fix the KDP. I have bought and sold 5 Cummins this year they go like hotcakes!!  :icon_smile_big: Damn good trucks!

thanks
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

greenpigs

I am on Ramcharger Central often and the bulk of the posts I have read say to get a longer wheel base truck as stated earlier.

The only reason they used their Ramchargers was because that's what they had, it is not what MOST would recommend.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free