News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How's the quality of the repro MP bumpers?

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, September 28, 2012, 06:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Anyone know? If they suck, who's the best for rechromed bumpers?

Cooter

I was happy with mine. Of course, I don't own a 100 point anything..Ever, though.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ryan

Not nice enough for your car IMO. Get originals redone.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Troy

I think most people prefer Tri City for rechroming. The repros are ok for a driver but thin and wavy for anything show worthy.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ryan

Quote from: Troy on September 28, 2012, 12:31:10 PM
I think most people prefer Tri City for rechroming. The repros are ok for a driver but thin and wavy for anything show worthy.

Troy

not to mention that the rear does not fit well at all. Front fits well but is wavy. Rear was not wavy actually looked nice, but its fit was terrible. I tried 3 of them.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Fred

Quote from: Ryan on September 28, 2012, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: Troy on September 28, 2012, 12:31:10 PM

Troy

not to mention that the rear does not fit well at all. Front fits well but is wavy. Rear was not wavy actually looked nice, but its fit was terrible. I tried 3 of them.

Same here, tried even more. I couldn't believe how badly they fitted and the waves were terrible. In the end I got my originals re chromed. Look great, fit well. I'm happy.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Just 6T9 CHGR

After having a tweeked front bumper on my car for years (the chrome held up great though....the rear one from them is still fine as well) from the Bumper Boyz, I bought an AMD repro for the front.
Like others said they are very thin & much lighter than the originals.  The chrome is so-so at best.  Not as "deep" as having an original rechromed.

I am just happy that the bumper actually "fits" better than the one I had did  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lord Warlock

does rechroming fix scratches and dings in the bumper itself,  My bumpers are relatively straight, but the front has a deep scratch on one side, and the rear is fairly rusty behind where the tag would sit.  They've been hanging on a wall for almost 20 years and i'm finally getting to the point where i will need to reinstall them.  Not as nice as i thought they were when i took them off. 

Anyone in florida know of a good rechroming source? 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JB400

Yes your plater should repair all the scratches and dings in your bumpers.  They strip them down to bare metal and start from scratch.  Or at least they should.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 30, 2012, 02:30:02 PM
Yes your plater should repair all the scratches and dings in your bumpers.  They strip them down to bare metal and start from scratch.  Or at least they should.

Absolutely. They should come back as new. That's what you're paying for.

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ghoste

Cooter

Do your homework here.

I've found there are two distinct types of Chromers.

1. Dippers and shippers. Do NOT repair anything and only plate, usually not that great anyway..

2. Actual Chromers who actually repair the part, then plate it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 01, 2012, 05:30:09 AM
What is "pinned"?
I believe that it's another term for having a smoothed bumper. In other words, the bumper bolts have been welded to the bumper and the head of the bolts ground down flush with the face of the bumper.

69 OUR/TEA

I rolled the dice with Tri-City this year,sent them my originals ,fr and rr and bumperettes 6 weeks before Carlisle,they got them done,I picked them up at Carlisle and can say I'm very pleased with the quality of the chrome work. :2thumbs:
$325.00 each bumper,and 45.00 for each bumperette.

bill440rt

I have a set on my '69, made by Goodmark. I was on a budget at the time & they fit the bill.
Unlike some, I had no problems with fit. My rear bumper is much better than the front bumper, quality-wise. It's actually pretty nice. Front has some waves & scratches. Thickness seems to be on par with the originals, they did not feel thinner to me.
I do find that the chrome scratches very easily, much easier than other bumpers that I have had professionally rechromed. Since they fit fine, I may someday send them out to have them rechromed nicer. But, they are fine for now.

Last chromer I used for bumpers was Martin's of Philly, just make sure you are sitting down when asking for a quote.  :faint:
Paul's Chrome is also supposed to be very good.
Maybe I'll use Tri-City for the repros, but I'd like to see their work first. With chrome, you get what you pay for.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Stupid question, but if they are making these in China then why do they have to be thinner and with crappy chrome?  Would it really be THAT much more money to do them right?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bill440rt on October 02, 2012, 07:37:17 AM
I have a set on my '69, made by Goodmark. I was on a budget at the time & they fit the bill.
Unlike some, I had no problems with fit. My rear bumper is much better than the front bumper, quality-wise. It's actually pretty nice. Front has some waves & scratches. Thickness seems to be on par with the originals, they did not feel thinner to me.
I do find that the chrome scratches very easily, much easier than other bumpers that I have had professionally rechromed. Since they fit fine, I may someday send them out to have them rechromed nicer. But, they are fine for now.

Last chromer I used for bumpers was Martin's of Philly, just make sure you are sitting down when asking for a quote.  :faint:
Paul's Chrome is also supposed to be very good.
Maybe I'll use Tri-City for the repros, but I'd like to see their work first. With chrome, you get what you pay for.

I did exactly that on my rear bumper on my Daytona(no need for front obviously) , cleand up the edges a little and had the brand new bumper recromed.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2012, 07:50:03 AM
Stupid question, but if they are making these in China then why do they have to be thinner and with crappy chrome?  Would it really be THAT much more money to do them right?
Chinese business philosphy:  Don't worry about making a good one.   Make the cheap so the Americans will buy them at Wal-Mart.  If it breaks, they'll buy another more expensive one.  Same one, different box.  We'll make billions.

Ghoste

Yes, but we aren't buying this part from Wal Mart.  If enough people complained or quit buying it, the company selling them would force the Chinese vendor to make a part to spec.  I blame us as consumers not the Chinese.

NHCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on October 02, 2012, 07:37:17 AM

Bill, I have six bumpers on my chargers. The rear on my 71 was done by NU-Chrome in Mass. They did a good job but have a reputation for losing stuff. The front bumper on my 72 is from Ted Stephens in AL. After not hearing back from him for a month about my core charge I called them and he told me that my core was to rotted to use. (The only problem was the chrome was flaking off). After a heated argument he offered to ship it back to me, just needed my CC info to charge me for shipping. Ted loves fuckin' the northerners, must think we're still at war.
The last three I have got from Tri-City. Been very happy with the quality and price.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on October 02, 2012, 07:50:03 AM

That's anybody's guess. I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that I don't buy anything made in China if I can help it.

Ghoste

Doesn't leave you in a position to buy much these days then does it?