News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a new floor jack

Started by Paul G, September 26, 2012, 10:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

A383Wing

stay away from the Harbor Freight jacks....they are junk

I'm still using the aluminum fast rise pump jack that I got at Costco maybe 5 years ago...still woking

Bryan

Indygenerallee

Could not disagree more, I have that exact jack and use it all the time and never had a problem with it.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Paul G

Quote from: cdr on September 26, 2012, 10:16:44 PM
this is a great jack
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ACD9/34700/N0768.oap?ck=Search_N0768_-1_484&pt=N0768&ppt=C0373

I missed the boat on that one. It was on sale a couple weeks ago and I let it pass.

I have a broke down Craftsmen Racing jack that has ben a royal POS since the day I got it. First one leaked badly, Sears exchanged it. Now a few years later this one bleeds down under load, and now the universal joint snapped on it. A real POS. Time for a new one. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cdr

the one i posted we have used them at our shop for years used & abused ,they have held up much better than i thought they would,lasting 3,4 years commercial use
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

daveco

R/Tree

68X426

My Harbor jack has worked perfectly for 4 years. I'd say it's hit-and-miss with Harbor. You would have to buy their warranty, thereby not actually saving anything. Everyone I know that have Craftsman jacks blew out, so what can you do?

Yeah I think 55# is heavy. But then you can put it in the trunk and use it for ballast at the drag races. ;D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

daveco

The key to making a Harbor Freight hydraulic anything last, is to drain the factory fill "hydraulicy fluid-like" and refill with a known quality hydraulic fluid.
I think the chinese factories dispose of their toxic waste by shipping it to the U.S. in cheap hydraulic equipment.
R/Tree

Troy

Do any of these have a slow release? Every heavy duty jack I've had is very touchy and will drop a car immediately by barely turning the handle. I've gotten to the point of using bottle jacks to put my cars up on stands so they don't slam back down.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

41husk

I think I have had that Harbor frieght jack for abou 4 years now.  I got it for $79-$89  :shruggy:  I keep it under the back seat of the truck and use it 4 or 5 times a year.  It has worked great.  I have a heavy duty floor jack in the garage and I agree with Troy it scares the crap out of me sometimes :eek2:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemigeno

Quote from: Troy on September 27, 2012, 08:09:22 AM
I've gotten to the point of using bottle jacks to put my cars up on stands so they don't slam back down.

Even my Craftsman "Professional"  ::)  bottle jack has started to puke fluid at the seam between the bottle and its cast base when under a load.  It leaves a nasty puddle behind, and I know that sooner or later it'll leave me stranded on the side of the road by not being able to extend enough or by letting go unexpectedly.  Neither is palatable.

Are Craftsman jacks returnable under their hand-tools lifetime guarantee, or am I now the proud owner of a nice Chinese paperweight?

Old Moparz

I had a Craftsman floor jack for years until it was swiped out of my garage before I finished building it. I'm pretty sure the auto glass repair guys who did the windshield in my wife's car left with it when nobody was looking. It worked fine the time I had it, like 15 years or so, so I bought another one that I still use without issues. It's been another 15 years with this one now, & will let the car down slowly & not drop it. I thought about getting the aluminum one because of the weight, but I hate replacing things that aren't broken.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

72Charger-SE

I have this same one...  I've used it to lift the Charger, my 1999 Silverado, my Toyota Prius, several of our motor homes for tire changes and repairs, as well as lifting my motorcycle.  This is the BEST purchase I made for my shop!  I am going to get another one...  seems 2 is more efficient than 1 with all the lifting I am accustomed to doing...

Quote from: daveco on September 26, 2012, 11:44:27 PM
This one from Northern tool is an excellent jack:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429

kab69440

Quote from: 68X426 on September 27, 2012, 01:29:51 AM
But then you can put it in the trunk and use it for ballast at the drag races. ;D

Oooooooooohhh...  So, THAT's why they call 'em "racing jacks"!!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bull

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 26, 2012, 10:36:16 PM
Could not disagree more, I have that exact jack and use it all the time and never had a problem with it.

:iagree: I've had my HF US General floor jack for 6-7 years now and it works great. I can lift one whole side of my 4,500 lb. Durango off the ground with it and rotate the tires. I love it.

TXcharger70

Quote from: bull on September 27, 2012, 05:06:21 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 26, 2012, 10:36:16 PM

:iagree: I've had my HF US General floor jack for 6-7 years now and it works great. I can lift one whole side of my 4,500 lb. Durango off the ground with it and rotate the tires. I love it.

I agree I have had the same harbor freight US general jack for 3 years and have no complaints

FJ5WING

the Northern Tool piece looks pretty nice but not for $65.00 worth of shipping. :P
wingless now, but still around.

Charger RT

I have 2 jacks both snap on (lincoln painted red) both heavy one is a two ton the other 2.5. one is 30 years old one is 20. I resealed both 5 years ago and both have been and will continue to be work horses. Each of them cost a good buck when I bought them new but I can say I have always had a good dependable jack. At work we have gone through a few jacks in the 10 years I have been there. All were junk compared to what I have. One of the other mechanics that does alot of side work got tired of junk jacks he has had and bought an old broke lincoln like mine and rebuilt it (painted it snap on red) he has 250.00 into it but it should still be working 20 years from now. You get what you pay for.
Tim

Paul G

I bought the 3 ton jack in the first post. Been using it for two weekends now. So far so good. Actually very smooth to roll around on the floor and very controlable when lowering the car. So far I really like it. Only negative is the amount of pumps it takes to get the car all the way up. But it is a 3 ton.

41husk

If your happy were happy :cheers:  Enjoy!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: daveco on September 27, 2012, 03:52:39 AM
The key to making a Harbor Freight hydraulic anything last, is to drain the factory fill "hydraulicy fluid-like" and refill with a known quality hydraulic fluid.
I think the chinese factories dispose of their toxic waste by shipping it to the U.S. in cheap hydraulic equipment.
Wow, interesting.  I'll have to do that with mine.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

bakerhillpins

So besides lift weight what are other good "features" to shop for with these things?  Lift height? Unit length? Pump angle?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

odcics2

My old Sears jack was bought in 1973 and still works great. Never one problem....

Have you considered a used one off c'list?   'Old school' jacks are pretty bullet proof...  :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?