News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger RT Build Estimate

Started by charlie45, September 26, 2012, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

Hello,

I'm new to this forum here, and am interesting in getting a 68 Charger.

First off, my compliments to all you guys for having such great forum. Really an amazing resource of information on these cars here...

So, I had a 68 Charger when I was 16 (currently 32), and I've regretted selling that car tremendously ever since then (especially considering how much they have gone up in value since I sold it...)

Anyways, I've decided that I want another 68. However, I have particular modifications in mind (i.e. I don't want a 100% original spec car) to make it a good street performer as well.

Here are few of the things that I would ideally like:

- Hotchkis TVS Suspension with good performance shocks
- 440 Engine with about 500hp for reliable daily use
- Tremec 5 speed transmission
- Wilwood Big Brakes F/R
- A good set of headers and exhaust system
- Flaming River Steering Box
- Sure Grip Differential
- American Racing Custom 500 wheels
- Black Interior
- Black Exterior (maybe with white RT stripes)

I would like it to be an RT (not clone).

So here's the question: How much would a good restorer/builder ask to build this car??? Obviously, I just want to get estimates from you guys, since you have experience in what a project like this should cost.

Thanks in advance!

cdr

a lot  :icon_smile_big:,it just depends on how much metal work the car needs,a shoot off the hip :2guns:  40 to 50,done right
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bakerhillpins

Quote from: charlie45 on September 26, 2012, 11:16:29 AM
Anyways, I've decided that I want another 68. However, I have particular modifications in mind (i.e. I don't want a 100% original spec car) to make it a good street performer as well.

[snip]

I would like it to be an RT (not clone).

If you don't want an original spec car why does it matter if it has an XS in the VIN?  :shruggy: :Twocents:

You might find most of what you want in a car that is already running and then you can upgrade to the stuff that isn't there.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mike DC

Step #1 - figure out how nice you want the overall fit & finish of the car to be.  Shop for a car with something near that body/interior.  Don't sweat the colors & options as much as the overall condition of the metal parts. 

You are better off buying the body condition you want and adding the mechanical stuff later.  If you want a solid black car, then you should shop for a solid car of any color and assume you will have to paint it black.  DO NOT buy a black rusty car and pay to make it solid again.  Etc. 

Step #2 - much less important than step #1 - pay attention to the mechanical go-fast stuff you want. 

JB400

If your just going to have someone else build it, why not buy one already done.  Plenty of them out there.  Bolt your parts on that you want on there and have fun.  It'd get you on the road a lot quicker and save you the headaches of getting one built.  Especially if you go to a bad shop. :eek2:

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bull

Quote from: 68X426 on September 26, 2012, 01:03:38 PM
want to get estimates

$43,589.16

By the way, welcome to the forum.  :drive:

Unless you go with a Hans Luedtke restoration, then it's half that. Until you figure out how bad he botched it and it costs you another $45k to fix it right.

Homerr

There are really 3 costs that you are asking about, if I have this correct -

1.  Cost of a '68 Charger

$500 rusted hulk to $50-100,000 one that is close to what you want already

2.  Cost of paint/bodywork/labor

$0 for a cherry black/black car to $50,000 for a rusty hulk missing parts

3.  Go-fast parts

$0 for one that is already there to $40,000? for all the go-fast stuff done by pros with high shop rates

The labor cost is the part you won't really be able to recoup.  So, the labor is where you can save a ton if you buy something that is close where someone else already put the money in it.

elacruze

Quote from: 68X426 on September 26, 2012, 01:03:38 PM
want to get estimates

$43,589.16

By the way, welcome to the forum.  :drive:

+1, if your driveline is already in good shape.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charlie45

Thank you guys for all the insightful feedback thus far.

I should clarify that I'm based in Germany. Hence I was contemplating having the car completely done by someone in the states and then shipping it over here...

Alternatively, you all make a valid point of buying a good "platform" car and then doing all the aforementioned modifications. However, I would have to do that here in Germany since it is too much of a hassle for me to go to the states, buy the car, then find the shop to have the work done, then have it shipped over, etc, etc....

I have one vehicle in particular that I'm looking at over here Germany. Since you guys obviously seem to know the values of these car fairly well, maybe you can take a look at these detailed pictures, give me your rough estimate what you think this thing is worth or would sell for in the US (just based on the pics). The interior needs quite a bit of work, and I think the seller is asking a bit too much, but I'd like to hear your thoughts...

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss75/smashpalace/Dodge/Charger/?albumview=slideshow

Appreciate your help here, and thanks again for the feedback.

Regards from crazy Bavaria (yes, crazy because of the Octoberfest going on here in Munich...) :cheers:

JB400

Looks pretty decent. Does need some work though.  The guages need some work as does the trim pieces in the interior.  Body looks good.  Depends on how much mud is under the paint.  My estimate  as is $20-27,500.  It looks respectable, but does need work.  Considering your want list, it's a good start.

Do me a favor, enjoy a pint for me :cheers:

Best of luck getting a car.  Welcome to the group :2thumbs:

Patronus

I would change a few of those options  :Twocents:
And Germany to boot huh? Good exchange rate eh? I'd love to build ya one, PM me.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Dino

I see a lot of mud in that thing.  Seller is Dutch, how many thousands does he want for that?  Seat covers are for a 69, interior needs a lot of work, body is going to need quite a bit as well.  Bottom of rockers and quarters are pretty wavy and you can see the amount of filler on the bottom of the front fender.

Without actually seeing it, it's very hard to put a value on it. If it's a real R/T, numbers matching then it'll have decent value as is but I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it.

I'd also buy a non R/T to keep cost down.  If you're not keeping it stock then what's the point of having an R/T?  Like baker said, forget the XS and find yourself an XP.  My  :Twocents:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

marshallfry01

If there is no bondo in it I think it would be worth 15-18k. It needs interior work and I'm sure a lot of other details need to be fixed. Always be cautious when buying a car that has fresh paint on it.... That sure will hide a lot of ugly.  On the positive side at least it's running/driving and complete. Just go over the body with a magnet. Good luck to you! And welcome aboard  :cheers:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

skip68

Hard to say without knowing about rust.   I'd say $18k to $22k. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mopar Nut

I wouldn't go over $10,000.00 U.S. if it's not a true R/T.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

NHCharger

That car looks like a real nice Driver. As stated above it does need work if your a trophy hunter. It's hard to tell on the body where the filler is unless your an expert. They take shots outside that reflect the uneven landscape and when they put it on the lift for close up pics they don't wash the dirt off and the area is dimly lit, which may mean they're hiding something.
In my neck of the woods that car would easily fetch 20k all day long.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Vainglory, Esq.

Whatever you think it's gonna be, double it. Then double that.

Ghoste

charlie45

thanks for all the insightful feedback so far. Just a note: It is not an RT-car!

So the guy is asking 27,000 EUR for the car... Yes, exactly: A LOT OF MONEY FOR WHAT IT IS... One has to however consider that these cars sell for a premium over here in Europe. Nonetheless, I'm definitely not going to pay that amount for it...

Although it definitely needs some work, it seems like it would be a suitable platform for the project (i.e. parts) I had in mind, given that the car checks-out to be okay and that the price is adjusted... We'll see, I'll keep you posted...

JB400

$32,000 US.  Your right, that car is on the higher end of an appraisal.  But, beggars can't be choosers.  :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on September 27, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
Whatever you think it's gonna be, double it. Then double that.

:yesnod: :yesnod:  Been there, done that.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

surmanajaja

Quote from: charlie45 on September 27, 2012, 06:05:18 AM
thanks for all the insightful feedback so far. Just a note: It is not an RT-car!

So the guy is asking 27,000 EUR for the car... Yes, exactly: A LOT OF MONEY FOR WHAT IT IS... One has to however consider that these cars sell for a premium over here in Europe. Nonetheless, I'm definitely not going to pay that amount for it...

Although it definitely needs some work, it seems like it would be a suitable platform for the project (i.e. parts) I had in mind, given that the car checks-out to be okay and that the price is adjusted... We'll see, I'll keep you posted...

Way too high. I know a few much better cars for sale under 20k ih sweden and in finland, and importing to germany wont be expensive if you want to go that route.

NorwayCharger

Buy a Charger in Sweden or Norway.
Get the Body and paint done in Poland.
:Twocents:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com