News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

stock push rods

Started by lasvegas69charg, September 27, 2012, 10:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasvegas69charg

hi. Is it safe to say that I will be ok using the stock push rods, rockers and shaft on the edelbrock heads?  I have bolted it all up and ready for the engine dyno.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

Chryco Psycho

it would be worth checking the pushrod length to make sure you ahev the right preload in the lifters

lasvegas69charg

this is all new to me. How do you check preload and does the engine need to be primed before doing this. Just a little history I took a stock block and installed a edelbrock top end kit which includes heads, timing set, cam, lifters and intake. I reused the the stock rockers, shafts and rods.
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉

firefighter3931

I would recommend upgrading the pushrods to a thick wall 5/16 chrome moly piece. The stock pushrods are designed for light spring pressures and the E-Heads have 340lbs "open" pressure.  :yesnod:

Read this thread : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,93082.0.html  There is a link to the part you need on the last page.

You should be fine on preload because that is a mild cam but to check pre-load you need to get the lifter on the base circle (heel) of the cam while installing the rocker arm/shaft & pushrod. The pushrod should compress the lifter plunger a small amount (.020-.040) and if that's the case you're good to go on pushrod length  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lasvegas69charg

thanks ron.  I just ordered a set from mancini racing.