News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Radiators

Started by my73charger, August 03, 2012, 08:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Has anyone installed one of these aluminum radiators in their 73-74 big block Charger?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290648850875?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350572750690?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Wondering how good they fit and whether or not you can use a stock shroud with them??

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

AirborneSilva

I put one on mine, it looks like that first link is the one I got but I did get it with two electric fans.  I really have not been able to drive my Charger (yes it is a big block - 383) due to the stupid texas laws but it does seem to cool very well sitting in the garage with no air flow and 100 degree plus weather.

my73charger

Thanks.  Did it fit good as far as bolting right in without mods?  What year is your Charger?

AirborneSilva

No it didn't fit right in but making it work was easy.

my73charger

AirborneSilva

No, I'll try to this weekend.

thrillbilly

I put one in mine last winter.  It fits, but I had to make custom brackets for it.  I think the 73-74 has a larger radiator opening.  I had to return the first one that I had because of a leak.  I would strongly suggest taking it to a radiator shop and getting it pressure tested before you install it.  The second one I received did not leak, but it was warped about a half to 3/8, but when I tightened it down it flattened out just fine.  I am running a 160 thermostat, aluminum heads, water pump housing and pump on my 440.  I also have a/c.  I drove it for 2 hours with the a/c going full blast in 90 degree heat and it ran super cool, 170 degrees.  It isn't a super high quality radiator, but it does keep it cool, and beats paying the 5-6 hundred dollars for a be-cool.
"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown"  DBT

my73charger

Good to know.  Do you know which one you have or do you have a link?

A383Wing

I bought mine from "Engineered Products" on ebay...mine is a 2 row, but each row is 1" tubes

Bryan (actually, I bought 3 from them. all Chargers have this one now)

firefighter3931

Tim, a 2 core with 1in tubes is going to be the most efficient. That's what I would look for in an aftermarket aluminum rad.

I run an Afco "crossflow" in mine and it works great. Doesn't look stock though  ;)

Had to drill some holes and trim the mount flanges to fit but no big deal.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

Hi Ron,

Thanks for chiming in here, I currently have a 2 row aluminum crossflow radiator, but the core is only 22" wide, so I was looking at going to the 3 row 26" standard aluminum radiator.  The core rows are 3/4", but I was thinking that 3 rows would still give me better performance.   :shruggy:  My current radiator does not have any mounting flanges and I hate the way I had to mount it as a result, plus I am really considering going back to my stock manual fan and shroud for cruising.   I have also been looking pretty hard at this 4 row aluminum radiator.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251107044327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tim

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on August 05, 2012, 08:16:54 AM
Hi Ron,

Thanks for chiming in here, I currently have a 2 row aluminum crossflow radiator, but the core is only 22" wide, so I was looking at going to the 3 row 26" standard aluminum radiator.  The core rows are 3/4", but I was thinking that 3 rows would still give me better performance.   :shruggy:  My current radiator does not have any mounting flanges and I hate the way I had to mount it as a result, plus I am really considering going back to my stock manual fan and shroud for cruising.   I have also been looking pretty hard at this 4 row aluminum radiator.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251107044327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim  :wave:

Is the current setup overheating ? What type of fan are you using : pusher ? puller ? mechanical ?

Did your car come with a 26in rad originally ?

If you're looking for a stock style downflow with excellent performance check out Mancini. A guy I know has a small 22in factory looking rad in his Roadrunner (original 383 car/small rad) with a 600hp Hemi and it cools fine. He has a shroud and "fixed" stainless steel flex fan and with this setup he can sit in traffic for extended periods and not overheat.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brightyellow69rtse

i got a 2 row 1" tube aluminum radiator off ebay. the things a damn beast. i run a crappy flex fan with no shroud on my hot 440 and on the hottest days it never cracks 190. im totally happy with it and would get another one in a minute.

my73charger

Yes my current setup runs hot.  My car originally came with a 26" rad, but since the tanks on a crossflow are located on the sides I do not have room for a crossflow that is any larger than I have.  I have tried three different electric puller fans with the louvered aluminum shroud that came with the radiator and it still seems to get hot.  I have also used a manual fan but found it is best to also run an electric fan with it to help keep up with the heat.  My car usually runs 200+ and I have seen it creep up to 220 in traffic.  I have tried every thermostat from 160 - 195 and even a restrictor ring, but nothing seems to matter to much.  The electric fans seem to be best in traffic and the manual cools it down on the highway best.  I would like to keep it 200 or less obviously.  I figure a bigger radiator with a stock shroud and 7 blade clutch fan would be the next best thing to try.  I forgot to mention that I would also like to stay away from running electric fulltime due to the stress it puts on the charging system.

thrillbilly

What exhaust are you running, headers, manifolds?  I have jet hot coated hooker headers and 3 in. exhaust, that made a big difference, just getting the heat out.
"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown"  DBT

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on August 05, 2012, 01:50:13 PM
Yes my current setup runs hot.  My car originally came with a 26" rad, but since the tanks on a crossflow are located on the sides I do not have room for a crossflow that is any larger than I have.  I have tried three different electric puller fans with the louvered aluminum shroud that came with the radiator and it still seems to get hot.  I have also used a manual fan but found it is best to also run an electric fan with it to help keep up with the heat.  My car usually runs 200+ and I have seen it creep up to 220 in traffic.  I have tried every thermostat from 160 - 195 and even a restrictor ring, but nothing seems to matter to much.  The electric fans seem to be best in traffic and the manual cools it down on the highway best.  I would like to keep it 200 or less obviously.  I figure a bigger radiator with a stock shroud and 7 blade clutch fan would be the next best thing to try.  I forgot to mention that I would also like to stay away from running electric fulltime due to the stress it puts on the charging system.

Tim, are you cooling the trans with the Radiator ?

Out on the hwy you don't need any fan at all....the air hitting the front of the car should be sufficient, unless there is a problem with circulation or the sizing of the radiator.

Ron

my73charger

Hi Ron,

I have a separate tranny cooler.  The rad I had was a 2 row crossflow 22" core with 1" tubes.  I just bought a 26" 4 row aluminum rad, although it is a standard down flow, the tubes are 3/4" so I hope it does the trick.  That gives me 3" of cooling rows if i have it figured out correctly.  It advertises cooling for 800+ hp so we shall see.

my73charger

Well after ordering one of those 4 core (3/4" tubes) aftermarket radiators on eBay and having it leak like crazy, I have decided to purchase an aluminum Griffin 2 row exact replacement radiator from Summit Racing.  This will be a direct bolt in downflow 26" core with 2 rows of 1 1/4" tubes.  They say a stock shroud will work with this one as well.  I had to pay almost $600, but I think it will be well worth it.  Should be here next week.   :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: my73charger on September 20, 2012, 12:09:12 PM
Well after ordering one of those 4 core (3/4" tubes) aftermarket radiators on eBay and having it leak like crazy, I have decided to purchase an aluminum Griffin 2 row exact replacement radiator from Summit Racing.  This will be a direct bolt in downflow 26" core with 2 rows of 1 1/4" tubes.  They say a stock shroud will work with this one as well.  I had to pay almost $600, but I think it will be well worth it.  Should be here next week.   :2thumbs:

That's what I have. Love it.  :yesnod:   Well worth the extra $$$ for a quality product, IMHO.
Yes, a stock shroud will bolt up to it, you just have to mark the holes & drill. I did not have clearance to mount a clutch fan (2nd gen), so I went with a dual-fan from Flex-a-Lite. It's a variable speed thermostatic unit as well.
Car runs nice & cool, never an overheating problem. Even in the scorching 104+ heat at Carlisle this year & driving with the A/C on the car stayed cool.
:cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

my73charger

Good to know!  Thanks!    :cheers:

Tim

rnjump

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 03, 2012, 11:52:29 PM
Tim, a 2 core with 1in tubes is going to be the most efficient. That's what I would look for in an aftermarket aluminum rad.

I run an Afco "crossflow" in mine and it works great. Doesn't look stock though  ;)

Had to drill some holes and trim the mount flanges to fit but no big deal.

Ron
I put one of these in my big block dart. Its a direct fit and never had a cooling problem with electric fans.

my73charger

Just one more update for those that may be interested.  I think my overheating issues are a thing of the past with this Griffin radiator.  Here is a  link to the radiator I bought.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-5-569GB-FXX  The car is running at about 190-195 degrees in stop and go traffic with a manual fan.  I haven't even added a shroud yet although I still plan to.  I am loving this!   :cheers:

bill440rt

:2thumbs:

The Griffin is a NICE unit.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce