News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

572 HEMI going in my new build

Started by Daytona Guy, September 25, 2012, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

either I wanted to say, "bejesus thats a huge motor'

6pkrtse

When I put my street Hemi in my 70 Charger. I used the Schumacher motor mount kit & everything else was from the car when it had the 440 in it. The K-Frame, brake booser, power steering gear box, throttle cable. I ran Hooker Super Comp headers & only had to ding the #1 tube in one spot to clear the power sterring line fitting. Pretty much a bolt in deal. Engine did not sit to high to me. I used the dual inline street Hemi Intake with newer style Carter 750's (same as Edelbrocks) with a fiberglass repop oval aircleaner & a 3" K&N air filter. All cleared under the stock hood.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Troy

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 28, 2012, 12:41:21 AM
Here is a question I have. I want to go to Manual steering and get rid of power. Where and how can I do this? Will my steering column work? 

Dane
As mentioned, there is an adapter to fit the manual box to a PS column. Firm Feel makes one:
http://www.firmfeel.com/column_adapt_b.html

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Troy on September 28, 2012, 10:10:40 AM
Here is a question I have. I want to go to Manual steering and get rid of power. Where and how can I do this? Will my steering column work? 

Dane
As mentioned, there is an adapter to fit the manual box to a PS column. Firm Feel makes one:

Troy

Yes, I saw that. I believe they make it out of gold :)

Dane

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 28, 2012, 11:48:28 AM
Quote from: Troy on September 28, 2012, 10:10:40 AM

Dane

Troy

Yes, I saw that. I believe they make it out of gold :)

Dane
http://www.steerandgear.com/Chrysler_Catalog.html#TXTOBJ7DB1219F302938E1
125.00 seems to be the going rate  Steer & Gear also has them

http://www.steerandgear.com/Chrysler_Catalog.html#TXTOBJ7DB1219F302938E1
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

200MPH

wow 572  :cheers:
ive heard different rumblings out about INDY customer service
Charger

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 200MPH on September 28, 2012, 02:35:10 PM

They are not the most friendly people. I do seem like a hassle to them. But I have heard from others that their HEMI's work and live up to the hype, unlike some of MP's 2x4. These are all tuned before you get them.

By the way, this is a solid lifter roller cam and rockers. I asked them for hydraulic lifters, should I have? Anyone?

Dane

sound5262

dane, be sure to ask dick at firm feel about the ?'s you have about the mounting of the engine i'm sure he can help you out. he has dave marcus' #30 daytona that has the 426 in it.

cdr

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 28, 2012, 02:56:08 PM
Quote from: 200MPH on September 28, 2012, 02:35:10 PM

They are not the most friendly people. I do seem like a hassle to them. But I have heard from others that their HEMI's work and live up to the hype, unlike some of MP's 2x4. These are all tuned before you get them.

By the way, this is a solid lifter roller cam and rockers. I asked them for hydraulic lifters, should I have? Anyone?

Dane
yes on the hydraulic lifters
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

jb666

I went the solid mount route and love every second the car's running...

The only other thing I could suggest is a real good set of seat belts.. you'll need'm.  :cheers:

Wango Mango

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 26, 2012, 12:58:15 AM
Thanks guys, any advice from those who installed a HEMI in a Charger?

Dane
[/quote
Valve cover clearance will be tight, but your stock covers will have a little more clearance room than
my bro's Stage 5 covers.  (They don't call it the Elephant for nothing!)  As far as headers go, the TTI's fit the best.
We installed the 5210 Hookers, but they were a nightmare.  Are you using a Hemi K frame?  What mounts are
you using?   Your Charger looks beautiful in  that blue.  Can't wait to see pics.

JB400

I dig the not Hemi orange Hemi air cleaner. :2thumbs:  Good color combo

Daytona Guy

Can we get more pics of that blue HEMI - like some side shots - who's is that?

Dane

Charger-Bodie

Same, I don't know if you've ordered your hemi yet, but when I did mine I takes to all of them and TIM Banning at FHO was the most inforitive and has a solid rep. To top it off he was less money than arruzza and indy. I love my FHO Hemi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

200MPH

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 29, 2012, 09:28:22 AM
Same, I don't know if you've ordered your hemi yet, but when I did mine I takes to all of them and TIM Banning at FHO was the most inforitive and has a solid rep. To top it off he was less money than arruzza and indy. I love my FHO Hemi.

and it runs like a top!
Charger

Ghoste

He's one that I have heard nothing but praise for.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on September 29, 2012, 01:51:45 PM
He's one that I have heard nothing but praise for.

With good reason, I believe.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

472 R/T SE

Another vote for Tim.

I made the mistake of not researching enough about the Hemis' when I bought mine.  I've been lucky, I ran the Part # (serial) on mine & there were a batch of motors with my # included that were a good batch.  Pretty bad when Mopar's tech line will tell you certain Part # batches were junk from the start.

Even after all that Tim answered every dumb (I'm sure he gets asked the same question 5 times a day) question I had with a great attitude.  He also informed me I could have bought the same motor from him for the same price.  :rotz:

I did buy my Stage V intake, carbs, linkage & air cleaner from him.

Dane, do you have a spare Bendix booster laying around.  I'd love to see if one would fit the bracketry of the booster set up you bought.  Initially I had planned on going the Bendix route but the guy who was suppose to make my set hadn't even started on it, 4 months of time.  So I went your route.  Trust me, you need to paint everything all together so that generic booster doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I now have 2 Bendix boosters'.  I'd like to change mine out but don't want to spend over $1k for the bracketry.  Maybe if it was build for a Hemi booster I'd dish out the $.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger-Bodie

FHO For Hemis Only. An awesome engine shop in Canada that specializes in gen 2 Hemi engines.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Wango Mango on September 28, 2012, 07:18:15 PM
Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 26, 2012, 12:58:15 AM
Thanks guys, any advice from those who installed a HEMI in a Charger?

Dane
[/quote
Valve cover clearance will be tight, but your stock covers will have a little more clearance room than
my bro's Stage 5 covers.  (They don't call it the Elephant for nothing!)  As far as headers go, the TTI's fit the best.
We installed the 5210 Hookers, but they were a nightmare.  Are you using a Hemi K frame?  What mounts are
you using?   Your Charger looks beautiful in  that blue.  Can't wait to see pics.

I'm going with Schumacher mounts. From the picture I can't see how they are any higher than stock. They are supposed to fit right to my K-frame.

Anyone recomend solid lifters with roller rockers and roller cam?

1hotdaytona - what is your cam size? You can see the one I'm getting in the pic - is the one I'm getting too big?

Daytona Guy

Side bar :)

I need some charger trim. That little corner piece, and the stainless trim for the rear windows and doors. Any ideas?

Dane

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RednblackAttack72

1972 charger 440

Indygenerallee

I agree if I were to buy a Hemi it would be from FHO and steer clear of Indy, way too high priced for what you get from them. Looking great Dane!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.