News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

572 HEMI going in my new build

Started by Daytona Guy, September 25, 2012, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I finally ordered my 572 HEMI - Mine will have the stock wrinkle valve covers and be all HEMI Orange -

Any advice on fitting this thing in my Daytona - I'm all ears.

Dane

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Daytona Guy

Ghoste

My Charger is turning green with envy right now.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

DadsCharger00

I may have just had an accident......  :-\.... Wow

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Ghoste

Brutalowner

I guess that's how it all starts.... You start looking around for valve covers, and the next thing you know..... :drool5:
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Patronus

Why not run the new McLeod trans with a Mark Williams rear-end?  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Daytona Guy

Thanks guys, any advice from those who installed a HEMI in a Charger?

Dane

JB400

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 25, 2012, 06:27:41 PM
I finally ordered my 572 HEMI - Mine will have the stock wrinkle valve covers and be all HEMI Orange -

Any advice on fitting this thing in my Daytona - I'm all ears.

Dane

Let's prefit it in my car first.  Gotta make sure its going to fit. :icon_smile_big:  Your going to have so much fun with that, it hurts. :bow: :bow:

Ghoste

Dane, the engine bay is empty now correct?  That is, no brake booster or master cylinder and such in the way?

PocketThunder

Is this your yellow daytona that you have repainted blue or a new one?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

The problem with the schumaker mounts is that they set the engine too high from what I'm told. I used a repro  HEMI k crime mega parts . Everything bolted together perfectly like its supposed to.

www.megapartsusa.com
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

If you plan to rack up a lot of miles you might want to consider talking to Indy regarding camshaft options. Solid rollers make excellent power but there is a lot of required maintenance. Roller lifters, valvesprings and bronze gears all have a 3000-4000 mile lifespan.  :yesnod:

Not sure what rockers Indy uses on these builds but if they're anything like their ICH wedge rockers don't expect them to last long at roller cam spring pressures either.  :P

The 4.5 stroke is awesome....power right off idle to redline. You'll never be able to hook it on the street....expect lots of tire smoke if you stab it past 1/2 throttle from a dead stop.  :2thumbs: 

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Ghoste on September 26, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
Dane, the engine bay is empty now correct?  That is, no brake booster or master cylinder and such in the way?

Correct

Have a HEMI booster and coming $222.00
Just picked up a new Master Cyl for, get this, $20.00

Here is a question I have. I want to go to Manual steering and get rid of power. Where and how can I do this? Will my steering column work? 

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 26, 2012, 07:56:08 AM
The problem with the schumaker mounts is that they set the engine too high from what I'm told. I used a repro  HEMI k crime mega parts . Everything bolted together perfectly like its supposed to.

www.megapartsusa.com
I heard that too. I do have them ordered though. It can't raise the engine too much or the engine would hit the tranny fire wall on top. From their website they claim it sits the same. I also heard it raises it a little - and so will my "Mod Man" intake, but I believe I will make it up in the air cleaner I will modify. I'm not real fond of the chrome dome, although I will use an aftermarket one that I will modify to fit this Mod Man intake. Indy claims placing the quads further apart is an advantage in tuning these quads.

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2012, 02:10:44 PM
If you plan to rack up a lot of miles you might want to consider talking to Indy regarding camshaft options. Solid rollers make excellent power but there is a lot of required maintenance. Roller lifters, valvesprings and bronze gears all have a 3000-4000 mile lifespan.  :yesnod:

Not sure what rockers Indy uses on these builds but if they're anything like their ICH wedge rockers don't expect them to last long at roller cam spring pressures either.  :P

The 4.5 stroke is awesome....power right off idle to redline. You'll never be able to hook it on the street....expect lots of tire smoke if you stab it past 1/2 throttle from a dead stop.  :2thumbs:  

Ron
I'm hoping that they are not "solid", I was assuming they are hydraulic lifters. They are using a roller cam and roller rockers. I will not be winding this thing up. I will talk to them. I don't wont it to hook up that much - too much stress on the car with the rear window plug.

Dane

472 R/T SE

A Hemi booster for $222.?  Wow, that's incredibly cheap.  Is it an original Bendix?

When I put mine in, the bracketry alone was over $1k.  I know the guy who builds the reproduction stuff.  He's actually down your way.  His bracketry is for the standard Bendix though IIRC, as you prolly know the Hemi Bendix has a different bolt pattern.

My only advice would be to install the motor from the bottom, like the factory.  If you go that route, you'll have to pull a valve cover.  With those bigger heads you might need to pull both?  Going that route you'll also be able drop the K frame a few inches if needed for hood clearance.

Tom Benson just bought a '68 Satellite vert that someone paid Steve Miles a load of $$ to restore.  It had Indy heads & he couldn't close the hood.  He ended up using a Super Stock hood. 

As for the steering.  You can always contact Firm Feel.  They're up here in Vancouver, Wa.

As for the motor installation.  If you didn't mind farming out some work I'd contact Tom Benson.  He's done a bunch over the years.  He's of the mindset now of not pulling/installing motors from the top.  Of course he has the tools, (overhead lift, dolly set up)

Daytona Guy

Have a HEMI booster and coming $222.00
Just picked up a new Master Cyl for, get this, $20.00

A Hemi booster for $222.?  Wow, that's incredibly cheap.  Is it an original Bendix?****

*****When I put mine in, the bracketry alone was over $1k.  I know the guy who builds the reproduction stuff.  He's actually down your way.  His bracketry is for the standard Bendix though IIRC, as you prolly know the Hemi Bendix has a different bolt pattern.*****

I have seen this used in a B - Body - looks good, and I might go black.

**********My only advice would be to install the motor from the bottom, like the factory.  If you go that route, you'll have to pull a valve cover.  With those bigger heads you might need to pull both?  Going that route you'll also be able drop the K frame a few inches if needed for hood clearance. ******

Not all Indy heads are the same. They make a set that breath better. Mine are the same as MP in height. I like the idea of lowering the K frame if I have a problem. That may cause some suspension geometry problems for the uppers????

Tom Benson just bought a '68 Satellite vert that someone paid Steve Miles a load of $$ to restore.  It had Indy heads & he couldn't close the hood.  He ended up using a Super Stock hood. 

As for the steering.  You can always contact Firm Feel.  They're up here in Vancouver, Wa.

As for the motor installation.  If you didn't mind farming out some work I'd contact Tom Benson.  He's done a bunch over the years.  He's of the mindset now of not pulling/installing motors from the top.  Of course he has the tools, (overhead lift, dolly set up)

Thanks man,

Dane

Ghoste

The steering column for power steering is shorter than manual, I believe there is an adapter you can get.