News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD GETS Viper 6 speed T-56 installed into a B body anyone done it ??

Started by moparstuart, September 25, 2012, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on January 11, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
well chris twisted my arm and got me to order a new hurst shifter

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Looks like it's going to be a good fit. ;)

moparstuart

Quote from: thedodgeboys on January 13, 2013, 02:06:44 AM
I would try bolting the handal to the other side of the shifter I think it would be a little more comfortable especially in 5 & 6 gears.
it feels fine  ? and its grooved and slotted on that side so the fit and mesh so the handle wont slide around  ???
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dino

Stuart, regardless of the change in the tunnel, does the console have to move towards the rear of the car because of shifter location?  Looking at the pictures it seems you could get the console closer to its stock position if you trim the underside of the console to move it more forward.  It may not go down a lot if any but forward would be nice.  The console carpet will cover it up anyway.  If you have an old, cracked, spare console I think it's worth a try.

I am anxiously awaiting the test drive results!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparstuart

Quote from: Dino on January 13, 2013, 08:37:27 AM
Stuart, regardless of the change in the tunnel, does the console have to move towards the rear of the car because of shifter location?  Looking at the pictures it seems you could get the console closer to its stock position if you trim the underside of the console to move it more forward.  It may not go down a lot if any but forward would be nice.  The console carpet will cover it up anyway.  If you have an old, cracked, spare console I think it's worth a try.

its strictly shifter location , it wont go forward because the shifter plate has to center around the shifter

Dino

Quote from: moparstuart on January 13, 2013, 08:41:07 AM

its strictly shifter location , it wont go forward because the shifter plate has to center around the shifter

That's very good to know.  If I decide to drop one of those in my car then I know where the console will end up.   :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

what about a custom top plate ?

As I told you, I don't have the stomach to make that LOL. Just an amateur opinion, the crossmember chopping job really concerns me, not really the rest.

what about the clearence when engine is moving around while working ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 13, 2013, 09:22:32 AM
Stuart, regardless of the change in the tunnel, does the console have to move towards the rear of the car because of shifter location?  Looking at the pictures it seems you could get the console closer to its stock position if you trim the underside of the console to move it more forward.  It may not go down a lot if any but forward would be nice.  The console carpet will cover it up anyway.  If you have an old, cracked, spare console I think it's worth a try.

what about a custom top plate ?

As I told you, I don't have the stomach to make that LOL. Just an amateur opinion, the crossmember chopping job really concerns me, not really the rest.

what about the clearence when engine is moving around while working ?
my car is just a clone anyway so i was just super happy to be able to get my console back in the car  and make it look close to stock
 The 4 inches further back in this car really doesnt look that off to me anyways .
  We made sure there is plenty of clearence for the motor to move around , thats what took so long with the test fitting and in and out with the tranny .
We took out just enough tunnel to make sure we could get to all the tranny and bell housing bolt plus movement room for the engine and transmission .

This also made sure the tunnel wasnt huge so i could use my console in some way or another .   Actually having the shifter further back is more confortible in my opnion and with the pistol grip make sure i dont bang my knuckels on the dash .

Dino

Stuart do you have a parts breakdown list by any chance?  Nevermind, forgot you started your thread with that.

Spoke to the wife about this mod, she has a T-56 in her Trans Am and she said that if I stick one of those in the Charger she will be roasting the tires all day long.  I think that means we're sticking a T-56 in the Charger.   :icon_smile_big:

It won't be done this year and maybe not even next, we'll probably do the interior before anything else but in the spirit of planning ahead it would be great to know exactly what is needed.

moparstuart

Quote from: Dino on January 21, 2013, 12:29:26 PM
Stuart do you have a parts breakdown list by any chance?  Nevermind, forgot you started your thread with that.

Spoke to the wife about this mod, she has a T-56 in her Trans Am and she said that if I stick one of those in the Charger she will be roasting the tires all day long.  I think that means we're sticking a T-56 in the Charger.   :icon_smile_big:

It won't be done this year and maybe not even next, we'll probably do the interior before anything else but in the spirit of planning ahead it would be great to know exactly what is needed.

that was not my parts list at the beginning once all is said and done  I will make my own parts list for everyone
 Over two weeks later I'm still waiting on a drive shaft  ( NOT SUPER HAPPY WITH AMERICAN POWER TRAIN )   :Twocents:l

Dino

Quote from: moparstuart on January 21, 2013, 01:31:42 PM
Stuart do you have a parts breakdown list by any chance?  Nevermind, forgot you started your thread with that.

that was not my parts list at the beginning once all is said and done  I will make my own parts list for everyone
 Over two weeks later I'm still waiting on a drive shaft  ( NOT SUPER HAPPY WITH AMERICAN POWER TRAIN )   :Twocents:l

Aw that sucks.  I hope you get it soon. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Dino on January 21, 2013, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on January 21, 2013, 01:31:42 PM

Aw that sucks.  I hope you get it soon. 
I'm not really in a hurry cinda burnt on the project , taking a breather from it to get remotivated . Other wise i would be raising hell because they promise like 3 days once i called them with measurements .   Been jacking with the Rat Rod when warm enought

Supercharged Riot

Thanks. I hope you come up with a revised check list of parts you used for the conversion.
It will help a lot.
Ive been keeping an eye on this thread.
Thanks again Stuart  :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on January 21, 2013, 04:48:00 PM
Thanks. I hope you come up with a revised check list of parts you used for the conversion.
It will help a lot.
Ive been keeping an eye on this thread.
Thanks again Stuart  :cheers:
that was an A body build so mine will vary alittle bit but for the most part that was all great infomation
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

moparstuart

Drive line Shop -- 417-863-1830 Springfield missouri   these guys may be better option for the drive shaft same price as American Power trains  but man it sucks when they tell you 3-4 days turn around and 2 1/2 weeks later still no drive shaft

moparstuart

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:    i bought a tranny jack last night hope to swap throw out bearings

moparstuart

moparstuart

JB400

It's too short.  You'll have to order another one. :icon_smile_blackeye: Looks pretty though. :2thumbs: ;)

Dino

It won't be done anytime soon but the T-56 is on the list for the Charger!   :2thumbs:

thedodgeboys

Quote from: moparstuart on February 07, 2013, 07:05:31 AM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:    i bought a tranny jack last night hope to swap throw out bearings

hey I would have loaned you mine  :D

moparstuart

Quote from: thedodgeboys on February 07, 2013, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on February 07, 2013, 07:05:31 AM

hey I would have loaned you mine  :D
your is broken i think i'll be givining you this one    :icon_smile_big:

ACUDANUT

My feelings are hurt. I was not invented for the hack. I live in Gardner too.  ::)

Supercharged Riot

I took the proactive approach and decided to start a re-organized parts list.

How's it look?
I havent really finished it yet because I really dont know where to source all the parts for the swap:

:scratchchin:

Dino

I've seen a few T-56's locally for $900 but I think $1500 is a good starting point, seems to be the median price.  That bellhousing is pretty pricey as well!  Still, I think it's more than worth it, I can't wait to have one of those behind the 440.

moparstuart

Quote from: Dino on February 10, 2013, 08:44:08 AM
I've seen a few T-56's locally for $900 but I think $1500 is a good starting point, seems to be the median price.  That bellhousing is pretty pricey as well!  Still, I think it's more than worth it, I can't wait to have one of those behind the 440.
becarefull the GM t-56  and ford T-56 are not as stout internels and with a 440 not sure how well they hold up
  make sure you get a Viper one and they do cost more .  I got super lucky finding mine for 800.00    also if you do go with the Gm T-56 it has a bolt on rear yoke instead of a slip yoke on the rear of the tranny

:Twocents: