News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing engine with trans in the car?

Started by NS 68 R/T, September 24, 2012, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS 68 R/T

Anyone have advice on installing a 440 with the trans (727) already in the car?

JB400

Have some friends that know what they're doing.  Stock up on beverages of choice. Plenty of junk food you'll regret eating later.  Headache medicine for somebody. :icon_smile_big:

Actually, it's not that big of hassle really. Especially if you had a big block in there already. Getting your dowel pins lined up is always fun.  Hooking up your torque converter bolts can be a chore as well.  I do recommend that you get a least one person to run the cherry picker, one under the car, and someone to guide it in the hole.

NS 68 R/T

Thanks, I just can't seem to get the trans and the engine mounts lined up at the same time.  :brickwall:

JB400

Quote from: NS 68 R/T on September 24, 2012, 09:15:23 PM
Thanks, I just can't seem to get the trans and the engine mounts lined up at the same time.  :brickwall:
Did you loosen up the tranny mount bolts?  It never hurts to have some more wiggle room.

Plumcrazy

Put the engine in without the motor mounts attached.  Get a couple transmission bolts in then raise the engine and put the motor mounts in.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Ghoste

NS 68 R/T

Quote from: Plumcrazy on September 25, 2012, 05:44:01 AM

Put the engine in without the motor mounts attached.  Get a couple transmission bolts in then raise the engine and put the motor mounts in.

Thanks, I'll try that. I installed this engine in the same car a few years ago (don't ask), but I don't remember having such a hard time with it. On a side note, my freshly ceramic coated TTI headers have a couple of nice scratches now.  :o

Ghoste

It seems like it never goes off perfectly doesn't it?

ACUDANUT

I'd pull the transmission and then attach them together outside of the car.  Then, put it all in at one time. Works like a charm. (2 people needed also)  :Twocents:

71green go

just did it in my 71......I used one of those engine levelers and it made it a breeze......took all of 20 mins from lifting it to bolting tranny up...make sure headers if you are using them are laid in place.......