News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buffer/Polisher TIME!!!

Started by sanders7981, September 24, 2012, 12:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanders7981

I finally gathered some money up and have some free time where I can get to this... So my question is; Does anyone have experience and pros/cons about the Porter Cable DA Polisher?  Lowes has them for  a decent price and am thinking about picking one up.

Ghoste

Never heard of them but like a lot of tools you get what you pay for.  What amperage is the motor, what rpm does it operate at, what is the warranty?

Dino

Porter cable is a pretty decent brand.  Which model are you looking at?  I bought the big HF polisher when it was on sale, paid less than $20 and it works absolutely fine.  Unless you plan on polishing cars for a living, don't go too nuts on these.  If it spins and doesn't smoke you've got a good one.

Do make sure you have variable speed though.  You need to be able to slow these things down.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

I finish buff using some of Adam's (Car Care products) and they love the Porter Cable for in-house use. I bought the new black and yellow one though. (it goes down to 600 RPM, has a soft-start motor, and a rubber boot over the front housing) I'm pretty close to owning every DeWalt tool ever made.  :icon_smile_big:

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Silver R/T

If you're on budget get one form Harbor Freight. At work I use DeWalt
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

A DA-type polisher is good for light polishing, waxing, etc.
If you're doing any kind of color sanding you'll need a regular rotary buffer.

I have a Porter Cable random orbital polisher (sold/renamed under Griot's Garage). LOVE it. Works great with foam pads.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sanders7981

I need one that will cut and buff out the wet sanding I did, 800-1500 grit, a couple months ago.  I dont know the model number, didnt think to look at it last week.  It has varible speed settings and comes with a counterweight and six-inch pad.

I thought about getting the HF polisher....  I may result to it to save some cash.

bill440rt

You'll need a rotary buffer for that. A random is great for polishing & upkeep.

Try to get one with a variable speed. DeWalt makes one I'm sure, I have a Snap-On. Crapsman also has one, Black & Decker based IIRC.
If you've never used one before, PRACTICE first on another vehicle. It's easy to screw up a nice paintjob with one of these if you've never done it before.

Also, just another tip. Finish it off with a grit finer than 1500. Go to 2000 or 3000.  :yesnod:
It will cut your buffing time way down. You'll spend less time trying to remove sand scratches, rather than polishing & bringing back the gloss.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

I have a Dewalt variable I bought over 10 years ago and I have used the crap out of it and it's still ticking!! I will say this 3M compounds are ridiculous $$$!!!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

The 3M stuff sure does work though.

Indygenerallee

Patronus

Wait till you buy a box of trizac.  :eek2:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Indygenerallee

Patronus

Quote from: Ghoste on September 25, 2012, 11:18:42 AM
The 3M stuff sure does work though.

Yes, it does, I agree.. waiting to try a new product from Adam's though. Its a compound designed to break down as you use it getting finer and finer the more you buff.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jaak

I bought one of these, and was pretty impressed with it. I bought the kit that included a wool pad and 3 foam (red, blue and black). It isn't a DeWalt, but for the money it was pretty good and did the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Shop-POLISHER-BUFFER-w-3-Foam-POLISH-PADS-TOOL-BAG-Car-Detail-Polishing-/200823938110?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec20a1c3e&vxp=mtr

Jason

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: jaak on September 28, 2012, 11:13:26 PM
I bought one of these, and was pretty impressed with it. I bought the kit that included a wool pad and 3 foam (red, blue and black). It isn't a DeWalt, but for the money it was pretty good and did the job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Shop-POLISHER-BUFFER-w-3-Foam-POLISH-PADS-TOOL-BAG-Car-Detail-Polishing-/200823938110?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec20a1c3e&vxp=mtr

Jason

That's a nice kit. It's recommended to use wool pads for cutting and foam for final polishing.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lord Warlock

a six inch rotary buffer is what you really want to get the initial sanding scratches out, I use a variable speed Makita that i've owned for years and it has proven sturdy and dependable, it varies the speed from 600 to 3500 rpm, i use it at 600 to put the polish on, and 1000-1500 to get it off in most cases after wetsanding.

The Porter Cable is a well respected unit for final polish and wax duties, but it would be unwieldy with a 6 or 8 inch wool pad.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.