News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 oil pump leak

Started by Chippa, September 20, 2012, 08:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippa

Ok so i have read thru some of the threads concerning this problem and trying to find a definitive answer on R&R oil pumps on these motors.

At first i thought it was leaking from one of the bolt holes but it has oil above the bolt hole line so it possibly is coming from a gasket but i really need to look closer to determine this.From what i have read it can be changed out in place with some effort...but i really want to know if it is simply a matter of undoing the bolts and sliding it out??

Is there anything else that i need to be aware of like lining up drives/pickup etc???? I hate oil leaks,its not bad but i want to fix it asap...If any one could give me a point form/step by step i would really appreciate the advice  :2thumbs:

Not sure if the current pump is a stock unit or not, only numbers i can see is a 43-74 or something to that effect and a little tag on the bolt that has a 41 stamped on it..

Also happy to say that i took it over the pits today and had my vehicle registration accepted so i'm one very happy boy after 1 1/2 yrs of resto work i can finally take her out !!!

Cheers Chippa  :cheers: :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

they are easy to swap in the car , 4 3/8 bolts tap it free , clean off the gasket & slide a new pump & gasket back on , make sure you lube the o ring & twist the pump as it goes in to line up the drive

Chippa

Thankyou for the reply,

So would it be worth noting the position of the rotor in the distributor so it aligns back up when i put the pump back into place or is there no way this can be disturbed due to the distributor gear meshing  with the cam gear???

Just trying to cover my bases so i dont make a mistake :2thumbs: i'm quite confident to work on my engine/car just wanted a bit of guidence....will get some new gaskets and o ring as well

Chryco Psycho

the drive cannot move being meshed with the cam & held down by the dist so no worries