News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repost - power steering leak on 68

Started by Bullitt68, September 23, 2012, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullitt68

Has anyone ever bought a power steering pump seal kit from Autozone to fix the leak yourself?  Which one would be for a 68?  I believe my pump is the federal style from looking at old posts.  Any help would be appreciated.  The leak seems to be coming from the back side of the pulley and not the reservoir itself.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1968-Dodge-Charger/Power-Steering-Pump-Seal-Kit/_/N-ir8evZ8oyus?filterByKeyWord=power+steering+pump&fromString=search

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1968-Dodge-Charger/Power-Steering-Pump-Kit/_/N-ir8evZ8oxly?filterByKeyWord=power+steering+pump&fromString=search

Thanks!!
Remember Bullitt?

Cooter

Joe, my experience has been, once you get into the pump/reservior trying to repair a leak, all you really end up doing is creating more leaks. The seal area around the pump to case sin't the greatest. I prefer to buy the pump with reservior that way if it leaks, you simply keep going back until you get one that doesn't leak. Most times, the Federal style pumps leak even with the best rebuilders. only one I've seen NOT leak and have had very good luck with would be the "Saginaw" style pumps. They tend to be a little better.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bullitt68

Thank you for your input.  Autozone doesn't carry a new power steering pump anymore for 68 chargers, just the rebuild kit.

If you don't mind, where did you order an entire new pump/reservoir from?

Thanks so much.

Dean
Remember Bullitt?

Dodgerdallas

Just got my Federal Pump back from a rebuilder here in dallas and its working great,91.00+ shipping for you.Prior Rebuilders 1-800-444-4821
This is gonna be cheap and easy......