News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's better than ONE 1973 Charger?

Started by XP29H9, September 23, 2012, 09:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XP29H9

That's right... TWO 1973 Chargers  :icon_smile_big:

Got it from Kansas City, Missouri.

Looks like they used it for drag racing.  It's got deep lip Cragers on the back and skinnys on the front.  They blew the original engine and now it has a 400.  They were in the process of fixing it I guess, as the driveshaft is in the trunk, along with the carb and headers.  Tips of the spark plugs are broke off, so they obviously never got that far.

Been parked in a guys lot with another 75 cars in his "collection" for 25 years. 

1974dodgecharger

thats some work there good luck with them  :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

They planned on going swimming with the black SE!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

XP29H9

Thanks!  Yeah, they must have been going snorkeling for sure!  The scoop looks like an upside down washpan to me!  Never seen one like that before haha.

Here's a pic of it before I sprayed it off on the way home...

Indygenerallee

I have a excellent set of left and right grilles for it if you need them. PM me if your interested.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JB400

Good find. At least the body's straight.   :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Are you bringing it back to life as it left the factory or as it was back in the day?

moparstuart

if you were in town you should have called i would have come helped you   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

seaweed

Stupid question! But what is that thing on the hood? Not the snorkel, but that Mercedes looking thing in the front? Being a 2gen guy and all i never come across the third gen Charger's. and the car i do see At shows and powermeets don't have it. is it stock or is it bogus?

JB400

If your talking about the bumper guards, they're stock unfortunately.  :eek2: Take them off if you want bonus points.  If your talking about the hood ornament, they're stock. Nothing wrong with them.  Except for the fact some idiot comes along and breaks them off. :flame:  It was just one of those items to add a little class to the car.  Unusual and hard times for the car industry for sure.

seaweed

yeah the hood ornament. OK, never seen that before but i can See how it would bring some extra class to it. But the two Small shark-fin on the Front fender? what are those?
Ive never payed any attention to the 3gen, But its starting to grow on me. I have a -68 but one day i thing that either a -71, -72 -73 would be cool to own.

Ghoste

The two small shark fins are turn signal indicators.

JB400

You could get fender mounted turn signals on almost every Mopar back then. Only exceptions that  I know of is the 68-70 chargers and 70 Plymouth models with the bulge hood.

seaweed

Aha!!! Thanks for the info.

XP29H9 sorry for stealing your thread like that. Your car looks killer except for the VHS-player on the hood. Hope to see some more pics...

Ghoste

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 24, 2012, 04:18:32 PM
Hey, I like the big old retro snorkel.
I think you ought to keep it. Nothing wrong with going retro.  Put some Torq Thrusts on the front, steelies on the rear.  Or just polish up the S/S 's that's on it now.  Not every car needs to be "updated"

XP29H9

Hey guys, no problem!  Glad to see people talking about the ole 3rd gens.  The hood ornament was definitely a "classy" addition to the car back then.  I've got a Lincoln Town Car  :coolgleamA: that has a hood ornament.. kinda have grown fond of them.  At first I thought I'd take it off for sure, but the more I think about it, I believe I may just leave it.  It says "SE" in the middle of it with this Charger being an SE.  And it also has the Brougham door panels as well. 

I do plan on taking off the snorkel/vhs player.  I can't help it, it's just not something that appeals to me haha.  I'm thinking of leaving the hole in the hood though and maybe putting a high rise intake with a Mr. Gasket Street Scoop coming through the hood.  Or maybe just a regular polished aluminum intake scoop.   Not sure yet, but I have always taken an interest in the throttle plates on those street scoops. :2thumbs:

Thumbs up on the turn signal indicators too.  I like the look of them.  From what I can tell off the Fender Tag, this was a pretty well optioned car.  Not two-tag worthy... but still A/C, AM Radio, Console/Buckets, 400cu.i., pinstripe, vinyl top.  I was surprised at the amount of trim that's on the outside of the car.. and it's not in too bad of shape either! 

seaweed

Quote from: Ghoste on September 24, 2012, 04:18:32 PM
Hey, I like the big old retro snorkel.

Sorry! didn't meant to offend anyone... The scoop is nice in certain constellation. :)

Ghoste

I wouldn't go so far as to say I was offended. :lol:

Scaregrabber

It looks like the body is pretty decent on it? Original Black SE is a pretty cool car, original big block?

Sheldon

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

XP29H9

:lol: haha maybe i'll save the snorkel for a future project.  Or if anyone feels that they MUST have it, when it's taken off, I might work you a better than great deal on it haha!

Scaregrabber:  the car is an original big block car, although, the motor that's in it is not the "original" block.  It is a 400, but I think it's from a 74.  The headers are in the trunk and they have 74 Chs 400 written on them in yellow.  I will post many more pics of all this, by the way, when I get back over to the car one afternoon this week.

TheGhost:  HAHA!  I was waiting on someone to say something like that!  Honestly, I was almost thinking it myself haha.. or more like a restored 69 Charger, triple black, numbers matching with a 383.  Funny, I think I used to have one of those  :scratchchin: (unrestored, of course).

F8-4life

Should've kept the factory black '69. 73's are cool too I guess...