News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Drum internal measurement

Started by Darkman, September 16, 2012, 08:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

I have a dilemma.

One of my rear drums has 2 grooves ground into the drum (caused from the brake shoe rivets and the shoes not being replaced). I have only one option of repair and this is to machine the drum down. Only problem is the maximum diameter or minimum thickness of the drums. I need to know the tolerances to see if I can machine the drum down that far.

Is this something I can find in the FSM?
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

A383Wing

it will say max diameter on the drum...if you got 2 grooves like a rail road track...it's probably not turnable

Bryan

BrianShaughnessy

It's usually stamped into the outside face of the drum.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Darkman

Yes I am aware of that, but I can't read them and that is the issue
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Is that because the dimensions are imperial ? :lol:

What about the other drum, is that one legible?  Elko probably has new and second hand drums off the shelf, but I hate dealing with Elko.

Fred

Quote from: 440 on September 17, 2012, 06:54:33 PM
Is that because the dimensions are imperial ? :lol:

What about the other drum, is that one legible?  Elko probably has new and second hand drums off the shelf, but I hate dealing with Elko.

Sometimes you have no choice. When there's only Elko..........Elko will have to do!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Dino

Quote from: Darkman on September 16, 2012, 08:52:23 PM
I have a dilemma.

One of my rear drums has 2 grooves ground into the drum (caused from the brake shoe rivets and the shoes not being replaced). I have only one option of repair and this is to machine the drum down. Only problem is the maximum diameter or minimum thickness of the drums. I need to know the tolerances to see if I can machine the drum down that far.

Is this something I can find in the FSM?

Weld the grooves shut, then machine the drum to original specs.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69rtse4spd

Don't know if I would weld on cast iron, unless you find an old timer that knows what he is doing. They are getting had to find.  :Twocents:.

Dino

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on September 19, 2012, 07:27:02 PM
Don't know if I would weld on cast iron, unless you find an old timer that knows what he is doing. They are getting had to find.  :Twocents:.

True but any machine shop should know how to do this.  There's several ways of welding it but I'd likely go with an arc welder and cast iron covered electrodes.  You do have to preheat the drums regardless of what welding method you use.

Dmichels

Weld them up? really? your joking right? Not trying to be rude but he would be better off just using them as is If you try to weld them they most likely will fail DON"T ever rig brakes. rant over
I assume 10 inch rear drums    so max is 10.060 Max for 11" is +.060 over as well. The 10 inch brakes were used for years you should have no trouble finding new drums If you are in a bind and they will not machine true, just use the as is untill you can get replacments The shoes will wear to fit.
PS turn both drums to the  same size. Now if you have a good old machine shop they can even grind the shoes to match the radius of the machined drums for the perfect fit.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Dino

No I'm not joking.  The op apparently does not have a source to get another drum so welding is an option.  It's been done before.

375instroke

Usually .060" over max, so 10" is 10.060" max diameter.  What is this for?  What is unavailable new?

A383Wing

my opinion here, I would never weld a drum and put it on my car....if these are 10" drums, they should be availble most anywhere

Bryan  (again, my opinion, consider the source)

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on September 22, 2012, 10:48:21 PM
my opinion here, I would never weld a drum and put it on my car....if these are 10" drums, they should be availble most anywhere

Bryan  (again, my opinion, consider the source)

I'm of the same mind.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.