News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a PS cooler?

Started by flyinlow, September 22, 2012, 10:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Having  problems with my 73's PS when warm.  Go for a drive ,and when parking in a lot it seams to lose the power assist.Steers fine the rest of the time. I have had three pumps on it in the last 4 years. They all develop leaks around the pump shaft. Using regular power steering fluid. I have used Lucas stop leak fluid ,which does seam to stop the leak for awhile. Car has new Gates belts, not slipping. Painted headers do get close to the PS box . Maybe try a cooler in the return line?  108K on the car, steering linkage is all new.

A383Wing

it may not be the pump....could be the valves or pistons inside the box...I would find it hard to believe that all 3 pumps would fail in that short of time

Bryan

flyinlow

Checked the pump and it can put out about 1000  psi with the steering wheel against the lock. Very little preasure just sitting there applying no steering inputs, 200-500 psi while turning the wheel with the car stationary. (245/60 BFG's)  The pumps all just started leaking after a few hundred or thousand  miles.
Not a big leak,just annoying for the mess.
Thought the headers might overheat the fluid?  Didn't some cars have coolers  from the factory?

Quote from: A383Wing on September 22, 2012, 10:51:10 PM
it may not be the pump....could be the valves or pistons inside the box...I would find it hard to believe that all 3 pumps would fail in that short of time

Bryan

Yea might have to think about getting the box overhauled.

A383Wing

QuoteDidn't some cars have coolers  from the factory?

not factory location here, but it's a factory part

Bryan