News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Body line question

Started by NHCharger, September 22, 2012, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Is the body line on the quarter panel a perfectly straight line? When I pull a string line from the middle of the marker light on the quarter to the door jamb the body line is higher over the wheel wells (about an 1"). The Charger has replacement quarters that were hung about ten years ago so they are probably Goodmark's. The body lines on the doors and fenders are straight. I've tried looking at reference pics but I just can't tell.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

rebby

Which line? The "upper" line is obviously not so I assume that you're talking about the "second" line. That's not perfectly straight either. Perhaps these will help???

Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

JB400

He's talking about the line that runs through the center of the door.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

That upper body line (below the door handle) shouldn't run all the way to the front of the fender though.  It's supposed to gradually fade out just before it reaches the front bumper area. 

charger Downunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 23, 2012, 04:35:03 AM

That upper body line (below the door handle) shouldn't run all the way to the front of the fender though.  It's supposed to gradually fade out just before it reaches the front bumper area. 

I second that
[/quote]

cdr

my 68 is the same way, original panel,has to due with it having a curve in the panel,if you are repairing use tape to keep body line straight
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

Mike, yes on my fenders the body line fades out before it meets the bumper.
I have used tape the keep the body lines straight. I use the widest tape possible because even when you pull the tape straight you can still get a slight bow. I actually use a 4 foot piece of 12" wide aluminum coil stock to draw a straight line, then tape to the line, this gives me a perfectly straight line. It was a lot easier with the fenders and doors since they're off the car and I can lay them flat. When I do this with the quarters it doesn't work out.
If you take a straight edge and hold it against the computer screen on Rebby's first pic his quarter panel line does the exact same thing I'm talking about.
I guess it has to do with the quarters flaring out at the wheel wells.
Thanks for the quick replies. :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

Quote from: NHCharger on September 23, 2012, 07:30:20 AM
Mike, yes on my fenders the body line fades out before it meets the bumper.
I have used tape the keep the body lines straight. I use the widest tape possible because even when you pull the tape straight you can still get a slight bow. I actually use a 4 foot piece of 12" wide aluminum coil stock to draw a straight line, then tape to the line, this gives me a perfectly straight line. It was a lot easier with the fenders and doors since they're off the car and I can lay them flat. When I do this with the quarters it doesn't work out.
If you take a straight edge and hold it against the computer screen on Rebby's first pic his quarter panel line does the exact same thing I'm talking about.
I guess it has to do with the quarters flaring out at the wheel wells.
Thanks for the quick replies. :cheers:
i tried the same thing with a long straight edge & had the same result
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

bill440rt

NH, yes it does have a slight "bow" and will curve upward a bit. Very deceiving.
Mine does the same thing. I had to adjust the "tape" when block sanding as well to keep the curve of the line.
Hope that helps.   :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RT440

Im glad somebody asked this question as Im fitting up my CBD quarters on the 68 and noticed this same thing. It had me freaked out because I put a straight edge on mine and noticed a slight crown of the body line. It looks worse when youre looking at it from the rear towards the front, but it just seems that the bow outward that the quarter has over the wheel opening makes the body line look different from every way you look at it...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

NHCharger

I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and tonight. When you tape it it looks even worse and ANY slight whoop dee doo in the tape line sticks out like a neon sign. I spent almost an hour working to get the tape line to look right over the wheel wells. Next time I'll start drinking before working on the car, not after.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

richRTSE

I wonder if one of those laser projectors (Craftsman?) like they use to put in drop ceilings would help to get a straight line...  :scratchchin:

cdr

Quote from: richRTSE on September 24, 2012, 08:45:12 PM
I wonder if one of those laser projectors (Craftsman?) like they use to put in drop ceilings would help to get a straight line...  :scratchchin:
i tried that no workie

cdr

Quote from: NHCharger on September 24, 2012, 08:41:03 PM
I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday and tonight. When you tape it it looks even worse and ANY slight whoop dee doo in the tape line sticks out like a neon sign. I spent almost an hour working to get the tape line to look right over the wheel wells. Next time I'll start drinking before working on the car, not after.
block away from the tape line