News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blacking out the radiator supports

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, September 22, 2012, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

How far into the fender is the flat black to go & is the lower radiator support supposed to be painted black or body color?

Thanks!  :2thumbs:

Back N Black

ODZKing

elacruze

Here's a good shot of my factory paint before restoration. It's durty and hard to see, but the lower core support was painted black. Obviously none of it was very thick.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

E5 Charger

I'm not sure where I got these photos from, but they show it well on a couple 3rd gen's.

JB400

From what I hear, the black was sprayed after the front end was put on and it was done from underneath.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

CDN72SE

Quote from: ODZKing on September 22, 2012, 09:45:10 PM
How about 3rd gen's?   :popcrn:

Here's a '71, sorry can't credit the original poster.

1972 Charger SE

Mytur Binsdirti

Well, based on Rarefish's original paint car, I painted mine like his; all the way across to the edges of the fenders including the lower crossbar. In the pictures he sent to me, I noticed thatthe inside of his front valance is painted black as well. Anyone ever seen that before?

Ryan

I have read that the valance can go either black or body color.... Doesn't seem to be a right or wrong.
Are you going to make a resto thread as you finish putting that car together?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Just 6T9 CHGR

I see you opted for the "neat" black out....good choice :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ryan on September 25, 2012, 07:21:02 PM
I have read that the valance can go either black or body color.... Doesn't seem to be a right or wrong.
Are you going to make a resto thread as you finish putting that car together?

Where's the resto thread section?

cdr

start a new thread in the charger section  is what i did,,ie[ dirty turbins not so dirty 68 hemi]  :icon_smile_big: dang thats a nice car
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Mine looked like your elacruze! pretty shoddy really thin and sprayed like my 4 year old daughter did it!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

bakerhillpins

Interesting how some of the pics of original paint cars show the blackout stops at the edge of the core support and some go to the fender. 
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 25, 2012, 07:07:33 PM
Well, based on Rarefish's original paint car, I painted mine like his; all the way across to the edges of the fenders including the lower crossbar. In the pictures he sent to me, I noticed thatthe inside of his front valance is painted black as well. Anyone ever seen that before?

This was my lower valance experience

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14588.0.html
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Lee

I have some old original valances. They are painted black inside. They start either to the center or to the outer edge of the parking light holes and go across to the same approximate spot on the other parking light.