News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK---F & F now has a Daytona?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, September 21, 2012, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 25, 2012, 06:26:05 AM

The first F&F movie 11 years ago was arguably the purest "car movie" in the series.  By far the most highly respected car in the movie was a 1970 Charger, done up in a throwback 70s/80s style, and portrayed as more powerful than any of the modern imports.  Does this formula sound like a winner?  And yet I don't remember the Mopar hobby being too enthused about it.    

I stand by what I said earlier - we won't be happy with any car movie that is mainstream enough to get made these days.  

I've got to say I was more than happy with "Faster", the fact that there was a muscle car (even though not a mopar) being driven throughout the whole of the movie made it worthwhile for me.
And more than happy with "Drive Angry", the fact that there was a muscle car (a charger no less) being driven  throughout the whole of the movie made it worthwhile for me.
Enjoyed them both.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: Brightyellow69rtse on September 25, 2012, 09:01:11 PM
i personally like the series. the third was the worst one imo. yeah all movies have their stupid over the top crap. i try not to get hung up on that stuff and just enjoy the movie.

That's the way I look at it too. If you start pulling them to pieces (nit picking) there's nothing left.

Mike DC

Drive Angry:  $50 million risked, ultimately lost $21 mil.

Faster:  $24 risked, paid for itself and earned $11 profit.

Fast & Furious #5:  $121 risked, paid for itself and earned $505 million profit.

Fred

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 25, 2012, 11:57:37 PM

Drive Angry:  $50 risked, ultimately lost $21.

Faster:  $24 risked, paid for itself and earned $11 profit.

Fast & Furious #5:  $121 risked, paid for itself and earned $505 profit.

Win some Lose some!
Just goes to show what a fickle lot we are.

JB400

Just goes to show how easy a fool is seperated from his money :icon_smile_big:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 26, 2012, 12:23:06 AM
Just goes to show how easy a fool is seperated from his money :icon_smile_big:

Are you speaking from experience?  :smilielol:  :nana:

JB400

Nope, I haven't spent the $20 to go watch any of them at the theater.  Haven't been to the theater in over a decade. :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 26, 2012, 12:45:45 AM
Nope, I haven't spent the $20 to go watch any of them at the theater.  Haven't been to the theater in over a decade. :2thumbs:

Same here thanks to dvd rentals. I watch the rental first and only then will I decide wether or not it's worth buying.   :2thumbs:

JB400

Quote from: Fred on September 26, 2012, 12:49:34 AM

Same here thanks to dvd rentals. I watch the rental first and only then will I decide wether or not it's worth buying.   :2thumbs:
I wait till it comes out on HBO.  Watch it till I get tired of it and still don't buy it on dvd.  About the time I want to see it again, it comes back on HBO or another channel

Finn

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 25, 2012, 12:16:50 PM
Look's attrocious

LOL! Just said the same thing before scrolling down to see this.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 26, 2012, 12:53:46 AM

I wait till it comes out on HBO.  Watch it till I get tired of it and still don't buy it on dvd.  About the time I want to see it again, it comes back on HBO or another channel

I suppose I could to that too. I'll think about it.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on September 26, 2012, 01:01:02 AM

PS I get HBO free.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 26, 2012, 01:03:29 AM
Quote from: Fred on September 26, 2012, 01:01:02 AM

PS I get HBO free.

Lucky you.    I don't..........it's cheaper for me to rent it. (only $1.00)

1974dodgecharger

I hit the movies every friday....its my away time from society in a dark room.  Too many people want to be around me so I have to sneak around at different theatres every friday  ;)

Fred

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 26, 2012, 01:26:24 AM

I hit the movies every friday....its my away time from society in a dark room.  Too many people want to be around me so I have to sneak around at different theatres every friday  ;)

Stop using a deodorant and eat plenty of garlic.................you'll soon be rid of the lot of them.   :nana: :lol:

JB400

Quote from: Fred on September 26, 2012, 01:33:50 AM

Stop using a deodorant and eat plenty of garlic.................you'll soon be rid of the lot of them.   :nana: :lol:
You shouldn't shower before you go either.  Did you have beenie weenies  before you go to the theater/

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Fred on September 26, 2012, 01:33:50 AM

:rofl: true,

Ghoste

I likely won't go to a theater to see it but I'll end up with a copy sooner or later.  Love it or hate it I always seem to end up with a movie joining the collection anytime it has a Charger in it. :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 25, 2012, 09:50:03 PM
@ Bull -

Your pic showed a car with about 30" rear tires.  The rear axle is nearly full droop to fit them.  I was trying to say a stock GL/Charger doesn't have that much room.  

IMHO a reasonably stock-looking "wheelie car" could be built, but it would need some work done to give more clearance than a real stock Charger has.  

Ok, I wasn't sure until now if you were talking about F&F or DOH. In DOH I agree there isn't much they could have done to fudge a real wheelie without deviating from the WB stance and tire/suspension setup. But if we're talking F&F they could have easily done a real one since the 70 Charger in F&F 1 was depicted as a drag car. My original posting on the wheelie issue refers to F&F 1 and the fact that some people replied saying a big, real wheelie couldn't have been done without hydraulics. It can be done and it has been done.

Mike DC

Yeah I was thinking about a GL when I said the clearance wasn't there.  The F&F car's appearance certainly had the potential to do it for real even if the crew elected not to try it that way.

Ghoste

Not so much that it CAN'T be done Bull as that it can't be done in a practical manner for Hollywood.  First the cost of making that much power, and then shooting multiple takes and hoping nothing breaks.  Hydraulics will let it donw easy, engine wheelies may come down easy they may come down HARD!  And don't forget the whole safety part too.  There is a little bit of control with the hydraulic one I would think.  Its cheesy for sure but I bet from an actor stuntamn director and producer point of view it was the smarter way to go.

JB400

I'm sure that shot was done with multiple cars.  One for the burnout and one for the lift.

Mike DC

QuoteNot so much that it CAN'T be done Bull as that it can't be done in a practical manner for Hollywood.  First the cost of making that much power, and then shooting multiple takes and hoping nothing breaks.  Hydraulics will let it donw easy, engine wheelies may come down easy they may come down HARD!  And don't forget the whole safety part too.  There is a little bit of control with the hydraulic one I would think.  Its cheesy for sure but I bet from an actor stuntamn director and producer point of view it was the smarter way to go.

Exactly.  Hollywood doesn't want fast cars.  They want consistent, reliable, safe cars.  

Hence all the 350 Chevy motors in everything.  They don't need the most horsepower, and they don't even need the engines to be really cheap.  But they do need replacement parts in 30 minutes when the car breaks down during shooting on a foreign continent. 

1974dodgecharger

drive angry was a excellent movie only due to the charger!!!!!  That 69, matted black, was pure awesomeness.....

bull

I just think a real wheelie would have been a lot cooler and a more genuine nod to the old outlaw car movies. With a pro stunt driver and some wheelie bars it could have been pulled off safely and with some predictability.

Plus I think the Mopar world suffered a little from the stunt once it was revealed that it was a Hollywood trick, at least to victims of the Ford/Chevy clowns who enjoyed ribbing about it.