News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 383/727 to 1966 440/727

Started by johnnycharger, September 20, 2012, 10:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys,
I am looking for a little decision making help. I currently have a 383/ 727 and i think it needs work. I know the tranny is slipping,
I have the opportunity to grab a 1966 440/727 in working order for $1,000. Should I go for it or am I better off with my year/vin correct engine?

68X426

You can have it both ways. Get the new motor, have fun. When you decide to sell, either re-install the matching 383 (if it adds value at that time) or just include the 383 for a buyer who really wants it.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

johnnycharger

My 383 does pretty good for me, but we can always use more power right?
Is the 440 such an improvement that this swap would be worth it?
In todays market would the value go up or down? I may not be able to old onto te 383 if I do swap it. :shruggy:

JB400

Quote from: johnnycharger on September 21, 2012, 04:42:59 PM
My 383 does pretty good for me, but we can always use more power right?
Is the 440 such an improvement that this swap would be worth it?
In todays market would the value go up or down? I may not be able to old onto te 383 if I do swap it. :shruggy:
If your happy with the 383, stick with it.  Yes, the 440 is going to add more power to your car, but it'll add more weight to your car as well.  It's just a matter of what you want and what you want the car to do.  440's do add value to your car because that's what everyone wants. If your going to sell it, the 440 helps.

johnnycharger

I am not planning on selling, but I don't want to lower the value of it either. This motor and tranny are complete from air cleaner to driveshaft; so for a grand I think it could be a good deal. I dont know much about the difference between a 383 and a 440. I am assuming the stock 440 will be faster; and that my headers will bolt up.....
I am not really looking for more work as I have very little free time, but if everyting adds up and it is the best route, I will do it....
:shruggy:

JB400

The only difference between a 383 and a 440 is that the 440 is taller and has a bigger stroke and a bigger bore.  All your assesories off one engine will bolt up to the other.  It'll take one afternoon to complete the swap.  Direct bolt in.

Ghoste

The 440 will also make a great deal more torque and that is what you will notice the most driving around town.  You wont regret the swap.

johnnycharger

hi guys
thanks for the info! That's why I love this site  :cheers:
Is there anything I should be concerned about with this 66 440 besides the regular used motor stuff? I dont know if one year motor is better than the other, etc....

Ghoste

1966 wasn't the most "performance" oriented version of the 440 in its stock form but you'll still enjoy and it'll be easy enough to address the shortcomings in that regard.  As far as strength of components you are okay, they were bulletproof every year.

johnnycharger

Thanks!
I've now seen the engine in person. It will need some work, although I dont know how much.  Freeze plugs and accessories at the very least. I will post the pics of it. The tranny looked fine and straight forward. Is it a good deal at $1000?

johnnycharger

johnnycharger

:shruggy:

A383Wing

Quote from: johnnycharger on September 25, 2012, 09:08:26 PM
Thanks!
I've now seen the engine in person. It will need some work, although I dont know how much.  Freeze plugs and accessories at the very least. I will post the pics of it. The tranny looked fine and straight forward. Is it a good deal at $1000?

does engine run? how does the tranny shift? does engine smoke on start up?

you may end up with more issues with used tranny & engine than you do now with 383 and yer slipping trans

Bryan

green69rt

I'm going to offer a contrary opinion  because this is related to some thoughts I've been having about my project.  I have a old 383 2V 727 car that I am rebuilding.  I wanted a RT clone so it will have a 440 but my initial idea was to build a stroker and get some real HP out of it plus the added torque.   Then as time went on I started considering what I wanted to do with the car.  It could, potentially, be driven weekly or even daily, in traffic or on so road trips so ease of driving is important.  It will not be a racer or a drag car but needs to get up to speed in traffic, etc. So spending money to get a big stroker to travel 70MPH seemed kind of silly, I'd rather spend the money on a nicer paint job.

I actually thought of just rebuilding the 383 and adding a 4V to it, but I really wanted a 440 so that's what I will get.  Will the 440 make a big diff, well, maybe.  You could get a bigger seat-of-the-pants kick by a rear end gear change.  So what are the trade offs.  $1000 for a different engine plus the work and cost to replace your existing engine or some cost to fix your existing transmission and add a gear change.  Maybe get some money back for the 383 if you don't keep it.   Do the math.

Now think about what has not been mentioned on this thread.  440s may need a heftier suspension to handle the added torque (ie, rear springs, torsion bars for the extra 440 weight, sway bar, maybe other things that people on this site can help with.)  If you don't add these then why do it??  And is the old 440 really that much better than your existing 383.  Is the 440 worn, how would you know??   I think the motor mounts are the same and the drive shaft is fine,  but are the exhaust manifolds the same and the hookup to the rest of the exhaust ok?  You mention some other work needed so the cost will be more than the $1000.

All I'm saying is this is not a yes/no decision.   Take a little more time, do you really want a 440 like me then enough said, go for it.  Ok, my contrary rant is done.

Ghoste

Basically the 440 will drop right in where the 383 was.  The existing car will handle the upgrade to the stock 440 in this case without any problems as a rule.  However, you do bring up another good point and now that we know the engine "needs" a few things it is a little more uncertain.  It needs to be determined if it turns over and runs.  If its a non runner then I wouldn't 1000 for it personally.  If it turns over but the overall condition is unknown, it could end up costing you a whack of money to get it straightened around.  Like Brian said, you could end upwith more issues than wanted, 1000 is sounding like too much more and more.

johnnycharger

thanks for the help guys. I've been thinking about it and I think I will keep my 383. A 440 would be nice but I don't have to have it. At least I know what I have now, and it runs.

Ghoste

I think you made the smart choice.  :2thumbs:

johnnycharger