News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Like" a post to save for later?

Started by DadsCharger00, September 20, 2012, 08:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DadsCharger00

I've found this site to be a huge wealth of knowledge, and with over 500 pages of threads to read, sometimes I find a post that I truly like, but don't have time to read the 15 pages! Is it, or would it be possible to add like a bookmark so one can save that page for reading at a further time? Perhaps that's a posibility and I've overlooked it, but if not, I think it would be a pretty nice addition! Thanks!

FLG

Lets say the post is on page 3, just bookmark that page.

A383Wing

or just right click the thread topic you want to save and send a PM to yourself with it.

Bryan

Troy

That feature isn't really part of the forum software but you *could* cheat a little and click the "notify" button. This is technically for letting you know when someone else posts in a thread you like but it does leave a nice little list of interesting topics in your profile that you can access at any time.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bakerhillpins

Yea, I have been farting around with different ways to accomplish this for quite a while and I have tried all of the above with varying success. I personally find the bookmark way the least useful because it requires that I manage that data on multiple PCs. PMs have the issue of you are limited in the total #. What I was doing to combat that was sending a PM to myself and checking the "Save a copy in Outbox". Then when I need to add a link I goto the outbox and click "Quote" and edit the message to add a new link. Problem here is you need to strip out the quote HTML code or it starts to get messy fast. None of them are really that great overall. Troy's suggestion is probably the best option as I see it. I wish there was a way to do this on the forum though.

Update this thread if you find a good way!!!  :2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rebby

Personally I've just been using bookmarks. With FireFox Sync/iCloud I have no problem keeping them sync'd between multiple computers and my iDevices. If I find something REALLY useful I'll "print to PDF" and store it on my NAS for future reference. I've learned that keeping a local copy is really the best way to go. You never know if the needed material is going to stick around. I find that people are constantly reshuffling what photos are available on the internet and the thread that I may have booked marked 2 years ago no longer contains the critical image that I need when I finally get back to it. Having a PDF and/or local copy of the image has saved me quite a few times.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)