News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Repro grill trim

Started by 66FBCharger, September 20, 2012, 06:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

How is the quality of the reproduction grill trim? Is it made of the same metal as original? Are there more than one company who makes the trim? If so, who makes the best?
Am I better of buying repro trim or straightening and taking the dings out of my original trim and having them re anodized?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

bill440rt

In general, repro parts are never the same compared to original.
Aluminum trim is very hard to repair, but there are companies out there that do it. Depending on the condition, it is probably cheaper to buy a set of repros than to have the originals restored.

I do have a set of repro trim on my '69 grille. They are anodized aluminum, just like the originals. The center "H" piece and the straight trims fit good, & are nice quality. The end "C" pieces didn't fit that great, though.
Overall they look good, but are still not like original.

I'm not sure if multiple companies are making them (probably just one), but several vendors carry them. I just looked to find the best deal on them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

66FBCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on September 20, 2012, 06:59:05 AM
In general, repro parts are never the same compared to original.
Aluminum trim is very hard to repair, but there are companies out there that do it. Depending on the condition, it is probably cheaper to buy a set of repros than to have the originals restored.

I do have a set of repro trim on my '69 grille. They are anodized aluminum, just like the originals. The center "H" piece and the straight trims fit good, & are nice quality. The end "C" pieces didn't fit that great, though.
Overall they look good, but are still not like original.

I'm not sure if multiple companies are making them (probably just one), but several vendors carry them. I just looked to find the best deal on them.
Can you tell me who restores original anodized aluminum trim? Anyone have any recommendations for people who do nice work?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

bill440rt

I've never used these guys, but heard good things about them:
http://www.alltrim.com/

BTW, here's a close up shot of repro trim on my grille. It's nice stuff. The "C" ends fit OK, but not perfect.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ryan

Bill pretty much hit the nail on the head. The repro stuff is nice but it's not perfect.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

twodko

Yes, the OEM trim was anodized.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!