News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rebuild Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifter??

Started by bobs66440, September 22, 2012, 06:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

There's an issue with my newly rebuilt 440 (flat tappet hydraulic .488 Summit cam...all new everything)

It has been running perfect up to now (1300 miles), but now when it sits for a day or two and I start it, it raps pretty loud for a second or two until the oil pressure kicks in. (It definitely sounds like only ONE lifter. Very distinct as a single tap). After that, it's fine all day long. No noise, perfect.  It's only after it sits. It sounds to me like a lifter is bleeding down. I called Comp tech. They said I should replace all the lifters and cam also. They said replacing just one will almost certainly wipe out that lobe. I really don't want to tear this thing back apart.

My buddy suggested maybe using the failed lifter body, rebuilding it and re-installing it in the same place. That way I wouldn't have to tear it all apart. I just don't know if that can be done or not. I've had them apart and reassembled them before, but.... :shruggy:

Experiences?

my73charger

Hi Bob,

I wouldn't drive it anymore until you get this taken care of.  I think if it is just a lifter bleeding down (thats what it sounds like to me) you are safe replacing just the lifters as long as there is no damage to the cam, but I would replace the entire set though.  I experienced the exact same thing once on a motor and that is what I did and it worked out fine.  It might not be a bad idea to try and get a good look at the lobes on that cam though just to make sure there is no damage.  I am not a motor builder though so my advise is from my past experience - I am sure Ron or someone will be by with some expert advise soon...  Good luck!

Tim