News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Charger REAL 1/4 mile times

Started by Ghoste, September 18, 2012, 04:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

What are some of the new Charger owners that have raced their cars been getting for 1/4 miles times.  ACTUAL times not reported ones from magazines.

myk

Wish I could tell ya, but I have yet to pick up my '12 Charger SRT8 from the dealer.  Does anyone here even own a new Charger?

Ghoste

A few but they don't often say much because of the flame attacks.  (and yes, I have been as guilty as anyone)

hatersaurusrex

Myk are you really getting an SRT8 or is that snark?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

I took it as snark but maybe I shouldn't have?

c00nhunterjoe

I have an 07 RT.  With serious traction issues I went 13.8's @102. Cutting a 2.5 60' I believe.  I only ran the car because the tack was empty. No burnout, drove around the box, pulled right up to the line, no deep stage. Just mashed it on 3rd yellow. Didnt expect to blow the tires off but oh well. I didn't buy it for a drag car, its my daily driver. I have my own custom program in it, intake, and a 180 thermostat, everything else is bone stock with 108,000 on the clock. It should be good for mid 13's but I don't really care to run it again. My year is supposed to run anywhere from 14.20s to 14.50s bone stock so my program appears to have done really well.

Bone stock with the resonators cut off: http://youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=wtoa6-SFfuk

After the predator tuner,180 stat, k&n: http://youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=1XHINjXHbq0

Custom tune, spins so fast from a roll the autostick won't hold and it upshifts..... but you can tell the power difference from the other videos: http://youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=1XHINjXHbq0

Barks 2nd real nice, just rolled into it in 1st so it wouldn't spin: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oNus2FptXNE

GT

I havent ran my '12 SRT at the track yet - so i cant tell you 1/4 mile times (it has built in timers, but i wont run those speeds on the street).

I have done 0-60.  Even with the upgraded sticky tires and traction control, i had traction issues.  Much quicker with traction control off.  Feathering the throttle, no traction control, and wheel spin I managed 4.4s.  Ma mopar claims 4.2s  That is most definately doable on a better surface and controlling wheel spin.  Tires are $ so I've limited my "testing"  :angel:

The car handles predictable with or without traction control.  You can kick the back out if your not careful and can break the rears loose at 25mph with traction control off easily... You absolutely do not want to put one of these cars in the hands of an inexperienced driver...

I'd "play" more but need to get to the track.

Can't wait to attend the SRT Track Experience... i'm scheduled to go Nov 15th.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

68X426

Quote from: GT on September 19, 2012, 05:46:44 PM

Can't wait to attend the SRT Track Experience... i'm scheduled to go Nov 15th.

Please report back! :popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Yes, please do.  It will also be intersting to see how the SRT does compared to the RT.  I wish we had more than the two of you but thats a good cross section at least.

c00nhunterjoe

The 2012 has the 392 in it. 450 hp? They are monsters. It will blow he doors off of mine. Mine was rated at 350hp since I have the road and track package. The base rt has 345 from 06-08. 09 and up has variable cam timing and hp bumped t 370 I think.  The srt8's with the 6.1 are 425.

I have seen plenty of srt8's dip into the 12s with nothing more then a tuner, catback exhaust, and slicks. They were good shifters. The wannabes have gone into the 14s with their skilled shifts....
You can get the early 5.7's into the 12s but it takes a little more cash then I want to spend on it. Long tube headers are a grand...... plus the cat delete pipe........ too much money.

Ghoste

I just want to know stock ones though.  No tuners or catbacks. :lol:

c00nhunterjoe

The new 392 srt8s should run 12s off the showroom floor

Finn

Ive been seeing around 12.6 on youtube. No telling how stock those are though.  :popcrn:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Cooter

450-500 HP @ 4150 LBS..Gotta be a calculator round here somewhere.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68X426

The vexer.com calculator says 12.21 at 111 mph. It assumes 450 hp is 405 hp at the rear wheels.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mike DC

As far as I'm concerned, the new retro-musclecars are faster than the classics, end of story.  They have more rear-wheel HP, their tires are bigger/better, and they have the chassis & gears to take advantage of it.  They are not only faster, but their real-world average performance is probably closer to their best possible numbers than with the classics, too.  

The only area that the new ones really give anything away to the old ones is in curb weight.  But look at the net final G-force numbers that the modern cars can produce (in various directions).  I think those figures demonstrate that modern tires are overcoming the weight handicap.

myk

Sorry guys I was snarking.  Love that SRT8 with the Audi-ish front end though...

Ghoste

Things don't always happen the way they look on paper Mike, thats why I was looking for some real world box stock eperiences.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 05:34:01 AM
Things don't always happen the way they look on paper Mike, thats why I was looking for some real world box stock eperiences.

Well "Real world" might not be the best either as an idiot might not get but 15 Sec. 1/4 mile out of a stock Hemi '68 R/T with 4-speed....However, put the correct driver in it and all of a sudden, it's running 12's.

Same with the newer ones.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Thats why I was hoping for more than a couple of responses.  I'm just going to have to spend more time at the dragstrips next season. :icon_smile_big:

1974dodgecharger

didge dodge REMAKE THE CHARGER  :shruggy: this is my first time hearing this  :brickwall:

c00nhunterjoe

Motortrend got a 13.0@110 out of a 392 srt8 showroom equipped. 

Ghoste

I put little to no faith in any magazine road test.

cdr

Calculate HP From Weight and MPH
MPH    Weight    

Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 4150 pounds and MPH of 110 is 453.99.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Nacho-RT74

reading those times, I can't see too much difference from the bone stock R/Ts back in the day. Weren't the Clasic Muscles rated in 13 seconds too ?

40 years technology just for that ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

I think a more realistic time for the average 440 powered Charger back in the day would be in the 14 second range.  The Hemi's well tuned and with a good driver could run 13's.

c00nhunterjoe

The new ones get over 20 mpg, run 2.70 gears and corner like they are on rails.  I think the 69 charger 440 6 pack with 4.10s only ran 13.9s.  That srt8 is pumping out 110 mph. That's a really low 12 on slicks.

Ghoste

No 69 Charger Six Pack.  The Hemi in a 69 was right around there.  The Six Pack in a 70 Charger was likely in that hunt.

c00nhunterjoe

Ghoste

I have seen others run quicker but for sure, without traction control you need someone behind the wheel who knows what they're doing.