News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No reverse?

Started by HANDM, September 17, 2012, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

72 Dodge D200...... Truck has been sitting since 99, just got it running and after adding 6!! quarts of tranny fluid, It seems to have all all 3 forward gears (sitting, haven't driven it yet) but no reverse. Actually it feels as though it is going in but with no rpm drop and with a very light whine.....

Ya think mayhap it just needs to work itself out, or do I need to yank the tranny, the valve body or the tailshaft and governor???  :eek2:
Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

Odd that it is making noise. John should see this and post soon. Does it move with he selector in low?

HANDM

Yep, goes into first with authority and the whine is so faint that I could barely hear it.

John_Kunkel

Could just need a rear band adjustment.

Pull the pan and observe the rear band lever; if it's just hanging down, the band has broken or link has popped out. If the lever still has springback but will pull down by hand over a half-inch, the band needs adjusting.

To adjust, loosen the jam nut with a thin 11/16" box wrench and back it way off. Then take a 4" Crescent wrench and turn the adjuster stud in until it's just snug and back it out 2 turns...hold the stud while tightening the jam nut. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HANDM

Thanks John,

Looks like my weekend just filled up.....lol