News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird prices, circa 2005

Started by held1823, September 15, 2012, 02:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

many (most?) people think the wing car market is down today.  if this article was even remotely close to their true value back in 2005, are today's selling prices for 440-powered superbirds (hemi cars will always be the exception to the rule) really all that low? has the "supply versus demand" side of things simply leveled off, letting prices settle at a sustainable level? long time owners would not feel the ill effects either way, but those who bought in at a high price during the last few years, and are now looking to cash out, may be reaching for the pepto for quite a while...

the link to the full hemmings article

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2005/04/01/hmn_feature2.html
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

held1823

nope. just came across this article by accident.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

I think those values published above were quite low.    My recollection is that 2005 and 2006 were near or at the peak; and then we leveled off and slowly started back down the other side in 2007 and '08.    It took a while for people to figure out what was happening, and that the peak opportunity to sell had passed.     

held1823

my initial thought was that the prices shown in the "high" column might have been closer to the "average" aound that time frame. i'd think that not enough superbirds changed hands to accurately value them. toss in variables like non numbers matching engines, replacement fiberglass cones, etc, and it all becomes as clear as mud. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Indygenerallee

I agree seems awful low as to what I remember!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

41husk

I agree they are low.  I have two additions of a book on Mopar history and the price guide shows a 1-6 condition chart and even though the editions are 5 years apart the price chart is the same :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

WINGIN IT

After tracking prices of these cars for so many years, most of the price guides showed lower values than the then current asking prices, and general selling prices during those times.   

b5blue

I recall as late as 2007 seeing Hemi # match at "Value Inestimable" for a lot of top shelf cars. That was in Old Cars Price Guide at the local library.

Robert96

Those prices seem low for that time period. I've been following these cars for years and it just doesn't seem right.

Aero426

Price guides don't buy cars.    They seem to often be behind the curve or just plain inaccurate. 

Ghoste

Price guides do sell price guides though. :lol:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on September 17, 2012, 10:02:29 AM
Price guides don't buy cars.    They seem to often be behind the curve or just plain inaccurate. 
:iagree: