News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rocker arms ticks springs

Started by steve_mel, September 17, 2012, 07:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_mel

OK so I got the motor running and she is finally idling good. I put a new exhaust system on from Pypes 2 1/2 ss. So that went good took a couple hours did it on jack stands. Took her out for a drive around the hood. Once she got warm I started to hear a loud tick when down shifting seems to be a valve train sound. Pass side rear. Took the valve cover off and saw some unusual things. Remember I have always had Chevy's so I really do not know what I am dealing with. Rocker arms all had oil on them a good thing but then I noticed a couple of things. Furthest back spring looks diff from all the others several of the rocker look like they are oblong where the they fit on the shaft. Question is is this a normal occurrence or trouble. First pic rear rocker see how the hole where it slides on the shaft is oblong and check that spring out. Next pic rocker hole looks normal? There are only 2 rockers that the hole looks tight.

XH29N0G

I had a tick and replaced the rockers and it went away.  I am not sure that the oblong holes are a problem because the gaps at the top, but I suppose wear where they meet the pushrods, valves, or under the rocker arm shaft is what gave it just enough play to make a tick.  I am new to this so I will be waiting to hear what others have to say, too.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cdr

i cant tell if it is the picture that looks stretched or the valve locks dont look correct,take another picture
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

steve_mel

First you got to tell me what a valve lock is.

cdr

they are at the top of spring there is a retainer & the locks go around the top of valve stem they are in halves very small
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

steve_mel

Picture is squed a bit. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Keepers look good
I was mainly concerned about the apparent wear on the side of the rocker arm where the shaft passes thru. and the different spring that was installed. I  understand they might just be a different rate spring.

You know I have been looking around I think I will just order a set of full roller rockers and have that over with.
Any good comments between steel or aluminum

cdr

prw has some ok steel ones that wont break the bank

Cooter

If your referring to the oblong holes in the roacker where they slide onto the shaft, then most of the factory, stamped steel rockers, don't fit tightly on the shafts. In other words, the weird "loose" appearing holes are correct as long as it isn't causing the rocker to sit crooked.

Ticks can be anything from valvetrain, to exhaust leaks. Have you tried checking around the headers with a stethoscope for exhaust leaks at the heads?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

Are you 100% sure you don't have any exhaust leaks?

Is the cam stock? I've heard of noisey vlavetrain when using old rockers on a new higher lift cam.

I would be a little leary of an oddball valve spring. Not much you can do about it, short of replacing them all.

You can pull the rocker shafts to make sure they are on correctly. Oil hole points to springs.

Most will say roller rockers are a waste on mopars based on their stock design. If you are set on getting them, don't skimp. Aluminum or steel, doesn't matter in my opinion. A bushed rocker will be fine, our shafts get plenty of oil so spending extra for a roller bearing isn't neccesary.

steve_mel

Thanks for the input. I have decided to change them all out with steel full roller rockers seems to me they will last a lifetime. And thanks for not acting like I should know all this this is my first mopar. More questions will arise and you guys are really knowledgeable. And buy the way its not header noise after she gets hot mostly on the decel and off throttle a good tic is heard in the car. So I am imagining lifter problems on that back cylinder. Motor was supposed to rebuilt I never got any paper work with the car so who knows who rebuilt it or whats in it. Steve

cdr

NO QUESTION is a stupid one! unless its about a FORD  :icon_smile_big: