News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie pinion angle primer

Started by GTX, December 08, 2005, 10:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Ok, I admit that I don't know much about all of this (I'm still learning much after many years) and I'll bet a few others don't either but don't want to speak up.

So, Ron or Neil or someone, would it be asking a lot to jot down a basic primer for pinion angle and it's effects?
I've read a few posts here and there on the topic but nothing that really explains everything.

Anyone care to write a primer? What is optimal and why, what happens if you are not in that range?

Thanks!!!

Blown70

Not sure if this will help but the pinion angle will depend on the suspension your are running.  Leaf, Ladder, 4-link. 

Now for the others to tell you the degrees :icon_smile_big:

Chryco Psycho

to give the basic idea as power is tranmitted to the diff the pinion will try to climb the ring gear , & the best way to transmit power is through a straight driveshaft so no power is lost in the U jiont with it being at an angle so as the power is applied & the diff twists on the springs & end up in a straight line with the driveshaft.   The actual degree is dictated by how much torque you are making , How much traction you have & how soft the leaf springs are or how much they will deflect , clamping the front section of the spring tight with a Square top U bolt with allow less distortion in the spring . Having the spring deflect & snap straight will cause wheel hop , & I have seen some high torque cars wind the spring up enough that it stays bent after 1 run on slicks , generally if you are bending the springs you serious need to lok at Ladderbars or 4 link

Having the pinion sit too high say 2 * nose up can cause heavy vibration , too low wil vibrate too but not as bad

Generally a std street setup will have the pinion 4-7* nose down from the driveshaft angle & under load the pinion should rise so the driveshaft & pinion are very close to being in line

With 4 link & ladder bar systems the diff cannot rotate without lifting the whole body which is why these systems are used to use the full weight of the chassis as leverage & as the body lifts the driveshaft is still kept in line with the diff so the angle can be 1*- 2* nose down  

firefighter3931

:iagree: Generally speaking, the stiffer the front segment....the less negative pinion angle required. Springs flatten out and weaken over time so what works on a fresh set of springs might not be enough for more "seasoned" leafs. It's something that should probably be looked at every couple of years depending on use/abuse.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

There is a bit of a primer on this over at that other Mopar site.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle/8.html

Kern Dog

Years back before i knew much about pinion angles, I wanted to lower my 70 Charger after installing new XHD leafs. I bought some SS spring hangers at a swap meet and drilled holes as high up on the bracket as i could without having the front spring eye hit the body. I dont recall ever having any vibration problems until....
I installed a GV unit. This required me to use a shorter drive shaft. It apparantly didn't play well with the pinion angle because it now had an annoying vibration that I incorrectly blamed on the trans mount, the driveshaft, the U joints....
Anyhow, recently I decided to raise the rear up a bit since the springs have softened up and sagged a little. I put the original spring hangers back in and on the first test drive, the vibration was GONE. It was then that I had the "light bulb moment." Pinion angles are tricky.